Author Topic: Marlin Crawler Shifter Seat/Socket Review  (Read 1577 times)

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 3744
  • Male Posts: 623
  • Member since Jun '15
  • GREEN NAME MAN BAD!
    • View Profile
    • Please ban me!
          OK!
      I am banned!
Marlin Crawler Shifter Seat/Socket Review
« on: May 14, 2016, 01:14:00 PM »
Parts being reviewed:
Seat is HERE
Socket is HERE
Boot is HERE

First off, this post really isn't to inform Marlin Crawler Forum members, you already know how good this stuff is. This post is for the guy with a stocker lil' toyota pickup with 250,000 miles who searches "how to fix toyota pickup shifter slop" into google. If that's you, congratz, you found the right place!

Let's get started. I installed my shifter components almost a year ago, and just did a check on them today. As expected, they're still like new. The problem with my truck was that every gear had the same play as neutral. I ordered a seat, socket, and boot (boot is a genuine Toyota part, NOT marlins!) from marlin crawler. They shipped to my door in 3 days, and installed in under 15 minutes. The install process is extremely easy, it's done from inside the cab of your truck with minimal tools, and only to get the glamor ring off the transmission tunnel. The basic install instructions are as follows, the rest can be found on the store page

-unscrew shifter knobs with your hand
-remove transmission tunnel cover "thing". I didn't have one so this was a no-tool install.
-pull back the rubber boot and slide it up the shifter to have some working room. Mine kinda disintegrated into my hands, luckily I suspected this would happen and ordered one from marlin.
-you will see a spring-loaded "cup", this pushes down and turns counter-clockwise. at this point you won't need gloves, but I would keep some handy.
-remove the shift lever, at this point pull off the socket from the bottom of your shift lever
-pull out old boot...if you still have something there
-follow instructions on the store page
-reinstall shift lever (I had to use actual work gloves to get a grip on the cup)
-slide boot back down and fix it over the transmission

Now, if you had to order a new boot like me, I ended up putting soap on my shift lever and sliding the boot over it.

Here's the actual review.

The parts went in EASY, the parts were a direct improvement, and the parts are long lasting. I would certainly recommend these to a friend, and normally I don't write reviews but I can't find more than a couple on the internet, and these are worth it.

:)bestgen4runner [12:45 PM]:   I am so stupid.

Truer words have never been spoken...