Author Topic: ""T i c k i n g "" coming from engine? ? ? ? ?  (Read 3184 times)

bayrunner

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since Nov '04
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
""T i c k i n g "" coming from engine? ? ? ? ?
« on: Mar 09, 2006, 09:45:05 AM »
Hey Guys____ I have an 85 runner with a 22re, 5 sp. that had the engine””” professional rebuilt”””. In the morning when I start the truck, there is a “loud ticking” from the engine compartment ,like the engine needs oil, than after about 5 –8 seconds it goes away. Then in the course of the day if left for periods of say longer than 2 or three hours I’ll hear the sound BUT not as long or pronounced. It just doesn’t sound normal to me. Could it be the timing chain, and if it is WHY it is so loud, other Toyotas I’ve had NEVER sounded like that. BEFORE I go back and talk to the shop I wanted some feedback from you guys, so I’m not completely in the dark before talking to the shop. Thanks in advance _______ BAYRUNNER

olemisstoy88

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: -381
  • Male Posts: 521
  • Member since Dec '05
    • View Profile
Mine is loud like that some cold mornings
88. 4x2  Total chaos 6.5" caddy uniball kit  Racerunner 2.5 x 14" coilovers on front, 62" deavers, fabbed engine/shock cage, bed cage, roll cage and great frame, complete int., (5) 5x4.5 outlaw II w/235 buckshots <----- parting out! make offer

'84 4x4 . 5 speed 22r  3.5" lift  33x10.5s bfg MTs  Hannamann Glass frontcap, 32/36weber, LCE swirlie plate, Magnaflow,
"Im madder than Toby Keith at a Dixie Chicks concert"

toynorcal

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 96
  • Male Posts: 435
  • Member since Jul '05
  • "Easyline"
    • View Profile
Sounds like your timing chain tensioner

Willy Mammoth

• Rock Ninja
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 4,252
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
Yup sounds like the chain is hitting the guides. Could be nothing more than an oil filter problem.

I believe the Toyota filters are supposed to have a check valve to keep the oil in the filter so when you start it up it has pressure instantly. If the oil drains out it has to fill up the filter before pressure is applied to the tensioner.

Try a differant oil filter before going any further.

If not you will need to check the chain and guides.
:usa: American by birth, redneck by choice. 

Making Of http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=6472.0  

Sightings Of  http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=10805.0

jimbo74

• Turtle Points: 2872
  • Male Posts: 8,707
  • Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
for the first few seconds its usually normal on that style engine

if i remember correctly there is something about them using skirtless pistons and until the get the juices flowing they make noise

:usa:

The cost of freedom is always high, but Americans have always paid it. And one path we shall never choose, and that is the path of surrender, or submission.

~ John F. Kennedy ~

lilbuddy

• Dried Fruit Warrior
  • Turtle Points: -234
  • Male Posts: 5,720
  • Member since Aug '04
  • Hella....
    • View Profile
My truck used to do that and from what Ive been reading that Fram filters dont have the check valve and thats what I used to have. So I wanted to try a Fram Tough gard to see if itd change anything and now I almost NEVER have that sound. So yeah it has to do with pressure and the type of filter. Id get a toyota one but normally when I change my oil they are closed and kragen is open so I just go there.
RIP Kyota.... you are the man

GET IT!!!

jimbo74

• Turtle Points: 2872
  • Male Posts: 8,707
  • Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
i use a ford motorcraft fl1a that get at walmart... fram filters are crap..... also napa had good filters made by wix
:usa:

The cost of freedom is always high, but Americans have always paid it. And one path we shall never choose, and that is the path of surrender, or submission.

~ John F. Kennedy ~

RABIDYOTA

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -107
  • Male Posts: 336
  • Member since Mar '06
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
all the high end import shops will only use factory toyota filters for that reason. around 5 bucks, the lack of oil on start up on 22r engines will starve you'r timing chain tensiner and cause rocker noise!