Author Topic: small diesel engine needed  (Read 1901 times)

David

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 218
  • Male Posts: 263
  • Member since Jan '03
  • I love Marlin Crawler!
    • View Profile
small diesel engine needed
« on: May 06, 2006, 10:12:00 PM »
Howdy. I am in need of a small diesel engine with from 1-4 cylinders. Something like a VW would do. Only need the engine but would consider a whole car if it is trashed/junk and the engine runs. .
Don't want to spend big bucks as this engine is only going to be a test engine for bio-fuel.
This is the perfect time to get rid of that annoying piece of junk taking up space in your yard.
I'm in N. Cal so something in this area would be preferred.

What'ca got and how much??

« Last Edit: May 07, 2006, 04:02:13 PM by David »

David [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Jan '03
  • I love Marlin Crawler!
    • View Profile
Re: small diesel engine needed
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2006, 07:25:12 AM »
Bump to page one. Still looking...

kneedownnate

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1128
  • Male Posts: 9,757
  • Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2006, 10:12:25 AM »
Just curious, a test engine for bio?  If you're wondering if a vw will run on bio then I think there are thousands before you with a resounding yes!  What kinda tests are we talking about?
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

BoG-ToY

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 594
  • Male Posts: 2,122
  • Member since Dec '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2006, 11:06:08 AM »
what part of norcal? theres a guy here in redding area.....I was taken hits off his tail pipe....nothing.....OH YEAH, no mods done to truck
Sand, what fun, drop pressure to 12psi, stock tires are still digging, can't afford to get stuck, 8psi, still not working. Find a place to GET OUT, air up, un-lock hubs,  WAIT whats this, hubs are UN-LOCKED already. 2wd, 8psi, stock tires, Oregon sand dunes.

red

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: 199
  • Male Posts: 1,616
  • Member since Jan '05
  • irish redhead texan, interesting combo
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2006, 08:15:59 PM »
biodiesel works, i've made my own and used it in my old f250 with the 7.3L (before the powerstroke, 89) truck ran quieter, smoother, and got the same performance/gas mileage. only downside, i kept smellin long john silvers every time i stopped at a light.
read and comment :whip:

USAF EOD tech

David [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Jan '03
  • I love Marlin Crawler!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2006, 07:09:38 AM »
kneedownnate.My son and I are building a veggie oil/bio fuel setup and I want to test batches of bio before putting it in my Dodge 5.9 turbo 24V. I know lots of folks use it with great results, I thought an engine to test the first batches would be a good thing.

billybobf. I'm in Lake County off of highway 20 (beween 5 and 101). Diesel has hit $3.40 a gal here and premium gas is $3.62.

Red.. Did you filter/heat/stir and use additives or just filter and go?
Dave

red

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: 199
  • Male Posts: 1,616
  • Member since Jan '05
  • irish redhead texan, interesting combo
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2006, 12:51:09 PM »
heated to 125 F, mixed the lye/methanol, stirred by pump for 1-2 hours. let sit (still being kept at around 90-100) for 2 days. drained glycerine, got to some soaps, closed valve, ran through filters (2 inline, changed after every 5 batches of 20 gallons) by using my pump, which is how i stirred it before, let sit for another day. drained last few drops of glycerine and what little soap (if any was left), then pumped through filters again, then pumped into fuel tank.

i did this during the winter/spring, so heat was needed to keep the chemicals mixing properly, but with current temps the heat should only be needed to heat up the oil before u add the chemicals, during the mixing, then you can shut off the heaters (your choice, but depends on how quickly you want the fuel to be made. kept at 125 F would make the fuel in around 1-2 days, but would require more filtering and would have less fuel due to soap buildup (the slower reacting particles because they have water in them) the longer it sits, the more fuel and the better it is mixed. BUT MAKE SURE TO FILTER!!! # of times to filter depends on how much water is in your oil, and how pure you want your fuel to be.

ps. alot easier to change out filters on your processor than it is to change them on your truck. make sure that when you are filtering out your oil that you stop periodicly, say every 30-45 minutes, to drain your water seperators on your filters (either buy them new, or go to a junk yard and get the water seperators mounted to the fuel filters (and the filter mounts) from a truck.)

then check your water seperator a little more often on your truck (say every couple of days) until you find out how much water is left over in your tank. you WILL GO THROUGH A FEW FILTERS with the first couple of batches of biodiesel, i replaced about 7 or 8 filters on my truck within the 1st 4 batches, just the tanks/lines being cleaned out. after that, i didnt go through any more filters. my truck was an 89, so it had built up a fare amount of crud in the tanks.
read and comment :whip:

USAF EOD tech