Author Topic: another clutch question, please help  (Read 1338 times)

bikejunkie

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since Jun '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
another clutch question, please help
« on: Jul 18, 2005, 11:14:46 AM »
I have a 83 Toy and its starting to grind from going 1st to 2nd, and so on. If you double clutch it, it shifts fine. I've searched the board alot and come up with a conclusion that its probaly either a bad clutch master cylinder or a bad slave cylinder. I've never replaced either so I'm kinda going blind. I'm about to order both from marlin today. I was wonder if any of you guys could give me some advice. I hate to take it to a tanny shop and get bent over. I'd like to do the work myself. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks :thumbs:

CTENG in KS

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: -501
  • Male Posts: 4,295
  • Member since Jun '04
  • ^Alfred the Great
    • View Profile
    • CTENG's Eco-Rant
Re: another clutch question, please help
« Reply #1 on: Jul 18, 2005, 11:40:27 AM »
Those are both external pieces, not too difficult, but have you considered that it is your synchros going bad?  That would be an internal problem and mean you need at least a partial rebuild.  The cylinders...master is on the pedal, slave is on the transmission, should be bolt in replacements, refill with FSM specified hydro fluid and bleed.  On subsequent test drive pray there are no bad grinding sounds.  If bad grinding sounds persist, pull tranny and get new synchros and bearings.  It is fun for the whole family.  Or pull tranny and  :flamer:
IFS is best kept at ambient temperature in a pile of scrap in the backyard.  When kept under a functioning vehicle, it tends to greatly diminish said vehicle's offroad ability.     -reklund5

4Runner: http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=4580.0
Beastmaster: http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=34339.0

mr4x42u

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 700
  • Member since Sep '02
  • LOCKED AND LOADED
    • View Profile
Re: another clutch question, please help
« Reply #2 on: Jul 19, 2005, 02:40:50 AM »
if your tranny otyherwise shifts fine other then 1st going to 2nd then  your clutch maynot be the issue..
like cteng said,,sounds like its inside the tranny if it shift in other gears ok..
seems to me if it was the clutch,slave,or master cyl then your problems would be through out your shift pattern..not just two gears..if your having this problem through all the gears,,then yea,,maybe the pressure is bleeding down,,weak or has air..
Forgiveness is between them and god..
Its my job to arrange the meeting!