Author Topic: Test a transmission / tcase that is not in the truck  (Read 1032 times)

andykrow

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 67
  • Member since Sep '15
    • View Profile
    • Carver Surf Racks
Test a transmission / tcase that is not in the truck
« on: Sep 14, 2017, 10:44:28 AM »
Seems like a noob question so I'm putting it in the noob section. I have found a transmission with a marlin dual case setup attached for sale. It's very clean looking but of course it may have been cleaned up for the sale. Is there any way, short of taking it to a transmission shop, for me to know if it is okay? ie not needing a rebuild?

I feel like the answer here is to mount it up and drive it or take it to a shop. Just hoping there are some obvious things I can check while it is on the floor.

Thanks!
85 4runner, 22re, 5spd, Ultimate crawler, Alcan lift that is too high, 35s, ARBs.

OVRAROK

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 26739
  • Male Posts: 3,522
  • Member since Dec '10
    • View Profile
Seems like a noob question so I'm putting it in the noob section. I have found a transmission with a marlin dual case setup attached for sale. It's very clean looking but of course it may have been cleaned up for the sale. Is there any way, short of taking it to a transmission shop, for me to know if it is okay? ie not needing a rebuild?

I feel like the answer here is to mount it up and drive it or take it to a shop. Just hoping there are some obvious things I can check while it is on the floor.

Thanks!
all that I can think of is, check for excessive play at the input and output shafts, pull the drain plug, bring a magnetic, see if you can find big chunks of metal. if it comes with shifter you can put it thru the gears, spin input, holding output, feel for a grind, you may be able to feel if it has bad bearings.   :twocents:
Even the most primitive society, has an intimate respect for the insane.

andykrow [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 67
  • Member since Sep '15
    • View Profile
    • Carver Surf Racks
Cool, good tips. Thanks!
85 4runner, 22re, 5spd, Ultimate crawler, Alcan lift that is too high, 35s, ARBs.