Author Topic: Those who have SAS please inform me  (Read 3427 times)

alwayzbroken

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: 603
  • Male Posts: 1,905
  • Member since Feb '05
    • View Profile
Those who have SAS please inform me
« on: Apr 30, 2005, 07:38:11 PM »
I spent a ton of time researching my SAS before I did it. Now that it is 95% done, I see that my finished product is different than most every other one I see on the board and I don't know why.  :headscratch:  I have an All Pro Hanger, All Pro 2" Superflex buggy springs with Marlin steering, U Bolt flip etc. The first thing that was different from most was my front shackle angle is really steep but I have figured that out. The next problem I ran into was the steering. The steering couldn't be more wrong. Once I got everything bolted up I was shocked to see how all the crossover pieces looked. In the following pictures you can see where there was contact on the tie rod. I only drove the truck three blocks on city streets and it bottomed out on potholes. I know that moving the steering box forward is very common but I didn't think that it was that common for SAS trucks since they already have the IFS box. It looks like I will have to move my box after all. The guys at All Pro told me that they have never had anybody have to move the steering box forward with the super flex springs and their kit.  :bull crap: Look at the pictures of my steering and tell me that the box doesn't need to be moved forward. If anybody can tell me how to fix the steering and post pics of what it should look like that would be awesome. I have already spent a lot of time searching but additional information specific to this would be really helpful. Sorry about the pic quality, it was really dark in the garage.
If you still have control you aren't going fast enough

alwayzbroken [OP]

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Member since Feb '05
    • View Profile
Re: Those who have SAS please inform me
« Reply #1 on: Apr 30, 2005, 07:44:18 PM »
Here you can see the major problem so far. The tie rod on the bottom of the pitman arm is contacting the lower tie rod due to the negative angle on the tie rod that goes from the box to the passenger side. This contact occured while driving less than 30 m.p.h on a flat road. The tie rods are directly above each other when the wheels are straight. The wheels are turned right now so I can get in to take the picture.

alwayzbroken [OP]

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Member since Feb '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Apr 30, 2005, 07:46:46 PM »
Here you can see the tie rods from the passenger side. They are directly above each other.

Uncle Jesse

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 21
  • Male Posts: 375
  • Member since Sep '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Apr 30, 2005, 07:48:10 PM »
  It may be necessary to move the axle backward to aleviate that.  You can do this by drilling new holes in the axle perch 1/2" to 1" on either side of the stock hole. 

Uncle Jesse

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Sep '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Apr 30, 2005, 07:49:40 PM »
if im not mistaken, the all pro hanger can be welded on two ways, one moving the front hanger forward, one being the stock location.  Maybe that could be part of the problem.  How is the wheel position in the fender?

alwayzbroken [OP]

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Member since Feb '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Apr 30, 2005, 07:54:23 PM »
Here is my current steering box setup. And here is wheel position in fender

alwayzbroken [OP]

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Member since Feb '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Apr 30, 2005, 07:59:38 PM »
Do you think the spring will hit the bottom of the pitman arm? Thanks.

Skinny_Pedal

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 89
  • Male Posts: 2,833
  • Member since Apr '04
  • work so I can support my lifestyle
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #7 on: Apr 30, 2005, 08:02:33 PM »
if im not mistaken, the all pro hanger can be welded on two ways, one moving the front hanger forward, one being the stock location.  Maybe that could be part of the problem.  How is the wheel position in the fender?

this is your problem. TO THE FLOOR and i did the all pro hanger swap on our buddies 81. the hanger goes two ways. i bet thats also why your shackle angle came out so far. from the pics it doesnt look like your axle moved that far farward either. so im going with that hanger is on backwards(stock location)
Im an OG

guywithuglyyota

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 212
  • Male Posts: 810
  • Member since Jul '04
  • F-22 Crew Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Apr 30, 2005, 08:07:19 PM »
Not to jack this guys thread, but im about to do my sas next week. Can marlins kit be installed backwards as well?? If im not mitaken it can be mounted backwards if you wanted to use stock length springs? 
Comedy is the last refuge of the nonconformist mind.

alwayzbroken [OP]

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Member since Feb '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Apr 30, 2005, 08:14:48 PM »

this is your problem. TO THE FLOOR and i did the all pro hanger swap on our buddies 81. the hanger goes two ways. i bet thats also why your shackle angle came out so far. from the pics it doesnt look like your axle moved that far farward either. so im going with that hanger is on backwards(stock location)

I talked with All Pro and according to the instructions the hanger is on right. The triangular gussets are facing forward which I think is right?  :headscratch: The springs are so flat they act like a longer spring which is what I have been told and makes sense. I think this is why the shackles are so steep and why the axle doesn't look like it is moved as forward as it should be.

Uncle Jesse

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Sep '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Apr 30, 2005, 08:23:11 PM »
looking at the first picture though, wouldn't the axle need to go back to clear the draglink?  Either that or the box forward, or more lift.  Can the springs be put on backwards making the center pin be in the wrong place?

Uncle Jesse

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Sep '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Apr 30, 2005, 08:25:14 PM »
looking at marlin's hanger picture, it appears to be symetrical, so the only way to move it forward would be to move it forward.

alwayzbroken [OP]

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Member since Feb '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Apr 30, 2005, 08:32:46 PM »
looking at the first picture though, wouldn't the axle need to go back to clear the draglink? Either that or the box forward, or more lift. Can the springs be put on backwards making the center pin be in the wrong place?

The springs are not symmetrical so they could be on backward. I will go check quick.

WHITE_TRASH

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 679
  • Member since Feb '03
  • Don't blame me, I didn't vote for this crap.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Apr 30, 2005, 08:34:19 PM »
The hanger can go on either direction which accounts for 1/2"-1" total.  Id mount the steering box as far forward as it can go and run it.  Its a very common problem to have interference with the tierod and draglink with the steering box in the stock position.  The short end goes to the front but Id doubt you have them on backwards. 
Full hydro, 186:1 with an auto and 44's what could go wrong??

alwayzbroken [OP]

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Member since Feb '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Apr 30, 2005, 08:43:55 PM »
The hanger can go on either direction which accounts for 1/2"-1" total.  Id mount the steering box as far forward as it can go and run it.  Its a very common problem to have interference with the tierod and draglink with the steering box in the stock position. The short end goes to the front but Id doubt you have them on backwards.

I will just have to re mount the steering box. I checked the springs and unless All Pro puts the writing on backwards (which knowing that operation I would not doubt) the springs are mounted properly with the short end forward.

alwayzbroken [OP]

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Member since Feb '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Apr 30, 2005, 08:45:35 PM »
What angle should I re mount the box at? Would I be better off to mount the box at no angle and run a flat pitman arm?

alwayzbroken [OP]

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Member since Feb '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Apr 30, 2005, 08:49:03 PM »
Flat pitman arm similar to this, except with toyota box on outside of frame or just moved forward at the stock angle? Which would give most clearance and better performance overall?

Skinny_Pedal

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 89
  • Male Posts: 2,833
  • Member since Apr '04
  • work so I can support my lifestyle
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #17 on: Apr 30, 2005, 08:51:48 PM »
when we put the all pro hanger on the gussets were facing forward. we also made it where the mains tube stuck out 1/2". it came out perfect
Im an OG

WHITE_TRASH

• Member since Feb '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: Apr 30, 2005, 08:53:45 PM »
Its easy, just pull the box off the frame and move it as far forward and in the best position that will allow the pitman arm to clear the frame and the springs.

alwayzbroken [OP]

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Member since Feb '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Apr 30, 2005, 08:58:06 PM »
when we put the all pro hanger on the gussets were facing forward. we also made it where the mains tube stuck out 1/2". it came out perfect

I have the gusset forward but mounted the main tube flush. I think I am just freaking out about everything tonight for some unknown reason. I don't know, maybe because tonight is my last night as a teenager. I will be turning 20 tomorrow. How sad  :rivers:

Its easy, just pull the box off the frame and move it as far forward and in the best position that will allow the pitman arm to clear the frame and the springs.

Will do. Thanks for the advice.

WHITE_TRASH

• Member since Feb '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Apr 30, 2005, 09:00:02 PM »
Happy birthday man.  And the advice is free unless you'd like to make a donation. :rofl:

alwayzbroken [OP]

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Member since Feb '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Apr 30, 2005, 09:01:57 PM »
Next time you are in Minnesota I will have a cold one or cold many waiting for ya.  :beerchug: