Author Topic: Cheap twin stick for single toyota gear case forward shift.  (Read 10542 times)

skid

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 144
  • Male Posts: 295
  • Member since Oct '04
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Made a twin stick for "free" out of the spare parts I had. Would only work for a single gear case with forward shift. Steal a top shift fork/rail from friend who did duals. Pull the interlock pin and run one forward shift for high/low and top shift for 2/4wd.
Diggin a hole with plastic
90 ext cab toy, short 40 Iroks, detroit and diamond, mco8-r10 duals with twin stick, 4.7 gears and 30 spline Longs/hub gears-studs

Wermz84

• Rock Nerd!
  • Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 921
  • Male Posts: 3,518
  • Member since May '05
  • Ouch My Eye!
    • View Profile
sounds cool..   Lets see some :snapshot:
I like to Drive!

skid [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Oct '04
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile

Some key stock still needs to be welded to the forward shift rail to keep the shifter engaged.
The rails would be switched if your getting leftovers from a friend who went duals.
90 ext cab toy, short 40 Iroks, detroit and diamond, mco8-r10 duals with twin stick, 4.7 gears and 30 spline Longs/hub gears-studs

kyle_22r

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 530
  • Male Posts: 1,233
  • Member since Dec '03
  • yellow beast
    • View Profile
before twin sticks came out, some guys ground the shift rails and removed the interlock pill.  this let you get into 2-low with a single stick, as you can shift the rails independantly.  i hear it also makes a good theft deterrant because if you don't know how to shift it like that, and it's in neutral, it's hard to figure out.

4RnrRick

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 60
  • Member since Jan '04
    • View Profile
I made a picture to explain this since it took me a second to figure out what was going on....

I like the idea!

Wermz84

• Rock Nerd!
  • Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 921
  • Male Posts: 3,518
  • Member since May '05
  • Ouch My Eye!
    • View Profile
:suprised:

Nice work on the pics.  really helps the concept.  :yupyup:

Some key stock still needs to be welded to the forward shift rail to keep the shifter engaged.
The rails would be switched if your getting leftovers from a friend who went duals.
Nice work!! :beerchug:
I like to Drive!

Weldo

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 101
  • Male Posts: 454
  • Member since Jan '05
  • Use what you can, make what you can't.
    • View Profile
This is an awesome idea!  I'd love to have twin sticks but thought I couldn't have it til now.  I'm not real familiar with the insides of a Toy T-case, anyone have pics of the forks and rails you need to change, and parts that need welded?
Welders Hold the World Together!

skid [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Oct '04
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Marlin's tech support page has tons of info.  Great place to get a idea of what's what.  The shift forks need some metal welded to them similar to a dual case setup.   Keeps the shifter from floating around.

Weldo

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jan '05
    • View Profile
if you had 2-low with a single stick, what would the shift pattern be like...

2-lo     4-lo
  |         |
  |         |
2-hi        N
  |         |
  |         |
     4-hi

...or what?

Weldo

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jan '05
    • View Profile
I'm guessing to get 2-lo with one stick, this is where you would grind another groove.

skid [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Oct '04
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
I'm guessing to get 2-lo with one stick, this is where you would grind another groove.
I believe it's like this

kyle_22r

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 530
  • Male Posts: 1,233
  • Member since Dec '03
  • yellow beast
    • View Profile
actually, with 2-lo, you remove the part of the shift rod that keeps you from crossing back over to  2wd when you're in neutral or low range(the slots misalign so you can't move the shifter over).

shifting to 4lo is a 2 part deal with this setup -- you bring the shifter towards the left and shift down, then bring it to the right and push up to bring the box into low range.  to get into 2lo from 2hi, just bring the shifter to the right and up.

skid [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Oct '04
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
actually, with 2-lo, you remove the part of the shift rod that keeps you from crossing back over to  2wd when you're in neutral or low range(the slots misalign so you can't move the shifter over).

I've seen it done that way also.  My initial thought was, is there enough throw and how sloppy is the shifting going to be.  A loose shifter's create both ways.  No matter how you look at it, it's not a precision setup.  I won't give up my Marlin twin stick though.

Weldo

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jan '05
    • View Profile
I read that Marlin's twin stick won't work with forward shift T-cases.  Is there a way to make it work?

BigMike

• Administrator
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 2158
  • Male Posts: 18,292
  • Member since Apr '02
  • 511:1 Club
    • View Profile
    • Bone-Stock Plane-Jane 1981 Shortbed Pickup
This is because the base on forward shift transmissions are either a one-piece transmission + t/case base, or it has a different bolt and flange pattern. A Twin Stick could be designed to work with forward shift rails, and the shifter base would also most likely need to be modified.

BigMike
Check out our new Rock Crawling Videos!
2016 56-speed 580:1 Tacoma Rock Crawler   
1981 36-speed 511:1 3RZ-FE Rock Crawler
1987 6-speed Supercharged 4A-GZE MR2
Instagram: @SlowestTacoma
Things are only impossible until they are not.
"The worst of both worlds, the best of neither." -abnormaltoy
"An informed question. But difficult to answer. I am what you see." -Nanaki

Weldo

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jan '05
    • View Profile
I notice the twin stick kit is available for forward shift T-cases from 1984-1988, If I got a twin stick for my 91 (with a W56C I believe) would my only modification be redrilling some mounting holes for the plate or possibly making an adapter plate?

Weldo

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jan '05
    • View Profile
Can anyone tell me why Marlin's twin stick can be used with 84-88 forward shift T-cases but not with forward shift cases from 89-95?  What's the difference?

skid [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Oct '04
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Can anyone tell me why Marlin's twin stick can be used with 84-88 forward shift T-cases but not with forward shift cases from 89-95?  What's the difference?
   The 89-95 w56 trans shifter base has a integrated t-case shifter.  It's one piece so it can't be replaced with the twin stick base.

Weldo

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jan '05
    • View Profile
Would the twin stick wowrk with a W56 if I found a way to mount it?  I mean , assuming it could be mounted somehow, would it still function properly?  Sorry about this thread getting a little off topic...

skid [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Oct '04
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Would the twin stick wowrk with a W56 if I found a way to mount it?  I mean , assuming it could be mounted somehow, would it still function properly?  Sorry about this thread getting a little off topic...

Alot of work and I suppose you could weld the twin stick base too the w56 c/d shifter base.   Way too much work in my opinion..  I'd hate to spend the money and screw it up let alone weld on the twin stick base.  Much simpler to find a shifter and top shift fork and do what I did in this thread.

Weldo

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jan '05
    • View Profile
yeah, i hear ya.  I don't think I need twin sticks that bad...  Thanks for all your advice though!