Author Topic: egr q/a?  (Read 1244 times)

olemisstoy88

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: -381
  • Male Posts: 521
  • Member since Dec '05
    • View Profile
egr q/a?
« on: Apr 17, 2006, 11:13:40 PM »
can the egr be blocked off completely? and can the  engine still run well.
i know thats an emmissions thing and wont pass smog and all. but there is none of that in place wheree i live. I dont have a smog pump and I was wondering if I can zap the egr too. or will the engine not run?
88. 4x2  Total chaos 6.5" caddy uniball kit  Racerunner 2.5 x 14" coilovers on front, 62" deavers, fabbed engine/shock cage, bed cage, roll cage and great frame, complete int., (5) 5x4.5 outlaw II w/235 buckshots <----- parting out! make offer

'84 4x4 . 5 speed 22r  3.5" lift  33x10.5s bfg MTs  Hannamann Glass frontcap, 32/36weber, LCE swirlie plate, Magnaflow,
"Im madder than Toby Keith at a Dixie Chicks concert"

olemisstoy88 [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Dec '05
    • View Profile
Re: egr q/a?
« Reply #1 on: Apr 17, 2006, 11:14:39 PM »
BTW I know the egr can be restricted to a 1/4 whole so can it be blocked alltogether?
88. 4x2  Total chaos 6.5" caddy uniball kit  Racerunner 2.5 x 14" coilovers on front, 62" deavers, fabbed engine/shock cage, bed cage, roll cage and great frame, complete int., (5) 5x4.5 outlaw II w/235 buckshots <----- parting out! make offer

'84 4x4 . 5 speed 22r  3.5" lift  33x10.5s bfg MTs  Hannamann Glass frontcap, 32/36weber, LCE swirlie plate, Magnaflow,

UGLYTOY

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since Dec '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Apr 18, 2006, 08:28:57 AM »
haven't notice if yours is carbed or injected--i had an old carb'd one that the egr tube was blocked w/carbon--it ran fine, but pinged under any kind of a load--once egr tube was cleaned, it didn't ping (ie, yours will ping unless u have injection, which will probably just retard the timing because of the knock sensor and give u crappy power)--just disconnect the vacuum hose to the egr and that will tell u how it will run (unless it is already leaking)

olemisstoy88 [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Dec '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Apr 18, 2006, 03:24:44 PM »
injected.  Thanks will try that. I want to do this also because My new headers have a leak on the egr air line port. so I want to just eliminate the damn thing as a whole.

BigMike

• Administrator
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 2159
  • Male Posts: 18,292
  • Member since Apr '02
  • 511:1 Club
    • View Profile
    • Bone-Stock Plane-Jane 1981 Shortbed Pickup
« Reply #4 on: Apr 18, 2006, 04:34:46 PM »
Yup, all you've gotta do is remove the vacuum line that runs to the diaphragm on the EGR itself. Make sure to plug the vacuum line (on the intake side) to avoid vacuum leaks.

I have heard pros and cons about how the ECU is programmed with the crappy exhaust gases being recirculated into the intake heating everything up and that with the EGR disabled, it will actually get worse performance, but I have never seen a dyno sheet to back up this claim. Back in the days with my MR2, I remember installing a simple open/closed switchable vacuum solenoid in that vacuum line that runs to the EGR diaphragm, and I would run it up to 100 a couple of times with the switch turned on and off and I could not notice any difference in power, but what was nice about disabling the EGR is that the ENTIRE intake plenum would actually be cool to the touch, where as before it would be almost too hot to touch.

Another good thing to have is a restriction on the hot water supply to your throttle body. I use a simple brass 1/4" water pipe valve which I set at about 90% closed. This allows for enough hot water to get to the throttle body to not disrupt the "Warm" condition idle, but little enough water that after about 10 seconds of driving the throttle body has cooled back down since there is not enough heat dissipation from the "controlled" hot water supply to the throttle body. And since the throttle body is connected to the intake plenum, now there is NOTHING left to heat up the intake manifold except for the cylinder head, which of course is at the end of the plenum anyhow.

That combined with a water/alcohol mist system and you will start to see condensation forming on the outside of your intake plenum as it cools itself to apprx. 40-50 degrees F, even on a hot summer day in the sun light.

Man those were the days......
Check out our new Rock Crawling Videos!
2016 56-speed 580:1 Tacoma Rock Crawler   
1981 36-speed 511:1 3RZ-FE Rock Crawler
1987 6-speed Supercharged 4A-GZE MR2
Instagram: @SlowestTacoma
Things are only impossible until they are not.
"The worst of both worlds, the best of neither." -abnormaltoy
"An informed question. But difficult to answer. I am what you see." -Nanaki

olemisstoy88 [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Dec '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Apr 24, 2006, 08:00:21 PM »
So I have disconnected the egr, I have noticed less of an exhaust smell in the cab and no diference in gas milage or tailpipe smoke. i want to remove the whole thing, its just excess weight. what all is it hooked to and can i just cut a gasket to fix the flanges and seal them up?

Duckman

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since Oct '03
  • Samurai master
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Apr 26, 2006, 05:56:48 PM »
If you remove the EGR valve, your motor will ping under load unless you like running higher octane fuel.  It really won't affect mileage or smoke because EGR is used to lower Oxides of Nitrogen NOx emissions that are invisible unless you live in Cali then you will notice that cloud all the time called smog :sheerterror:

Removing is a waste because a properly functioning EGR gets turned off at higher throttle openings and engine load anyway so why bother?

Also, if your rig has a temp. sensor EGRT at the EGR valve, the computer will know that the EGR is working and throw a check engine light. 
Don't make fun of my tiny driveshaft!!!