Author Topic: Need help with a starting prob. after top end rebuild  (Read 628 times)

4xtoy

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 151
  • Member since Nov '05
    • View Profile
Need help with a starting prob. after top end rebuild
« on: Mar 05, 2006, 10:20:57 AM »
I got everything back together after a top end rebuild and tried to fire it and it will turn over but won't start. I adjusted the distributor a few times, which didn't help. It was also kicking back as if it was out of time. I lined up TDC on the compresion stroke and pulled my cap and the rotor was at 11 o'clock (where it should be). I proceeded to check my cam gear for alignment and it was right where I left it, at 12 o'clock, (it is actually about an 1/8" off but that was the closest I could get it when I set it up.) I rechecked all of my valves to make sure they weren't hanging open and they were good. I have fuel pressure at the fuel rail and at the line to the CSI. However I pulled it out and it is not firing. I'm not convinced that this is my problem though. Can I spray some carb cleaner in there to simulate it while cranking it over? I am also afraid of damaging the internals since most of the parts don't have any oil on them since the truck sat for 2 weeks before I rebuilt the top end. At this point I am looking for suggestions because I am at a loss.

Thanks,
Chad

4xtoy [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 151
  • Member since Nov '05
    • View Profile
Ok, not a timing problem. In doubt of my self I tore the timing cover back off to make sure I wasn't like one link off or something. Well it was right on the money. (there was 4qts of oil wasted and about 45 min. of my time.) And then to add to my frustration my starter decided it wanted to back out a bolt and try and chew up my flex plate. That is why it was kicking back at me like it was out of time. after getting it all back together, I set the timing with a light as it was cranking to 5* BTDC. Still nothing. Like I said earlier I had good fuel pressure at the rail so I figured it was getting gas. Apperently it is not getting gas now. If I spray carb cleaner in a vacuum port it will start and run for a few seconds. Now I have to figure out how many of the injectors are not firing and why.

Oh and a big   :thumbs: to the Optima Red Top for holding up to all that cranking all day after sitting for 2 full weeks before today. I still have some juice but I figured I will charge it anyway.