Author Topic: What do I do to it first?  (Read 2644 times)

komet

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Turtle Points: 1
  • Member since Jul '03
  • Welcome to the Forums
    • View Profile
What do I do to it first?
« on: Jul 17, 2003, 05:19:41 PM »
Ok fellow crawlers here we go...
What should I do to my '87 4runner first to tackle the Rubicon? The 'runner is bone stock, and being new to them (4runners) I'm trying to decide what mod to do to it for it's maidan voyage over the hump. Should I get a posi, dual t-case, lift kit, bigger tires, or some other bit of candy for it .
I can't decide, so I'll let you guys. Please, just one goodie at a time. I have to save some money for essentials like food, mortage and paternity lawers.

88runner

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 756
  • Member since May '03
  • Click me!
    • View Profile
Re:What do I do to it first?
« Reply #1 on: Jul 17, 2003, 06:02:08 PM »
SAS would be a good start
« Last Edit: Jul 17, 2003, 06:02:20 PM by 88runner »
88 4runner v6,
5.29 with 35" tires,
Isuzu Rodeo rear disk brake,
t-case hand brake in near futur
solid axle'd

cruzila

• Go go cruzila!
  • Hawk
  • Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 41
  • Male Posts: 3,848
  • Member since May '02
  • MC20/21 Toybox #002 2.28 = 154:1
    • View Profile
    • MTA
« Reply #2 on: Jul 17, 2003, 08:15:01 PM »
I would say the first thing you want is rocker protection. I see too many rigs up there now that are just beat to crap. A rear locker would be next. Followed by gears or a dual case. If you got money left over from the Lawyer, do the gears first or at the same time. A solid axle swap will come soon enough. You will never be able to replace the experience you get from wheeling independant. :beer: Too many people now think they need to build the rig before they wheel. That is so backwards if you ask me.

:twocents: :twocents: :twocents: :twocents: :twocents: :twocents: :twocents: :twocents:
If you would like to help save the Rubicon, send money to the Rubicon Trail Foundation

Friends of Eldorado National Forest

BigMike

• Administrator
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 2159
  • Male Posts: 18,292
  • Member since Apr '02
  • 511:1 Club
    • View Profile
    • Bone-Stock Plane-Jane 1981 Shortbed Pickup
« Reply #3 on: Jul 17, 2003, 11:55:07 PM »
Too many people now think they need to build the rig before they wheel. That is so backwards if you ask me.

Here here :beer:
Check out our new Rock Crawling Videos!
2016 56-speed 580:1 Tacoma Rock Crawler   
1981 36-speed 511:1 3RZ-FE Rock Crawler
1987 6-speed Supercharged 4A-GZE MR2
Instagram: @SlowestTacoma
Things are only impossible until they are not.
"The worst of both worlds, the best of neither." -abnormaltoy
"An informed question. But difficult to answer. I am what you see." -Nanaki

mr4x42u

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 700
  • Member since Sep '02
  • LOCKED AND LOADED
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Jul 18, 2003, 03:16:54 AM »
you can always get more travel out of your ifs with a kit sold by rockstomper..Its a great way to help out the ifs..I'm not saying start there first,,but its a chep way for more flex out of an ifs..Where to start would depend on howlong of a time span its going to take to build this thing up..There is no sence to buy front locker and gears for an ifs if your going to sas it in the near future..if were talking a while I would start with gears and lockers,,body protection and so from there...
 :beerchug:
« Last Edit: Jul 18, 2003, 03:20:39 AM by mr4x42u »
Forgiveness is between them and god..
Its my job to arrange the meeting!

Paul_Elbisser

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 43
  • Male Posts: 329
  • Member since Aug '02
  • Supra Powered
    • View Profile
    • KraZyfly
« Reply #5 on: Jul 18, 2003, 11:01:48 AM »
Get a welder. Build a rear bumper, and rocker protection. Then a rear locker. Dual cases, then SAS. I agree no need in doing anything to the IFS is you plan to SAS it. Cut the bumpstops for a little more travel.

You could put some extende shacles on the rear, trim the front a bit to fit 32-33" tires.Or just get 31s for now.

The most important things to have on any trail is safe tow hooks, a strap, and some goodfriends. And know when to say when
Paul Elbisser
PastTLCA Eastern Rep,
Pres. Rice on the Rocks
One of Those Guys

Red Monkey

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 1
  • Male Posts: 17
  • Member since May '02
  • When in doubt gass it!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Jul 21, 2003, 11:09:08 AM »
Those guys said it all, I can't add much except get as much experience wheeling as you can.

gferris5

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 7
  • Member since Oct '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Jul 21, 2003, 10:41:48 PM »
I'd have to say from my experience to beware of the might-as-wells.  Sure, it's a good idea to take care of whatever you can while you have something apart.  My problem was that I was consumed with chasing down trying to save some money so I ended up spending a whole bunch at once and having to try to build my truck in time to move away and it burnt me out and if it wasn't for the guys on this board, I probably would have sold it.  My biggest might as well centered around my dual cases, because of the new driveshaft they necessitated, I figured, might as well do the lift then, oh, then you should do the gears, oh yeah, buy the tires, oh yeah, don't forget steering, might as well, might as well, might as well.  Go slow, as for mods, I'd say drop in gears for your t-case, as for your first mod, you'll need more than that for the 'con, but it's a good start.  Have fun, relax.
85' 4Runner- SWAPPED--Dodge Caravan IFS-front and rear, 235R13's on each corner, hubcaps. Toyota Corona drivetrain swap. Locked, left and right side doors, with the windows up.

tkrrox

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since Oct '03
  • I Love My Marlin Crawler!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Jan 18, 2004, 08:32:11 PM »
i would have to say that i had an ifs set up the first time i tried crawling it wasnt that bad cause i was running the downey high travel(which is for sell for cheap) it was fun but i watched those guys go up a cliff and thats why i converted to a straight axle(by the way it doesnt have to cost as much as you think i did mine for 800....

brainlessfool

• It's not my problem if you can't hear the voices too.
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 2730
  • Male Posts: 4,207
  • Member since Jun '02
  • drive fast or the devil may get ya
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a cigar
« Reply #9 on: Jan 18, 2004, 08:40:54 PM »
Too many people now think they need to build the rig before they wheel. That is so backwards if you ask me.

Here here :beer:
                                                                                                                                                                                                                            well you guys will be happy to know that I did just what your saying sould be done, I called it back-packing :disturbed: :ladys-man: :laugh: :hahaha: :_oops:
A good day working, that's just sick :reg: