Author Topic: If you can't walk, might as well crawl. Caleb's '92 2WD SAS Project  (Read 30928 times)

blackdiamond

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1174
  • Male Posts: 5,060
  • Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
1989 4Runner: Dual Ultimate (Inchworm front & Marlin 4.70 rear), Marlin Twin Stick, 1200-lb clutch, 4.88 R&P, Aussie Front, Detroit rear, 30-spline Longs, Long hub gears, ARP hub and knuckle studs & 35x12.50 Cooper STT PRO tires.  Marlin rear bumper & sliders.  FROR front bumper.  SAS with Alcan springs & Rancho 9000XL shocks.  Budbuilt Bolt-on traction bar.  Custom Interior Cage by Those Guys Rod and Customs.

Moab Tested & Rubicon Approved

H8PVMNT [OP]

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 452
  • Male Posts: 3,554
  • Member since May '07
  • I'LL NEVER MAKE IT...
    • View Profile
Parts arrive?

Yes you guys are awesome!  That was fast.  We were gone on a medical trip three days so I wasn't online.  It got here on Monday afternoon.

The pitman arm he sent is however a standard IFS drop, which we all ready have, not the cruiser arm.  I don't think this is what you intended.  Let me know and I'll send it back to him.  I really don't want to even say anything but I thought you would want to know. I'd be happy to help with shipping on payday next week if he has an LC arm around.
“I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth.”
– Steve McQueen

"Except for maybe Seattle."  -H8PVMNT

"I plan to hit 300k in this truck"  :)bestgen4runner

"I'm jealous of your shop. It has concrete and doesn't smell like pickles like the old shop  "  300K

blackdiamond

• Turtle Points: 1174
  • Male Posts: 5,060
  • Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
Yes you guys are awesome!  That was fast.  We were gone on a medical trip three days so I wasn't online.  It got here on Monday afternoon.

The pitman arm he sent is however a standard IFS drop, which we all ready have, not the cruiser arm.  I don't think this is what you intended.  Let me know and I'll send it back to him.  I really don't want to even say anything but I thought you would want to know. I'd be happy to help with shipping on payday next week if he has an LC arm around.

I misunderstood what you were looking for and confused the arm that would accept FJ80 ends and an actual Landcruiser arm.  This is his only spare arm.  I replied to your PM.
1989 4Runner: Dual Ultimate (Inchworm front & Marlin 4.70 rear), Marlin Twin Stick, 1200-lb clutch, 4.88 R&P, Aussie Front, Detroit rear, 30-spline Longs, Long hub gears, ARP hub and knuckle studs & 35x12.50 Cooper STT PRO tires.  Marlin rear bumper & sliders.  FROR front bumper.  SAS with Alcan springs & Rancho 9000XL shocks.  Budbuilt Bolt-on traction bar.  Custom Interior Cage by Those Guys Rod and Customs.

Moab Tested & Rubicon Approved

H8PVMNT [OP]

• Member since May '07
  • I'LL NEVER MAKE IT...
    • View Profile
I'll ship it back to him next week.

Thanks again though really!
– Steve McQueen

"I'm jealous of your shop. It has concrete and doesn't smell like pickles like the old shop  "  300K

H8PVMNT [OP]

• Member since May '07
  • I'LL NEVER MAKE IT...
    • View Profile
We had a "crawl race" last night between Caleb's pickup and my 4runner. His 22re/5.29/duals against my 22r/5.29/4.7s.  I could go slower if I rode the brakes but I killed it so he won.  He can clearly go a bit slower with the duals than I can with the 4.7s, which makes sense.

After that I showed him how to drive up a tree with his pickup and we hauled a roll of field fence.
– Steve McQueen

H8PVMNT [OP]

• Member since May '07
  • I'LL NEVER MAKE IT...
    • View Profile
Haven't done much on Caleb's truck other than get a passenger seat belt and headlights in it. He uses it almost daily for chores and tom-foolery.  He describes it as his "only source of freedom right now".  A little while back he was showing off for a 21 year old girl who was in shotgun and decided to take an extra hairy line off a 6' embankment.  He managed to roll it on it's lid, but somehow didn't even break any glass.  A few new dents in the roof though :).  Unfortunately they already had it back on it's wheels by the time I got home and no pics.

This weekend we needed to put some electric fence around our swap so horse and cows can eat it for a month or two.  We had Caleb use his truck for a boat.  He discovered 2nd low and the slow churn.  We did fine until we got into the "cabbage".  The thick swamp grass was too much for the bald Falkens to chew so he got epically stuck. 

I took the driver's seat to show him how it was done and only managed another 6 feet forward and about a foot more down.  In the process I slammed my wife's hand in the drivers door by the roof and took maybe 10-15 seconds to figure out what she was carrying on about.  That was nice. The door flexed out on top and nothing was broken though.

It was dark by then so we decided to quit for the night.  Then Caleb's brother Jake and I winched it through the rest of the bog and finished he fence the next day.  Glad to be done with that.

After this experience Caleb is on the hunt for a tired set of hand-me -down TSLs ;).

Here is Jake doing recovery duty...

« Last Edit: Oct 11, 2016, 03:29:52 PM by H8PVMNT »
– Steve McQueen

H8PVMNT [OP]

• Member since May '07
  • I'LL NEVER MAKE IT...
    • View Profile
Caleb wheeling through the cottonwood jungle on the famed "Rubber Lake Trail" earlier this year...

– Steve McQueen

Mudder

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 3487
  • Member since May '15
    • View Profile
Any updates lately?

H8PVMNT [OP]

• Member since May '07
  • I'LL NEVER MAKE IT...
    • View Profile
Any updates lately?

Caleb is over at Mayo Clinic in Rochester this week and I have been driving his truck to work with no shocks :) while my 4runner is down.  His 22re runs very well.  Radiator was leaking, so I swapped in a spare which is also pretty hammered. Weather hasn't been very conducive to fabrication.  He did a little drag racing on the ice with it a while back.  I will try to post up some fun nonsense when he gets home.
– Steve McQueen

kneedownnate

• Turtle Points: 1128
  • Male Posts: 9,757
  • Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
I took advantage of a dry day off and painted my radiator.  If you have to do the same, I suggest vht engine enamel.  Sprays very nicely and covers quite well
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

94Runna

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 453
  • Male Posts: 83
  • Member since Feb '17
  • 253 <--> 808 Instagram: Hapa_4
    • View Profile
just read through this thread. the second one of yours so far and they are always a good read.
Got any more? ;D

H8PVMNT [OP]

• Member since May '07
  • I'LL NEVER MAKE IT...
    • View Profile
As winter eases up we will be doing more on this and he will be doing more driving too. Soon...
– Steve McQueen

GuyonaBuffalo!

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 47
  • Male Posts: 20
  • Member since Feb '17
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
Meh, its not a first gen :talkingn: :talkingn:
"I done told ya, you don't mess with a guy on a buffalo!"

knucklebuster

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 271
  • Member since Mar '09
    • View Profile
Still need shocks or any little stuff?

H8PVMNT [OP]

• Member since May '07
  • I'LL NEVER MAKE IT...
    • View Profile
He has some 14" stroke Gabriel shocks that were only used on a mock up.  He needs some bump stops and one of those 1/2 drop pitman arm or a stock FJ80 pitman arm.

He is walking more and more these days so as the weather gets better I will be getting him on grinding stuff off and welding things on.  He is wanting to do some kind of exocage, go figure :).
– Steve McQueen

knucklebuster

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 271
  • Member since Mar '09
    • View Profile
Next time I'm at the junk yard I'll see if I can find any of those cool bump stops from a s10 blazer or bravada. The guy that I bought my springs and hangers from called them the poor mans air bumps :thumbs:

Glad to hear Caleb's doin good, I've been pullin for you guys.