Author Topic: auto locker for 18 Tacoma TRD Sport  (Read 733 times)

Dave T

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Turtle Points: 40
  • Member since Sep '19
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
auto locker for 18 Tacoma TRD Sport
« on: Sep 25, 2019, 07:20:55 PM »
Hello

I have an 18 Tacoma sport.  I love my truck, but I cannot stand the open diff!  An auto locker would best suit my driving style.  I went to get a detroit locker installed and was sorely disappointed that there is a new sized differential on the sport model. The only locker that I can get is an ARB selectable locker.  Does anyone know if any company has an auto locker in the works?  If not, I am considering changing the whole dang rear end. I am planning on installing the Marlin RCLT long travel when available. Is a tundra rear end feasible?  Disc brakes would be nice.

Thanks
Dave T

Pat

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 786
  • Male Posts: 944
  • Member since Jun '02
  • Oroville, Ca
    • View Profile
Re: auto locker for 18 Tacoma TRD Sport
« Reply #1 on: Sep 25, 2019, 10:21:06 PM »
Arb ain't a bad option for such a new nice truck.  Or heck call the yards for a factory toyota elocker rear.
Sharing time between Northern Ca and Western Tn..

Dave T [OP]

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Turtle Points: 40
  • Member since Sep '19
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sep 27, 2019, 07:40:39 PM »
Thank you for your reply. It’s my understanding that my truck has an 8-3/4” rear end. I believe the off road and pro still use the 8”. So an e-locker won’t fit. I’m thinking that if I get an 8” or a tundra rear end I could put any locker I prefer in. The tundra sounds appealing because it’s should be even more stout, and being wider might work out with the long travel front suspension I’d like. Has anyone heard of anyone doing this. I’m not sure if the brakes would work, or the emergency brake for that matter. Uhg. I miss getting sideways in a more predictable manner. I still do love my truck. Apologies for the long wind, but my truck is one of my favorite topics.

Dave T

Pat

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 786
  • Male Posts: 944
  • Member since Jun '02
  • Oroville, Ca
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sep 27, 2019, 07:45:30 PM »
When I said go to the junk yard I was meaning a get the whole rear end.   I will admit I am not sure of the late model elocker though to tell the difference.  I do know it isnt the old motor operated style like the 14 and earlier.

You would be one of the few going wider with such a new rig.  Would be cool.  Keep us posted.
Sharing time between Northern Ca and Western Tn..