Author Topic: 3RZ help  (Read 1741 times)

hopper

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 143
  • Member since Feb '06
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
3RZ help
« on: Mar 29, 2006, 01:16:30 PM »
I have read and re-read the 3RZ data base but I still need help.  What will i need besides a engine, wiring, and the ecu to put the 3RZ into my '85 Pickup w/ a 22R?  I will need motor mounts (is marlin still going to make some that are weld on?) and what else?  Can I use my 5spd thats in it now?  If I remember right Bevin used his.  How is that holding up?  If it's not strong enough what should I use?     Any and all help is appreciated.    THANKS in advance.

jimbo74

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 2872
  • Male Posts: 8,707
  • Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
Re: 3RZ help
« Reply #1 on: Mar 29, 2006, 02:49:50 PM »
the tranny is strong enough.... you will need the bellhousing from the donor vehicle, i beleive its a w58 or w59, it will bolt up to the w56, well that if you are using a w56 tranny now
:usa:

The cost of freedom is always high, but Americans have always paid it. And one path we shall never choose, and that is the path of surrender, or submission.

~ John F. Kennedy ~

BigMike

• Administrator
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 2159
  • Male Posts: 18,292
  • Member since Apr '02
  • 511:1 Club
    • View Profile
    • Bone-Stock Plane-Jane 1981 Shortbed Pickup
« Reply #2 on: Mar 29, 2006, 04:11:47 PM »
Yup, you will need a 3RZ 5spd bell housing, which is from a W59 5spd transmission. Then, since the G- and W-series transmissions have the same bell housing bolt pattern, either transmission series can be used. The 3RZ flywheel, clutch, and clutch fork will mate right up to the Hilux G50/52 or W56/58 5spd transmissions.

You will need an electric fuel pump setup capable of maintaining at least ~40psi fuel pressure throughout the 3RZ's rpm band. I am using a 1986 2WD 22R-E Fuel Pump. So any EFI fuel pump will work. My fuel line setup is described in GREAT DETAIL on Replys #523 and #524 of my Project Thread, Page 14. I used 5/16" line on the high pressure side (inlet) and 1/4" line on the low pressure side (return).

Currently there are no direct bolt in Engine mounts available AFAIK. We talk about it every now and then, but the problem is that there is no one at the shop who is into 3RZs while I am away. I imagine that on my return to full time hours this summer that we will finally get an engine mount kit built.

I highly recommend buying a Genuine Toyota Wiring Book for whatever year/model your 3RZ came from. I got mine, which was for a 1995 Toyota T100 Wiring Diagram, for around $70 as I recall. There is a maintenance book (very think) that does not cover any wiring, so becareful to get only the (thinner) Wiring Specific Book.

What year and model did your 3RZ come out of? If it's from a 2WD T100, then you are set. Otherwise, do you understand what Oil Pan and Dip Stick modifications are required? There are part numbers listed on the forum. Any non-T100 3RZ will require a T100 3RZ Oil Pan (rear sump) and Dip Stick (if desired). The Tacoma dip stick can be used over if you bend it slightly and then reindex it according to the actual "Full" level.

Other than that its a pretty straight forward engine swap. You will be required to wire in the Ignition circuits, provide power to the Starter and Engine fuse box if you keep it, which I recommend. I recommend against using two fuse boxes, and by using the T100/Tacoma fuse boxes, In general, the only external circuits you will need to hook up are the head lights and the horn, which of course are already prewired with fuses in the factory T100/Tacoma fuse box since both the T100 and the Tacoma come with head lights and horns, just like your Hilux. Otherwise you will have to figure out the charging system and EFI circuits if you wish to use just the Hilux fuse box, and its possible that there may not even be enough fuses there to even cover all of the 3RZ circuits. I don't know because I've never done a swap with that fuse box.

I've got to get going right now, so throw back some more questions after reading this and lets see where we are at

Cya
BigMike
Check out our new Rock Crawling Videos!
2016 56-speed 580:1 Tacoma Rock Crawler   
1981 36-speed 511:1 3RZ-FE Rock Crawler
1987 6-speed Supercharged 4A-GZE MR2
Instagram: @SlowestTacoma
Things are only impossible until they are not.
"The worst of both worlds, the best of neither." -abnormaltoy
"An informed question. But difficult to answer. I am what you see." -Nanaki

hopper [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Feb '06
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Mar 29, 2006, 04:36:48 PM »
I haven't got an engine yet.  I wanted to get a list of everything I need before I start so I can get it back on the road as soon as possible.  Its my daily driver.  It looks like a T100 3RZ is the best way and the easiest.  Thanks   I will look through everything again and hopefully this will start soon. :yupyup:

hopper [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Feb '06
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Mar 29, 2006, 05:05:12 PM »
I read somewhere that your going to/ have put a/c on your truck.  How hard was/ is that?  How hard will that be to wire in if I currently have no a/c?  Vegas heat is enough to kill someone.  :maddest:

hopper [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Feb '06
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Mar 29, 2006, 10:50:16 PM »
I was thinking about having a friend make me a bigger gas tank.  My first question is how much space should there be between the tank and the exhaust(mostly the muffler)?  And secondly if I get a bigger tank made will it effect how the gas meter reads?

brc

• Offline Rock Master
  • Male Posts: 139
  • Member since Mar '06
  • Famous last words - Hold my beer and watch this
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Mar 30, 2006, 01:48:32 PM »
I am in the process of the swap right now.  I am going to build a tank for mine as well.  I have never built a fuel cell before and I am interested as well.

It is another excuse to use the new tig.

Thanks for any info.

brc
1999 CTD 2500 Sport TST/MBRP/AFE/K&N and Quadzilla 315's yada-yada-yada
1985 Four runner 5in lift 35's lockers etc.
1973 FJ buggy project INWK 3RZ SM420 Mini Axles and Aluminum tub/cowl building to be light weight

hopper [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Feb '06
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Apr 01, 2006, 06:17:56 PM »
BigMike where you at? :attention:  Your the :king: of the 3RZ's.  We need your info.  PLEASE! :bowdown:  LOL

4RnrRick

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 60
  • Member since Jan '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Apr 07, 2006, 01:22:30 PM »
I'm in the middle of the swap right now also.... Well its a complete truck buildup basically from scratch so theres a lot of info to weed through. my build up link is Project Quaismodo over on Pirate.

And heres the part numbers for the 2wd T-100 oil pan conversion.

Rear sump oil pan conversion parts for 2.7L 3RZ-FE
12101-75060 Oil Pan, (T100 2wd 2.7L, 6 qts)
15104-75020 Pickup Tube & Strainer, (T100 2wd 2.7L)
11494-75010 Oil Hole Plate, (T100 2wd 2.7L)
15147-75020 Oil Strainer Gasket, (T100 2wd 2.7L)
15301-75020 Oil Gage (Dipstick), (T100 2wd 2.7L)
11409-75020 Oil Gage Guide (Dipstick), (T100 2wd 2.7L)
91651-60614 Bolts (Oil Hole plate), (4) Req'd
00295-00103 FIPG (Form in Place Gasket material)