Author Topic: Battery won't charge  (Read 2815 times)

TALLMANBEAR

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since Jun '16
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Battery won't charge
« on: Jun 21, 2016, 01:33:01 PM »
I just bought a 1983 toyota 4x4 pickup. I bought a new alternator and voltage regulater but it still won't charge the battery. My light is on in the dash showing my battery light. Put new battery in it think maybe it was bad but still won't charge. Any help would be great since I am new to the old style Toyota's. I have had 95 4 runners and newer but not one this old and I can't figure it out.

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk

Mudder

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 3487
  • Member since May '15
    • View Profile
Re: Battery won't charge
« Reply #1 on: Jun 21, 2016, 03:55:41 PM »
I'd start by checking all the plugs throughout the alternator to engine wiring harness. One of the wires could've easily broken with its age. But before you do that start the truck and take a multimeter to the battery and see if your volts go up at all with it started

TALLMANBEAR [OP]

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Member since Jun '16
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Jun 21, 2016, 05:42:46 PM »
With it running it is show 11 volts with the battery hooked up. But if I pull the positive cable it dies like the alternator is bad.

OVRAROK

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 26739
  • Male Posts: 3,522
  • Member since Dec '10
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Jun 21, 2016, 05:59:20 PM »
with it running, have you tried to see volts at alternator, you may have a break in wire
Even the most primitive society, has an intimate respect for the insane.

Snowtoy

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 1403
  • Male Posts: 2,583
  • Member since Sep '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Jun 21, 2016, 06:18:39 PM »
With it running it is show 11 volts with the battery hooked up. But if I pull the positive cable it dies like the alternator is bad.

Either your alternator isn't charging, or there is an issue with the wiring, you should be around 13-14volts at the battery terminals with it running.

"New parts" from parts houses aren't always new, if the wiring is fine, have the "new alt" tested.
'90 black X-cab mod'd 3.0, 33's/4.88's, rear ARB, custom bumpers, sliders, safari rack, etc.
'91 Blue X-cab 22re, 35's/5.29's,Truetrac front, ARB rear, dual cases, and custom Safari flatbed, bumper, interior.
The money pit '87 Supra resto/mod

TALLMANBEAR [OP]

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Member since Jun '16
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Jun 21, 2016, 07:13:28 PM »
Ok thanks I will try testing the alternator.  Where is a good place to get a wire diagram for it.

kneedownnate

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1128
  • Male Posts: 9,757
  • Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Jun 23, 2016, 10:16:00 PM »
Do you have a multimeter?  If so (and you should, they'll save your ass) you should pull the harness that plugs into the back of the alternator and runs up to the voltage regulator.  I did on mine after I went through a few alternators from kragen/oreillys and a couple regulators before I realized their original alternator had fried the wiring in that little harness.  I just tested the ohms on each wire till I had one that was wildly different than the others, and ended up finding another 1 or 2 that were none too fresh.
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

kneedownnate

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1128
  • Male Posts: 9,757
  • Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Jun 23, 2016, 10:17:15 PM »
This is cheap and looks nearly identical to the one I bought off the Mac tools truck for quite a bit more:  http://www.sears.com/craftsman-multimeter-digital-with-8-functions-and-20/p-03482141000P?sid=IDx01192011x000001&gclid=CIbiqpDzv80CFZRlfgodcI4G9Q&gclsrc=aw.ds
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

emsvitil

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 7571
  • Male Posts: 3,561
  • Member since May '07
    • View Profile
    • emsvitil's album
    • Buy me a soda
« Reply #8 on: Jun 23, 2016, 10:24:48 PM »
There's free coupons all the time for multi-meters at Harbor Freight............
Ed
SoCal
86 SR5 XtraCab
22RE  W56B
31x10.50R15

Gnarly4X

• Online Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 5134
  • Male Posts: 4,259
  • Member since Jun '16
  • 4-wheeling vicariously.
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #9 on: Jul 09, 2016, 05:22:44 AM »
Hey T,

It's been a couple weeks.  Did you find out why the alternator is not charging?

Thanks,

Gnarls.  :spin:
1986 XtraCab SR5 22RE 5speed W56B, ~16,000 MI after break-in, DIM (Did It Myself) rebuilt engine - .020" over, engnbldr RV head, OS valves, 261C cam, DT Header. https://imgur.com/oACTHTR

God Bless Our Troops... Especially Our Snipers. The 2nd defends the 1st
MEMBER: WWP, T2T, VFW, NRA, GOA, SAF, Mammoth Nation, C2 Tactical, Hillsdale College, Humane Society of the U.S. - "We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used to create them." ~ Albert Einstein