Author Topic: Bentley manual any good?  (Read 1431 times)

Spulen81

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since Jun '06
    • View Profile
Bentley manual any good?
« on: Jun 27, 2006, 07:54:02 AM »
I've been searching for a decent manual for my truck.  I would like a FSM but I was wondering if the Robert Bentley manual is decent or not.  I use them for my other cars, mainly VWs and they are decent usually. 
'86 4Runner TDI (VW)
'87 4Runner parts truck

BLACKDOG

• 3.0 Killer
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 718
  • Male Posts: 7,644
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
Re: Bentley manual any good?
« Reply #1 on: Jun 27, 2006, 03:37:18 PM »
:dunno: never heard of it.  The only ones I know of beside thethe FSM is the Haynes and the Chilton.  Neither are all that great, I like the Haynes manual better though.  IF you use the two in conjunction, you've got a half decent manual
:usa: Its better to die on your feet than live on your knees :usa:

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free. "

"I don't believe in a government that protects us from ourselves."
              -Ronald Reagan

Don't take life too seriously, it isn't permanent

Spulen81 [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since Jun '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Jun 28, 2006, 07:54:29 AM »
It seems like everytime I buy a Haynes it doesn't have the info in it that I bought it for, haha.  I really want a FSM but they are kinda pricey.
'86 4Runner TDI (VW)
'87 4Runner parts truck

Skinny_Pedal

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 89
  • Male Posts: 2,833
  • Member since Apr '04
  • work so I can support my lifestyle
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #3 on: Jun 28, 2006, 10:39:38 AM »
bently manuals are killer for german vehcile. the fsm is the only good manual for the yoder. go on ebay there a dime a dozen there
Im an OG

Wermz84

• Rock Nerd!
  • Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 921
  • Male Posts: 3,518
  • Member since May '05
  • Ouch My Eye!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Jun 28, 2006, 04:28:18 PM »
Expensive is Reading the chilton manual, (believing it :headshake: ), And then have to pay Toyata twice for the same labor because the order in which the chilton manual says to do the work is wrong..  :tantrum:  The ex heard me screaming and cursing from inside the house and came out to find me smashing the Chilton against the side of my truck until all of the pages were out, and I had jumped up and down on it's lifeless carcass...       I ordered the FSM the next day and have never looked back.  :yesnod:

I might use one again for the capacity charts.  Maybee
Just my experience.  I vote FSM.    :thumbs:

side note
I just got a vw so now I know what manual to get. 
I like to Drive!

abnormaltoy

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 714
  • Male Posts: 640
  • Member since Jul '03
  • I'll do the thinnin' around here Baba Looey!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Jun 28, 2006, 04:38:16 PM »
Expensive is Reading the chilton manual, (believing it :headshake: ), And then have to pay Toyata twice for the same labor because the order in which the chilton manual says to do the work is wrong..  :tantrum:  The ex heard me screaming and cursing from inside the house and came out to find me smashing the Chilton against the side of my truck until all of the pages were out, and I had jumped up and down on it's lifeless carcass...       I ordered the FSM the next day and have never looked back.  :yesnod:

I might use one again for the capacity charts.  Maybee
Just my experience.  I vote FSM.    :thumbs:

side note
I just got a vw so now I know what manual to get. 

Dittos on the Chiltons, Haynes is always missing the stuff you don't know how to do...no matter what it is, the FSM is the way to go.
You could modify your truck so heavily that manuals no longer cover anything!
The things that come to those who wait, may be the things left by those who got there first.

I contend that for a nation to try to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle.
-- Winston Churchill

Censorship, that most subtle tool of oppression, the tool of the fearful and small minded. 8/15/2008

"It is interesting that we are asked to NOT judge all Muslims by the actions of a few lunatics. Too bad gun owners can't get same judgment."
Travis Tritt (I know!)