Author Topic: Install a Tacoma motor into a Samurai  (Read 1579 times)

Qlueless

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 2
  • Member since Feb '08
    • View Profile
    • MidWestSuzuki
Install a Tacoma motor into a Samurai
« on: Feb 04, 2008, 05:58:35 AM »
I am looking into installing a Tacoma 2.4 into a Samurai. I already have the 2.4 with a Automatic Transmision, but I fear the stock Sami t-case will not hold up to the increased power (64hp changed to 160hp)

I am looking at the cheapest way possable to make it happen, but still end up with something that will provide a troble free install, and be able stand up to some abuse.

Currently it's in the garage getting 83 Toyota truck axles installed, since I keep braking the little sami axles...

From what I have found I should be able to pick-up an older transmision and transfercase from an 79-8? model truck for $150, and get the adaptor they sell here to make it fit. I have been unable to find a Tacoma 4x4 transmision and t-case at all in my area... and I suspect if I do it wount be cheap.

The good thing is that my Samurai t-case is worth $500-600 since it has gears installed... so it can pay for some of the project.

Other facts:
looking to run 35-37" tires
so far I have NO gears in the axles
Currentley I have 5.12's with 4-1 t-case running 33s... I mostly trail ride... and love the gear ratio that I have now, but I also don't have any real HP... so with a stronger moter I could get by with less gears.
I currently have a 79 toyota front drive shaft as my rear drive shaft... so needless to say the new drivetrain can not be super long...theres just no room for it.

This all has to fit into a Samurai, I would like to get it all working with the rear axle sitting in the stock location, and then possably moving the rear axle back with a 3-4 link later.

Well no time to spellcheck, and all that.....got to run.

skipnrocks

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 212
  • Male Posts: 2,363
  • Member since Mar '06
  • DUDE YOU DID WHAT?
    • View Profile
Re: Install a Tacoma motor into a Samurai
« Reply #1 on: Feb 04, 2008, 06:59:02 AM »
I understood that the sami t-case was pretty good, and has a ton of gearing options.
Life is too short!!!   Do something with it!!!

WILLYNILLY
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=23944.new#new

Qlueless [OP]

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 2
  • Member since Feb '08
    • View Profile
    • MidWestSuzuki
Re: Install a Tacoma motor into a Samurai
« Reply #2 on: Feb 04, 2008, 08:36:55 AM »
I understood that the sami t-case was pretty good, and has a ton of gearing options.

Yes that is true, but can it withstand the extra power? If everyone thinks it's strong enough to handle it, that would save me a bunch of time and money. I just hate to distroy a t-case and then not be able to get the (with the gears it already has) $500-600 for it, when that money could be used to replace the possably weaker t-case.

In the last two years I have broken 3-4 barfield joints, 3 ring and pinions, two drive shafts, and one transmission... surprisingly I have not killed the t-case YET, but I will have more power soon..

Plus the new rear axle is centered and the sami t-case is offset, so IF I swapped to for Toyota stuff, it would fix the problem...