Author Topic: ARB/ high pinion/ longfield axles..help  (Read 2484 times)

sprduper

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since Nov '08
    • View Profile
ARB/ high pinion/ longfield axles..help
« on: Jan 14, 2010, 02:10:57 PM »
Hello all,
I recently installed a High pinion with ARB and longfield 30 spline axles w/hub gears. After the install i noticed I couldnt turn the sterring wheel in one (either left or right) direction with ARB activated with both hubs locked. Feels like steering is binding. Once I unlock either left or right hub, the steering is fine. I dont have to drive the truck for this to happen. The inner housing has been clearanced for the axles. Im stumped..any help is appreciated. I can turn the hubs from lock to unlock with with no problems.

swapped89

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 270
  • Male Posts: 1,221
  • Member since Aug '09
  • Not all who wander...are lost
    • View Profile
Re: ARB/ high pinion/ longfield axles..help
« Reply #1 on: Jan 14, 2010, 02:30:23 PM »
 :twocents: The birfields bind when the ARB (or any front third)is spooled or welded. Not being able to turn because of that is normal. Your stock steering box is not strong enough to turn the binding birf's. I know because i asked the same question when my front diff was welded. Now I have an ARB too. just turn it off if you wanna turn, sometimes you have to roll around a bit after unlocked the diff to get the birf's to unbind. One thing you could do is add Hydro Assist the ram should be strong enough to turn even with the ARB locked. That is what im workin on right now.
SAS 89 p/u 3.0 5speed, bobbed, locked, ready to play in the rocks. or wherever the pavement ends :)
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=61345.0 

a wise man listens and observes more so than he opens his mouth.. and when he does it is valuable information....   (twistedtoy92)

sprduper [OP]

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Member since Nov '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Jan 14, 2010, 02:41:03 PM »
thanks for the info. would it bind even if the truck isnt rolling/moving yet?

potter85

• Offline Rock Master
  • Male Posts: 257
  • Member since May '09
  • complete disregard for sheet metal.....
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Jan 14, 2010, 02:53:31 PM »
any truck that is locked in the front doesnt turn, just how it is
3rz in the making

looking for 38s

2 tundra 4.7l v8 soon to be sas'ed

swapped89

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 270
  • Male Posts: 1,221
  • Member since Aug '09
  • Not all who wander...are lost
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Jan 14, 2010, 04:41:11 PM »
thanks for the info. would it bind even if the truck isnt rolling/moving yet?

YEP, i have found that if you really wanna turn while its locked you can roll back and forth until it turns but there is really no point in doing that.
SAS 89 p/u 3.0 5speed, bobbed, locked, ready to play in the rocks. or wherever the pavement ends :)
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=61345.0 

a wise man listens and observes more so than he opens his mouth.. and when he does it is valuable information....   (twistedtoy92)

sprduper [OP]

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Member since Nov '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Jan 14, 2010, 09:05:50 PM »
got it...looks like it will be a challenge to drive on the rocks..for me atleast.  I had an EZ locker in the front before so steering was still ok. I suppose I have to turn off the ARB, steer in intended direction, turn on the ARB and drive?..any pointers?...thanks.

OOPS

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 1304
  • Male Posts: 2,561
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Jan 14, 2010, 09:22:15 PM »
Install hydro assist.

I run with my ARB turn on all the time, but I have full hydro but I even did it when I had hydro assist.
David & Theresa Fritzsche, 1990 Ex-Cab with a few mods!!!!!!!!! Roseville, CA Sobriety =Serenity

pumkin toy

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: -4
  • Male Posts: 3,561
  • Member since Sep '05
  • Do You Know A Sweeney Bro?
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #7 on: Jan 14, 2010, 09:52:39 PM »
got it...looks like it will be a challenge to drive on the rocks..for me atleast.  I had an EZ locker in the front before so steering was still ok. I suppose I have to turn off the ARB, steer in intended direction, turn on the ARB and drive?..any pointers?...thanks.
yeah you can switch it off when you turn, that will help tremendously and it will also put less stress on the axle shafts.  That and hydro assist are the only things you can do
97 4runner Limited
4runner Build Thread http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=54076.1410#lastPost

Started my own fab business recently check out the website  www.c4fabrication.com

also follow C4Fab on facebook for regular updates on projects. http://www.facebook.com/pages/C4-Fabrication/454285357953823