Author Topic: 7MGTE SUPRA ENGINE SWAP  (Read 22912 times)

4DEES

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 28
  • Male Posts: 1,403
  • Member since Jul '04
  • THROW SOME DEES ON THAT B1TCH!!
    • View Profile
7MGTE SUPRA ENGINE SWAP
« on: Aug 05, 2004, 10:25:34 PM »
I was wondering if anybody could give me some info on the 7MGTE inline six supra engine. I've seen several yota owners swap this engine in place of the stock motor, i decided this is what i am going to put in my yota (running 40's, I need the power! :driving:)i was wondering if any one could give me some info about this motor such as : price, which supra comes with this motor, tranny i would hneed, custom work i have to do,etc........... any information is appreciated, thanx!
***ROCK BRAWLERS~Southern Cali***
 www.rockbrawlers.com 

'85 Toy, 42's and a body lift!

ROCK IT TILL THE WHEELS FALL OFF!!

Skinny_Pedal

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 89
  • Male Posts: 2,833
  • Member since Apr '04
  • work so I can support my lifestyle
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
Re: 7MGTE SUPRA ENGINE SWAP
« Reply #1 on: Aug 06, 2004, 01:27:46 AM »
ask suprarunner. im pretty sure thats the motor he used
Im an OG

robrocketanski

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 65
  • Male Posts: 99
  • Member since Mar '04
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile

4DEES [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 28
  • Male Posts: 1,403
  • Member since Jul '04
  • THROW SOME DEES ON THAT B1TCH!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Aug 07, 2004, 10:23:29 AM »
thanx for the links and stuff guys! :thumbs:
***ROCK BRAWLERS~Southern Cali***
 www.rockbrawlers.com 

'85 Toy, 42's and a body lift!

ROCK IT TILL THE WHEELS FALL OFF!!

YotaYota

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 12
  • Male Posts: 182
  • Member since Dec '03
  • Cuttin.....Weldin.....Grindin.....
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Aug 10, 2004, 05:10:58 AM »
I know the cressada has the 5mge, dose anybody know if this will work as a donor vehicle ??
85' Yota P/U, 37X12.50X17 BFG MT's on Steelys, Duel Cases, (2.28X4.7), V6 3rds Locked and Loaded W/ 4.88's, AllPro Rear Disk Brakes, Profeilds, All-Pro Front Sus., 4-Link w/ Sway-A-Way Air Shox, Flat Belly

robrocketanski

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 65
  • Male Posts: 99
  • Member since Mar '04
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Aug 10, 2004, 02:15:34 PM »
there are some drawbacks to using the cressida, like no useable bellhousing comes w/ it b/c it is an auto trans. but that might be it?

Suprarunner

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 16
  • Male Posts: 215
  • Member since Jul '04
  • www.Trailwerx.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Aug 10, 2004, 05:22:23 PM »
I used the Supra 5M, I do use a cressida book for info on the motor though.

Cracker

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 1
  • Member since May '02
  • God, Corps, Country
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sep 02, 2004, 12:31:21 PM »
5M has been done.....

http://www.4x4wire.com/toyota/tech/supra/

Also, the Cressidas DID come with 5 spd.....W58 trans......You can use this bellhousing to bolt up a W56

For 7M swap, SuperRunner's website seems to be THE place....

http://www.supracharged.com
Art

99 Taco
80 Hilux - 20/22R Hybrid, Dual Mikuni's, R151 trans, Budbuilt X-member
74 FJ40 "The Project"

stone4x4

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -75
  • Male Posts: 265
  • Member since Aug '03
  • tired of building and not wheeling
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sep 12, 2004, 08:02:34 PM »
get a 82-92 5 speed supra the wiring book get started
5mge-7mgte will work
i am runin a 5mge it was cheep :twocents:
GOD MADE DIRT AND DIRT DON'T HURT

BigMike

• Administrator
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 2159
  • Male Posts: 18,292
  • Member since Apr '02
  • 511:1 Club
    • View Profile
    • Bone-Stock Plane-Jane 1981 Shortbed Pickup
« Reply #9 on: Sep 12, 2004, 08:26:47 PM »
I really like the diamond plating setup in the engine bay. Good place to place tools and things while you are working on the engine..
Check out our new Rock Crawling Videos!
2016 56-speed 580:1 Tacoma Rock Crawler   
1981 36-speed 511:1 3RZ-FE Rock Crawler
1987 6-speed Supercharged 4A-GZE MR2
Instagram: @SlowestTacoma
Things are only impossible until they are not.
"The worst of both worlds, the best of neither." -abnormaltoy
"An informed question. But difficult to answer. I am what you see." -Nanaki

Mudmax

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since Dec '03
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sep 13, 2004, 03:37:17 AM »
Easy swap, done 7 now with 5mge. take you two days, well thats how long it takes us! :beerchug:

Best to swap out a diesel engine, the supra or cressida bolt straight up (swap rubber mounts) If you are changing out a petrol one then the mounts will have to be cut off and make new ones, Heres a trick with that... cut the supra mounts off the xmember, swap the left to the right and weld them tho the chassis where you want them! :flamer:
the W serries box bellhousing comes off and the supra or cressida manual bellhousing bolts on. IF YOU HAVE THE R150 OR R151? BOX IT WONT FIT! :_order: and sorry there is NO bellhousing that will either (unless you cut and weld two together!)

Well thats the mounting side! yell if you get stuck with electricals. :shocking:

PS get a complete donor car and go from there!

PPS now someone go answer my problem with my cruiser box Q! :moon:

Cheers!

Greg55_99

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: -5
  • Member since Jun '03
  • I love Marlin Crawler!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Oct 30, 2004, 06:50:00 PM »
IF YOU HAVE THE R150 OR R151? BOX IT WONT FIT! :_order: and sorry there is NO bellhousing that will either (unless you cut and weld two together!)

Well... in this case "Don't raise the bridge... lower the river..." 

As an example of what can be accomplished:

Pic 1: Bellhousing from a 3.0L Supra Turbo attached to an 89 Jeep AX15. The input shaft is 7.82" in length but 6.55" to the edge of the threads.

Pic 2: Toyota Supra Turbo R154 next to Jeep AX15. Input shaft is 7.25" in length but 6.65" to the edge of the threads.

It is obviously possible to swap the 91 and earlier Jeep input shaft into an R150F\R151F and use the Supra Turbo bellhousing to hook it up to the 7MGTE.

Greg

Junkyard Veteran for TRUTH!

« Last Edit: Oct 30, 2004, 06:56:42 PM by Greg55_99 »

jr9162

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 36
  • Male Posts: 512
  • Member since Sep '04
  • No nookie like Chinookie no butts like Halibuts
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Nov 17, 2004, 01:30:53 PM »
IF YOU HAVE THE R150 OR R151? BOX IT WONT FIT! :_order: and sorry there is NO bellhousing that will either (unless you cut and weld two together!)

As an example of what can be accomplished:

Pic 1: Bellhousing from a 3.0L Supra Turbo attached to an 89 Jeep AX15. The input shaft is 7.82" in length but 6.55" to the edge of the threads.

Pic 2: Toyota Supra Turbo R154 next to Jeep AX15. Input shaft is 7.25" in length but 6.65" to the edge of the threads.

It is obviously possible to swap the 91 and earlier Jeep input shaft into an R150F\R151F and use the Supra Turbo bellhousing to hook it up to the 7MGTE.

Greg

Here's a less troublesome way. Possibly less expensive too.

Thanks to John Douglas http://members.ozemail.com.au/~jonhel5/
I learned that Marks makes an adapter to mate the R150F, and/or R151F (both with 165 mm or 6.5 inch long input shafts) to a G52/54 or W56/W58 bellhousing.

See http://members.iinet.net.au/%7Eozrunner/AdapterR150.html . I am waiting on the Marks part number. This unit should be available in the US via Advance Adapters - Marks agent in North America.

So just take your turbo Supra 7M-GTE block, use a 5M-GE flywheel - clutch assembly - and (W58) bellhousing assembly, this adapter, and mount your trusty R151F to the engine. No more trashed G52/G54 or W56's!

JR
I'm a member of P.E.T.A.
People Eating Tasty Animals
There's no nookie like chinookie
No butts like halibuts
Fish are not our friends, they're food.
Eat more moose - 10,000 wolves can't be wrong

Calling an illegal alien an "undocumented immigrant" is like calling a drug dealer an "unlicensed Pharmacist".

kneedownnate

• Turtle Points: 1128
  • Male Posts: 9,757
  • Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Nov 17, 2004, 10:49:43 PM »
Hey stone4X4, do my eyes decieve me or is your truck a first gen 4wd?  If that's one of the trucks you swapped a 5m into where'd you put your radiator?  That's probably one of the biggest things keepin me from goin with a 5m in my '80 4wd is I've been told there's not enough room in the older trucks to stick the big six, but earlier tonight I started thinkin about cutting out the core support and stickin it in place of the grill.  Ideas?  Nate
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

jr9162

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 36
  • Male Posts: 512
  • Member since Sep '04
  • No nookie like Chinookie no butts like Halibuts
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Nov 18, 2004, 07:22:19 PM »
Marks makes an adapter to mate the R150F, and/or R151F (both with 165 mm or 6.5 inch long input shafts) to a G52/54 or W56/W58 bellhousing.

See http://members.iinet.net.au/%7Eozrunner/AdapterR150.html . I am waiting on the Marks part number. This unit should be available in the US via Advance Adapters - Marks agent in North America.

So just take your turbo Supra 7M-GTE block, use a 5M-GE flywheel - clutch assembly - and (W58) bellhousing assembly, this adapter, and mount your trusty R151F to the engine. No more trashed G52/G54 or W56's!

JR

The part number for that adapter plate is MFK 750 cost is $375 (Australian ?) from the Marks factory in Melbourne. It adds 16mm to the length of the drivetrain. I'm waiting on clarification whether it requires removal of the input shaft bearing retainer/cover on the R150F/R151F/R452

JR 
I'm a member of P.E.T.A.
People Eating Tasty Animals
There's no nookie like chinookie
No butts like halibuts
Fish are not our friends, they're food.
Eat more moose - 10,000 wolves can't be wrong

Calling an illegal alien an "undocumented immigrant" is like calling a drug dealer an "unlicensed Pharmacist".

Weldo

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 101
  • Male Posts: 454
  • Member since Jan '05
  • Use what you can, make what you can't.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Feb 21, 2005, 01:34:22 PM »
This thread is kinda old, but I got a question.  If I wanted a 7mge or 7mgte in my 91 Toy pickup, I would need, the 7mge motor, 7mge bellhousing, 5mge clutch pressure plate and flywheel, and this will allow me to bolt up my stock W56 from my truck?  If this be true, why can't the 7mge clutch be used?  I hear it's a pull type, but could it be made to work somehow?  The pull type clutches are supposed to hold better.
Welders Hold the World Together!

wrenchtech

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -14
  • Member since Jan '04
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
    • WrenchTech: Content for Backyard Fabricators & Homeshop Mechanics
« Reply #16 on: Feb 21, 2005, 03:03:05 PM »

Greg

It is not so obvious to me! The AX15 input will not swap into the desirable R151F becaues the integral gear set is different.  The R151F has a 4.31 first and the AX15 has 3.83. The gears are part of the input shaft and will not match up. The AX15 might swap into an R150F because they share the same 3.83 first gear ratio. The R150F is a pretty useless transmission as it also requires an adapter to mate to the desirable gear type transfer cases of the 1978 - 1988 Toyotas. -- Matt

1999 4runner SR5, 3.4, auto, Horizon Blue

Greg55_99

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: -5
  • Member since Jun '03
  • I love Marlin Crawler!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Feb 21, 2005, 07:34:00 PM »
Yep Matt, you're dead right on that!  Since this was posted, Marlin set me straight on that. AX15 input shaft will only swap with the R150F, NOT the R151.

Greg

wrenchtech

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Jan '04
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: Feb 21, 2005, 10:54:59 PM »
On top of that you have to   have to deal with the fact that the AX15 has a 10 spline on the input whereas the R150 has 18 (I think it's 18) -- Ma tt

Fireimp141

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 786
  • Member since Aug '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Feb 22, 2005, 01:34:22 PM »
Hey stone4X4, do my eyes decieve me or is your truck a first gen 4wd? If that's one of the trucks you swapped a 5m into where'd you put your radiator? That's probably one of the biggest things keepin me from goin with a 5m in my '80 4wd is I've been told there's not enough room in the older trucks to stick the big six, but earlier tonight I started thinkin about cutting out the core support and stickin it in place of the grill. Ideas? Nate

One word, Electric. Stick 2 electric fans infront and ure g2g!

This thread is kinda old, but I got a question. If I wanted a 7mge or 7mgte in my 91 Toy pickup, I would need, the 7mge motor, 7mge bellhousing, 5mge clutch pressure plate and flywheel, and this will allow me to bolt up my stock W56 from my truck? If this be true, why can't the 7mge clutch be used? I hear it's a pull type, but could it be made to work somehow? The pull type clutches are supposed to hold better.

Yes, that will allow you to bolt up to the W56, just dont run it too hard, stripped splines and trashed trannies will be in order :_order: ;)
86 Toyota 4runner, 33X12.5-15 Aurora RT/02's on Series 97 15X10 rock crawlers, 3" performance body lift, Rancho RS5000's... Soon to be Marlin 1200 Clutch, tube bumper front and rear, nerf bars and roof rack... future plans include SAS 5.29's detroits!

I am the Amazing Turtle! and I'm awarding you 49 points, increasing your Turtle Points!

Weldo

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jan '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Feb 22, 2005, 05:13:13 PM »
Would an R151F or R150F be considered an upgrade from a W56?  If so, would a counter gear T-case bolt up to it?  I hear most if not all R151F and R150F's were chain driven T-cases.

wrenchtech

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Jan '04
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Feb 22, 2005, 09:15:58 PM »
Would an R151F or R150F be considered an upgrade from a W56?  If so, would a counter gear T-case bolt up to it?  I hear most if not all R151F and R150F's were chain driven T-cases.

The R series is much beefier than the W.  All the R150s are made for chain type t-cases. The R151 is made for the gear t-case. Buy one soon! They're getting rarer every day. -- Matt

reklund5

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 286
  • Male Posts: 1,263
  • Member since Nov '03
  • I love my Marlin Crawler!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Feb 22, 2005, 09:32:29 PM »
The r series trans is'nt bombproof!  I've broken mine 3x in my 400hp 7MGTE supra... :eyebrow:
'84 Hilux, locked, dual-cased, winched, EFI converted, 37" tired, half-doored (in the summer...)
'87 Supra, 400 HP.  smooth as glass at 130 'cause my tires are NEW!...
'92 F250 Diesel, tow rig, ATS Turbo, leveling kit, killer stereo

Weldo

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jan '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Feb 23, 2005, 12:54:27 PM »
Would an R151 bolt up to a 22RE with no other modifications?  Would it use the 22RE T-case and bellhousing?  I imagine you'd need a clutch and maybe a flywheel to match given the different number of spline and different shaft size.

JAPCRAPFREAK

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Turtle Points: 43
  • Member since Feb '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 19, 2005, 08:13:36 PM »
I know this is kinda a old thread but I've been thinking of an idea for a 7mgte swap. Give me some feedback. Since everyone seems to have tranny problems after doing this swap why not go this route, although it may be kinda costly, Advance adapters sells a kit to put a NV4500 behind a 22re. So if the 22r bell housing bolts up to the 7mgte then if you were to buy this kit then you could put the NV4500 behind it??? This tranny is bad ass and I dont think a 7mgte could break it no matter how hard you ride it. I mean they put this tranny behind a Cummins Turbo diesel. And you will get a wayyyyyyyy lower low gear since this tranny has a L then 1st gear plus you get a overdrive for highway duty. Im sure the low gear is way lower the a RF151. Just an idea I've been thinking about when I attempt this conversion. Let me know if this will or wont work.

kneedownnate

• Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 23, 2005, 10:11:59 PM »
The 22r bellhousing doesn't bolt to the 7m series.  You can use your truck tranny if you pull off the bellhousing and slap on the 7m bellhousing.  Atleast that's how I understand it.
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

JAPCRAPFREAK

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Turtle Points: 43
  • Member since Feb '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 24, 2005, 03:28:31 PM »
Sorry thats what i meant, If the 7m bolts to the front of a 22r trans then they must share the same pattern on the trans side so the advance adapter kit should work the way im thinking

UNBREAKABLE

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 372
  • Male Posts: 2,028
  • Member since Aug '04
  • Yeah, I guess you could say I'm a RockStar
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 24, 2005, 04:13:29 PM »
im doing the swap right know with a gte, mines out of a cressida with supra intercooler and turbo what not.  the supra 7m clutch has the same  spine as a g tranny i dont know about the w's.  You need the motor, bellhousing, clutch ass., slave, and through out arm.  the 7ms have a pilot bearing hole allready in the crank so an auto tranny motor will work and a bunch of people have told me that you can use 22r motor mounts, also your starter is on a different side as well as your exhaust and intake.  you need all of the harnessto start out with so dont cut anything.  Figure out your engine harness later, or thats what im doing.  the engine harness is all together and the entire thing makes a figure 8 around the inside of the car.  we have a cluster f*ck of wire about the size of a beach ball.  hope that helps
That's how I roll

shad

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -182
  • Male Posts: 392
  • Member since Mar '05
  • waiting for warmer wheeling weather
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 27, 2005, 06:18:44 AM »
I am in the same boat with my motor the 22r I have is weak despite having good compression.
I have been screwing around with the weber carb plate forever and I am getting burned out with the vaccum leaks it has.
So I was checking around for a motor swap I found a 83 supra and a 82 cressida at a local junkyard.
 The cressida motor is complete it looks like the hood was jammed I had to really jimmy the hood to get it open..
The supra has been picked apart most of the things like the AFM and airbox are gone. However the supra motor has the belhousing and the wiring harness seems intact. The cressida is a automaic of course so the bellhousing is useless.
The supra has like 180,000 miles on the motor and the cressida is like at 158,000 miles. I was told I could have both motors w/harnesses and the supra bellhousing for around $400. So what do you think I should do?

Combine the supra parts on the cressida motor and put that in my truck?
Just get the engine mounts bellhousing and look for a 7mge?
Oh I can either get a g54 tranny for about $25 to or w56 for around $100 which one should I go with?

I heard you want the Cressida oil pan because it's a mid oil pan and it will work better with crossover steering.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2005, 06:25:50 AM by shad »
86 Toyota 4 runner
22re screaming on 4.56's rolling 35's
My cardomain page

kneedownnate

• Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Jun 01, 2005, 10:28:48 PM »
Given the choice I'd go with the w56, the $75 extra will be worth the piece of mind.  I don't think I'd worry too much about getting both engines unless you want spares, from what I've heard the differences were minimal.  Also, if you look at the id tag on the supra you might find it has a w58, which may possibly be worth switchin out the tail section from a 4by tranny. 
RIP KYOTA