Author Topic: HELP!!! I don't know which harness and ecu to buy!!!  (Read 2738 times)

awhotrods

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 154
  • Male Posts: 1,203
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
HELP!!! I don't know which harness and ecu to buy!!!
« on: Apr 13, 2005, 10:09:26 AM »
I am in the process of converting my 82 to 22RE.  My motor is out of a 90.  Does anyone know what year harness and ecu are the easiest to adapt?  I am running the offroad solution dash harness.  I have heard that the newer (1994) harness has alot more connectors and that even the ecu is different.  I found a ecu and harness, and its out of a 94 for cheap, but I'm not sure if I should get one from the same year as my motor.  SOMEONE PLEASE HELP END THE MADNESS!!! :smack:
WT I think you might know which one I need :wink2:
« Last Edit: Apr 13, 2005, 10:28:36 AM by awhotrods »

91 super yoda

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: -56
  • Male Posts: 400
  • Member since Sep '04
  • Axe' em Jacks
    • View Profile
    • Old Town Customs
i believe 89-91 will work, i heard somewhere that in 92 some things were changed around, more sensors and such, but since the motor is out of a 90 that would be the year that i would be lookin for

also what year is the transmission, i know there are some hookups that go to the transmission as well

make sure you get a mass air flow sensor for the air box and get the fuse box that goes on the fener well
might save ya some headaches

To The Floor

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 220
  • Male Posts: 393
  • Member since Jul '04
  • THE KRAK
    • View Profile
Yeah ideally you want the same year harness that your motor came from.  Also it would be nice if you are trying to simplify things to get a harness from a non sr5, just less stuff to deal with = less headaches.
in the projects nooga, anything goes

BLACKDOG

• 3.0 Killer
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 718
  • Male Posts: 7,644
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
i believe 89-91 will work, i heard somewhere that in 92 some things were changed around, more sensors and such, but since the motor is out of a 90 that would be the year that i would be lookin for

I know on the 3.0, I think it was 90 a bunch of stuff was changed.  I did a swap, put a 88 3.0 in my 91 3.0, and I had to use my 91 connectors on almost everything.  Had to swap out fuel injectors, TPS, several ground wires. and some other random stuff.

If I were you, I'd get the year that the motor came out of, but check out the 94 closely, to see how well the plugs and such will match up.  As long as they'll plug up, I'd use the 94.
:usa: Its better to die on your feet than live on your knees :usa:

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free. "

"I don't believe in a government that protects us from ourselves."
              -Ronald Reagan

Don't take life too seriously, it isn't permanent

Uncle Jesse

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 21
  • Male Posts: 375
  • Member since Sep '04
    • View Profile
89 is when harness changes happened, as far as conectors.  I think either 90 or 91 they went to a two plug ecu instead of the earlier three plug.  The harness from the 94 shoud work on the 90 engine, i don't think much changed.  Also, the harnesses from 89 and later are mostly stand alone, so there is alot less of the dash stuff to worry about.  In fact, the ecu to engine harness is all by itself, then connectors come of that to go up into the dash.  The main thing is that the harness and ecu match. 

awhotrods [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
I found a harness and ecu that are both out of a 94 truck, hopefully they work

WHITE_TRASH

• Turtle Points: 679
  • Member since Feb '03
  • Don't blame me, I didn't vote for this crap.
    • View Profile
You should be fine.  As long as the harness and 'puter are a match you should have few issues.  I know on the 90 the 'puter had a different plug arrangement than the 94 did.  Granted the 90 was an auto while the 94 was stick so that may have been the deal.  The harness were the same other than the plugs to the 'puter.  Allt he plugs on the engine were the same if I recall correctly.  Go for it mang.  Have fun and dont get too discouraged.  A buddy of mine just swapped the complete harness, dash cluster andsteering column into his 83 from his rolled 85 to convert his.  It actually seems to be th easy way out.....
Full hydro, 186:1 with an auto and 44's what could go wrong??

awhotrods [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
thanks wt, what gas tank should I run, or should I just throw an inline in there and call it done?  I think there was a pump off some kinda ford truck that people use for this conversion. 

WHITE_TRASH

• Member since Feb '03
    • View Profile
You should know what im gonna suggest already dont you?  :greengrin:  Id put a efi tank in behind the axle under the bed.  It'll have a larger capacity and it fits perfectly between the framerails.  Ive never hit mine beings the springs are inboarded they get hit before the tank.  Although a heavy duty skid is on the to-do list.

awhotrods [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
WT, any particular year gas tank I should hunt for?  I still need a tank and maf, so if anyone has one let me know.

You should know what im gonna suggest already dont you?  :greengrin:  Id put a efi tank in behind the axle under the bed.  It'll have a larger capacity and it fits perfectly between the framerails. Ive never hit mine beings the springs are inboarded they get hit before the tank.  Although a heavy duty skid is on the to-do list.

WHITE_TRASH

• Member since Feb '03
    • View Profile
Im using a 94 short bed standard cab tank now and it 16ish gallons.  The tank that I gave BigMike is an 18 I believe.  It cameout of the 90 2x x-cab.  Basically if a rig has a longer wheelbase it will have the larger tank.  For the maf Im using the one from the 90 on the engine from the 94.  It was a direct hookup.  I would have used the maf from the 94 but it was crushed from the rollover. Darnit...