Author Topic: 1988 Toyota Pick Up 22R OVER HEATING AT IDLE ONLY  (Read 4811 times)

MalibuFrank

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since Apr '06
    • View Profile
1988 Toyota Pick Up 22R OVER HEATING AT IDLE ONLY
« on: Apr 15, 2006, 11:12:02 PM »
I just topped off the radiator and drove for a while with normal operating temperature. I then pull into a parking lot and let truck idle in night time cool temps of 60 degrees and after a few minutes temp gauge begins to go up and into overheating. I them begin driving again at 35-55mph and I watch gauge drop to normal temp within a minute or two. I checked all the spark plugs and all look the same with little or no deposits. At idle the fan is spinning. No noticable leak of fluid. No noticable oil in radiator, water, or cap. No noticable water in oil on dipstick. I do have a VERY TINY bit of creamy colored goo in the oil filler cap but I want to say again VERY TINY BIT. I tried changing the thermostat with a Prestone brand 306-180 and that did not fix the problem. I did not notice the orientation of the "jiggle pin/bleed hole when I pulled the old thermostat so I put the new one in at 12 oclock position(jiggle pin pointing to the front of truck). I do not know how to "TEST" the fan clutch or the water pump but there is no play if I try to jiggle the fan and the fan is turning at idle when the truck is over heating. I think it may be a leaking head gasket, cracked cylinder head, or the water pump is not circulating at idle.

Anyone have some ideas or tests for me?

Anyone know the correct oreintation for the jigglepin/bleed hole?

Anyone know how to test for bad or slow pumping water pump?

The truck is all stock and the engine was rebuilt about 20,000 miles ago.

Thanks,

Frank

BigMike

• Administrator
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 2159
  • Male Posts: 18,292
  • Member since Apr '02
  • 511:1 Club
    • View Profile
    • Bone-Stock Plane-Jane 1981 Shortbed Pickup
What you need to do is next time the engine is at operating temperature and you are letting it idle, get out, open the hood, and use your hands to compare the temperature difference of the upper and lower radiator hose. This will tell you if your radiator is working. The upper hose should be so hot that you can not leave your hand on it for more than 1-2 secs (apprx 190° F), but the lower radiator hose should be warm enough that you can leave your hand on it for nearly 5-6 secs (apprx 120° F).
THERE MUST BE A LARGE DEFINATE NOTICABLE TEMPERATURE DIFFERENCE in the two hoses!! If there are not, then, as my first advise, your radiator is plugged and needs to be taken to a radiator shop and flushed.

As for your headgasket and your water pump, just ignore those for right now. I wouldn't want to assume its those so neither should you :greengrin: But for future reference, there are two ways to check a bad head gasket: 1) Inspect for moisture in your crank case by looking for any moisture under the valve cover cap, and 2) run a compression test on the engine. As for the water pump, the only way to really check it is to pull it off and inspect the timing cover for wear. There needs to be considerable wear on the timing cover in order for the coolant to begin cavitating behind the pump. This is usually not the case but its still a possibility.

If I may ask, what brand thermostat are you using? I have put in a perfectly good brand-new out-of-the-box Stant thermostat and it was junk the first time I went out for a test drive. I hope you and everyone else who reads this ONLY uses Genuine Toyota thermostats. You will thankyouself later

The way to test your clutch fan is to wiggle it back and worth (With the engine off) and if you feel resistance, then it is good. You may need to wiggle 4 or 5 different fans at the same time to gain an understanding of how much or how little resistance is acceptable, if you have never done this..

BigMike
Check out our new Rock Crawling Videos!
2016 56-speed 580:1 Tacoma Rock Crawler   
1981 36-speed 511:1 3RZ-FE Rock Crawler
1987 6-speed Supercharged 4A-GZE MR2
Instagram: @SlowestTacoma
Things are only impossible until they are not.
"The worst of both worlds, the best of neither." -abnormaltoy
"An informed question. But difficult to answer. I am what you see." -Nanaki

Willy Mammoth

• Rock Ninja
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 4,252
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
If you are over heating sitting still and not when moving your fan clutch is not pulling air through the radiator or you don't have a fan shroud.

If you let it sit and build heat and put a strong fan if front of the truck the temp should go down.

I would repack the fan clutch or replace it with an OEM like replacement.
:usa: American by birth, redneck by choice. 

Making Of http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=6472.0  

Sightings Of  http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=10805.0

Plowking

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: -75
  • Male Posts: 504
  • Member since Jan '05
  • Awesome yota
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a drink
I ran into that as well and found it to be a clogged radiator like mike said, run your hand over the radiator and feel for cooler spots, I would replace the radiator if that is in fact your problem, go for a 3 core unit. It can be the problem that is not seen or obvious.

Good luck
2008 Dodge Diesel  (Cummins Rule)
6.7 manual quad 8 foot bed H&S delete, banks air box
93 yota 3.0 locked up...
2004 Yamaha Raptor 660R