Author Topic: Need some opinons  (Read 3009 times)

Rainer

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 1
  • Male Posts: 256
  • Member since Sep '06
    • View Profile
Need some opinons
« on: Dec 30, 2006, 01:41:43 PM »
I have been looking for a toyota for awile now and was wondering what your guys think of these 3. Any imput would be greatly appreciated. Thanks :eyebrow:

http://www.wildyoats.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=13351
http://www.wildyoats.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=13612
http://denver.craigslist.org/car/253725494.html

Keep in mind that I only have 3500 to spend. Maybe I can talk these guys  down some.
 :gap:
Mark
!!!FREEDOM IS NEVER FREE!!!!!!!!
1985 Toyota 4runner
22re rebuilt(offroad cam, internalls from enginebuilder)
5.29s with elockers f/r (high pinion front, v6 rear)
3inch suspensions 2 inch body
33 inch mixed tires. (bfg at, firestone at?)

Shamb

• Raisin in the making..
  • Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 133
  • Male Posts: 3,414
  • Member since Oct '04
  • Proud Parent
    • View Profile
Re: Need some opinons
« Reply #1 on: Dec 30, 2006, 04:01:44 PM »
I'd pass on all those personally.

1. Has no picture and is lacking ALOT of valueable information.
2. Way to much lift.. not to fond of the drivetrain situation.
3. Also way to much lift, spool'd.. has cheap parts..

I'd imagine #2 or 3 doesn't have $4k into them.. yet thats what they're trying to get out.

Keep looking, you want something with less lift for a lower center of gravity.

What type of wheeling do you do?
Will this be a DD or strait offroad only?
How much do you plan on driving this on a daily basis IF its a DD?
What kind of smog regulations do you have in your area?

These are the type of questions you must ask yourself first..

R.I.P to my Papa, I miss you pops......

Knowledge is power  www.pirate4x4.com/forum

New Buildup in process 85' 4runner "Bad Decisions"
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=52566.0

Check out my 1-ton build up thread
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=22600.0

Stinky

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 8
  • Male Posts: 636
  • Member since Aug '05
  • my wifes vagine, it hangs like a sleeve of wizard
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Dec 30, 2006, 04:05:51 PM »
hmmmmm....the 3rd one sounds goo, well they all do, FIRST, go look at them in person, no pictures...NEXT, take a little hammer n tap along the framerails to see if its rotted out or about to take a :pokinit:...ESPECIALLY next to the gas tank....NEXT, look at all the fabrication, if u dont kno much about fab work or wat quality stuff looks like, find someone that does n take them along to look at themfor/with you...dont buy :pokinit: thats black person rigged, cuz if it fails on the street, u put alot of ppl's lives at danger...

if ya really wanna get into Toy's, id buy one thats ifs, 4wd, with a solid frame, then find a SFA n do a sas, YOURSELF, have ppl that kno wat their doing help you if need be...that way you know ure rig inside n out, thats how i did mine, and i wouldnt have it any other way(as in building wise, i want links, but its just isnt in my budget right now)....

and always do ure homework before u tear into something, cuz the last thing u need is a money pit.....  do it once, do it right
87 p/u SAS, 22RE, built, then cut up and scrapped

94 ex cab P/U, SR5, fully loaded, 3.4 swap, r150f, a/c, bumpers, 33s, glass fenders...sold

00 Stoopid Duty 250, ex cab, lariat, v-10,000

94 reg cab, 22re, duals, 38.5 boggers, sas, 4 link, tube bed, build underway... http://pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=967836

88 Samurai, soa, buick 3.8, th350, zuki case, 1/4 done... anyone wanna buy it??

Rainer [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Sep '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Dec 30, 2006, 04:43:58 PM »
You guys have alot of good points. On the two without pics. I emailed both of the ones from Wild Yoats, for pics and some more details. From stinky you said to get an ifs and then do a sas. Well i would do that, but I am on a limited budget. I would like to at least buy a some what modded rig. No. 3 doesnt have 10 inches of lift. He says he does, but i dont think he does. THis rig is not a dd, but it will be driven to trails. I am learning how to do alot of this stuff right now. I am going to a tech school taking auto tech, so I am learning. I will probubly go look at the one I get a email back from saying it is not sold. I am going to wait on #3 till he lowers the price abit more.

There is an awsome ext. cab on auto trader near me that I would really want, but it is to pricey. Here is his rig.
http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.jsp?car_id=206075193&dealer_id=58167093&car_year=1988&num_records=&search_type=used&make=TOYOTA&model=TACOMA&make3=TOYOTA&distance=100&transmission=&make2=TOYOTA&address=80003&certified=&advanced=&model3=4RUN&model2=PICKUP&max_mileage=&bkms=1160359973522&max_price=15000&sort_type=priceDESC&min_price=1&first_record=76&body_code=0&end_year=2001&color=&start_year=1985&drive=&pager.offset=75&engine=&fuel=&style_flag=1&doors=&cardist=30

Mark
1985 Toyota 4runner

BLACKDOG

• 3.0 Killer
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 718
  • Male Posts: 7,644
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Dec 30, 2006, 05:28:06 PM »
Mabye its just me, but that black runner on CL looks like the front axle housing is bent :dunno:

If I were you, I'd look for an early '80s truck, or an unbuilt first gen runner.  I went the partially built rig way, and I wound up having to go through everything anyway, and spending just as much $$ as if I had started from a stock truck.  A stock toy is prety capable, and especially since you're in the auto tech, I'd go that route for the education.  As stinky said, there is something about knowing your rig inside and out, because you've built it.  :thumbs:
:usa: Its better to die on your feet than live on your knees :usa:

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free. "

"I don't believe in a government that protects us from ourselves."
              -Ronald Reagan

Don't take life too seriously, it isn't permanent

Rainer [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Sep '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Dec 30, 2006, 05:36:11 PM »
That is true Blackdog, I would like to know it inside and out. The only thing i dont like is if I buy a stoc one, i wont have enough money to lift it. A stock 4runner near me without front seats and a rebuilt engine is 2750 neg. That is one of the only stock 85s near me, all the other trucks are 86s or newer. I went and looked at a regular cab about a month ago and its clutch needed to be replaced, the engine wouldnt start. I hate regular cabs also. Once he go the engine started, I drove it. I was having trouble letting the clutch out all the way without hitting me knee on the steering wheel. He wanted 2900 for it too :eek: :yikes:. So it is slim pickings. I will take in all of your guys' ideas. Thanks

Mark
1985 Toyota 4runner

BLACKDOG

• 3.0 Killer
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 718
  • Male Posts: 7,644
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Dec 30, 2006, 05:46:03 PM »
That is true Blackdog, I would like to know it inside and out. The only thing i dont like is if I buy a stoc one, i wont have enough money to lift it. A stock 4runner near me without front seats and a rebuilt engine is 2750 neg. That is one of the only stock 85s near me, all the other trucks are 86s or newer. I went and looked at a regular cab about a month ago and its clutch needed to be replaced, the engine wouldnt start. I hate regular cabs also. Once he go the engine started, I drove it. I was having trouble letting the clutch out all the way without hitting me knee on the steering wheel. He wanted 2900 for it too :eek: :yikes:. So it is slim pickings. I will take in all of your guys' ideas. Thanks

Mark

An '85 four runner?  22re?  It doesn't cost a lot to lift a SA truck.  If you poke around on here, you'll find that you can use your rears up front withs some leaves removed, and use some junkyard springs (63" chevies, f150s, etc.) 
:usa: Its better to die on your feet than live on your knees :usa:

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free. "

"I don't believe in a government that protects us from ourselves."
              -Ronald Reagan

Don't take life too seriously, it isn't permanent

Rainer [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Sep '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Dec 30, 2006, 05:58:46 PM »
Yeah i read the whole thread on 63s up front. I just still need to read a bit more. I still dont understand how much leaves I will need to fit 38s. My parents wont let me wheel untill it has a roll cage, and a winch so not all of my money can go to the liftv. I already have a warn 8274. I would aslo need new ring and pinions for my tires. And any other things I may need to fix.

Mark
1985 Toyota 4runner

Stinky

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Aug '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Jan 01, 2007, 04:53:51 PM »
if ure just gettin nto wheelin get an ifs truck, cut the fenders, tuck 33s n wheel it....as you get more experience, mod it(lockers, cam, header, tires, bumpers, sliders, etc....), then once u think you've figured out limits of the truck(how far till she goes shiny side down, wat speed n rpm u can shift w/ out the clutch, where every inch of the truck is w/ out looking, how to fix mostly everything on it(to a point), then save ure money....cuz ure not gonna learn a whle toyota i a week, month or even a damn year....and once you kno ure truck, swap the axle :biggthumpup:.....

its like growin up...you crawled before you walked n you walked before u could run....everything happens in stages...

94 ex cab P/U, SR5, fully loaded, 3.4 swap, r150f, a/c, bumpers, 33s, glass fenders...sold

94 reg cab, 22re, duals, 38.5 boggers, sas, 4 link, tube bed, build underway... http://pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=967836

Rainer [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Sep '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Jan 01, 2007, 05:04:36 PM »
Im not new to wheeling. Yes that is how to learn. I wheeled my Bronco alot before I sold it. It was a manual, so know. If I was a newb to wheeling, that is the way I would go.

Mark
1985 Toyota 4runner

Rainer [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Sep '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Jan 01, 2007, 07:34:08 PM »
I just found a toyota for sale that is on 42s and has a D60 in front and a 14b in the rear. The only problem I see is that it has full hydro steering, and that is horrible on the roads, right? What would it cost to make it back into the push/pull steering? Here is the link to his add.

http://www.wildyoats.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=12617

What do you guys think about this one? Pics for it are further down.

Mark
1985 Toyota 4runner

TRHS1980

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 2
  • Male Posts: 234
  • Member since Apr '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Jan 01, 2007, 07:58:38 PM »
From my understanding, full hydro is illegal on the street. With all that weight and 42" tires, stock push pull wouldn't work for practical use. You could probably spend your well earned cash better :dunno:  :twocents:
2007 Tacoma 4x4 6-speed on 35's

"In all affairs it's a healthy thing now and then to hang a question mark on the things you have long taken for granted."

Shamb

• Raisin in the making..
  • Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 133
  • Male Posts: 3,414
  • Member since Oct '04
  • Proud Parent
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Jan 01, 2007, 08:05:01 PM »
not a DD but a good price for what it has, I didn't see any pictures. The flat black truck didn't have 42's and still had x-over steering.

R.I.P to my Papa, I miss you pops......

Knowledge is power  www.pirate4x4.com/forum

New Buildup in process 85' 4runner "Bad Decisions"
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=52566.0

Check out my 1-ton build up thread
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=22600.0

Rainer [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Sep '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Jan 02, 2007, 08:17:47 AM »
From my understanding, full hydro is illegal on the street. With all that weight and 42" tires, stock push pull wouldn't work for practical use. You could probably spend your well earned cash better :dunno:  :twocents:

Oh i didnt know it was illegal. I woul take outsome leaves and maybe run 39s or 38s. Then I would change the steering. I dont know maybe to much work. I dont know I will keep looking. Thanks

Mark
1985 Toyota 4runner

Stinky

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Aug '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Jan 02, 2007, 09:40:52 AM »
sorry, thought by where ya started the thread u were new to wheelin...oooopsies...but ya its still good to start off w/ a stocker...yet toy's are simple trucks, which is prolly why their so damn good...just get a manual, i'd go w/ haines, ive never had trouble w/ anything with their manual....lotsa diagrams too...