Author Topic: Cingular vs. AT&T  (Read 3736 times)

blackdiamond

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1174
  • Male Posts: 5,058
  • Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
Cingular vs. AT&T
« on: Mar 24, 2005, 09:26:16 AM »
I'm sure almost everyone is aware that Cingular bought out AT&T a while ago.  The store transitioned from AT&T to using both name and now it is only Cingular.  People with AT&T service plans can keep them as long as they keep their existing service package and phone.  The coverage shouldn't really be affected, but the rate plans are significantly different.  I have chosen to stay with my old AT&T plan until I need a new phone.  My wife and I share a plan and she wanted to upgrade her phone.  The local Cingular store (old AT&T store) said that we couldn't purchase an AT&T compatible phone from them, they now only sell Cingular phones.  Of course this would mean that I would also have to get a new Cingular phone and then change service plans and start a new contract.  The guy also said that we could call customer care and possibly purchase an "old" AT&T phone from them.  My wife ended up getting the phone she wanted (Retail about $150) for less than $50 and it was overnighted to her.  There were several options for FREE phones.  The bottom line is this, if you have any interest in getting a new AT&T phone and keeping your current plan, this may be a great opportunity to upgrade your current phone for a great price!  It was almost like  :santa: came to town.  My dad said that he heard that most new cell phones were designed to stop working just before the contract ended forcing us to start a new contract or purchase a new phone a full price.  This sounds fishy, but I wouldn't be surprised.  Just my  :twocents:
1989 4Runner: Dual Ultimate (Inchworm front & Marlin 4.70 rear), Marlin Twin Stick, 1200-lb clutch, 4.88 R&P, Aussie Front, Detroit rear, 30-spline Longs, Long hub gears, ARP hub and knuckle studs & 35x12.50 Cooper STT PRO tires.  Marlin rear bumper & sliders.  FROR front bumper.  SAS with Alcan springs & Rancho 9000XL shocks.  Budbuilt Bolt-on traction bar.  Custom Interior Cage by Those Guys Rod and Customs.

Moab Tested & Rubicon Approved

KYOTA

• Turtle Points: 1759
  • Member since Jan '04
  • Wreckin Ball '09
    • View Profile
Re: Cingular vs. AT&T
« Reply #1 on: Mar 24, 2005, 09:46:38 AM »
I have ATT/Cingular and didnt have to get a new phone or a new service contract when they switched. The screen on my Motorola 720 says ATT on the outside when opened and Cingular on the color screen inside. Either way ATT/Cingular whatever sucks balls and I'll be switching to Nextel soon.

UNBREAKABLE

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 372
  • Male Posts: 2,028
  • Member since Aug '04
  • Yeah, I guess you could say I'm a RockStar
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Mar 24, 2005, 09:54:28 AM »
Fu&* Cingular
That's how I roll

donkeykong

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: -159
  • Member since Jun '03
  • My truck and a nice trail...that's all I need
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Mar 24, 2005, 01:30:34 PM »
You might want to hold off on going nextel, Sprint is in the process of taking control of them, and from the ltest releases it looks like they will be changing the technolagy behind the walkie talkie so you may get a phone now that wont work in a couple of months

FATB0Y

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 2,803
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
    • fatboy on my space.com
« Reply #4 on: Mar 24, 2005, 01:40:52 PM »
I have Cingular and been a customer sense they were bell south in 98 and  :psss: and still have the same plan free incoming calls free caller Id Free voicemail free 3way calling  :yupyup:  It has taken a few years but the coverage area has gotten bigger and I most likely will stay with them :thumbs:

WHITE_TRASH

• Turtle Points: 679
  • Member since Feb '03
  • Don't blame me, I didn't vote for this crap.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Mar 24, 2005, 01:46:07 PM »
Cingular can toss my salad.  Im with at&t, granted Im still supporting Cingular in one way or another obviously but I feel better about it anyway. :hahaha:
Full hydro, 186:1 with an auto and 44's what could go wrong??

blackdiamond [OP]

• Turtle Points: 1174
  • Male Posts: 5,058
  • Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Mar 24, 2005, 02:04:42 PM »
As far as I know, you can use existing AT&T service as long as you wish, my dad is still using the old system (prior to GSM).  I had to get a new phone when I switched to GSM because my wife was using GSM and we could combine our services unless we were on the same network.  If your current AT&T phone dies, you can't purchase a new on in the stores or online anymore, everything is Cingular and not compatible with the old AT&T plans (I know this is nothing more than a sales scam but that is how they build the phones).  Right now you can still get several different model AT&T phones a very discounted rates from Customer Service (Dial 611?).  I have not been excited with my AT&T service, but it seems to be better now that they are part of Cingular.  The best provider for cell service seems to change greatly in different parts of the country.  I think AT&T/Cingular and Sprint may be the best national plans, but I know where I am there are better local plans/services available.  :twocents:
1989 4Runner: Dual Ultimate (Inchworm front & Marlin 4.70 rear), Marlin Twin Stick, 1200-lb clutch, 4.88 R&P, Aussie Front, Detroit rear, 30-spline Longs, Long hub gears, ARP hub and knuckle studs & 35x12.50 Cooper STT PRO tires.  Marlin rear bumper & sliders.  FROR front bumper.  SAS with Alcan springs & Rancho 9000XL shocks.  Budbuilt Bolt-on traction bar.  Custom Interior Cage by Those Guys Rod and Customs.

Moab Tested & Rubicon Approved

KYOTA

• Member since Jan '04
  • Wreckin Ball '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Mar 24, 2005, 02:07:10 PM »
Cingular can toss my salad. 
Hmmmmmmm another good sig line

WHITE_TRASH

• Turtle Points: 679
  • Member since Feb '03
  • Don't blame me, I didn't vote for this crap.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Mar 24, 2005, 02:09:52 PM »
How did I know youd put that pic up Kyota?.... lol 
Heres the reason I hate cingular so much.
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=6579.0
Full hydro, 186:1 with an auto and 44's what could go wrong??

KYOTA

• Member since Jan '04
  • Wreckin Ball '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Mar 24, 2005, 02:15:59 PM »
to tell you the truth I did look for a pic of a jar of grape jelly :gap:

FATB0Y

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
    • fatboy on my space.com
« Reply #10 on: Mar 24, 2005, 02:21:53 PM »
You can buy a unlocked phone on ebay that will work on whatever gsm card you put in it I have a Motorola 720I that is unlocked I can put the card out of my work phone (nextel) or I can use my cingular one my sister has at&t and it will work w/ her card :thumbs:
But I don't use it anymore I got a new LG L1400 :yupyup:

TrackVino

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 45
  • Male Posts: 1,038
  • Member since Oct '04
  • Rocking and Rollin with Marlin!!!
    • View Profile
    • DCD Photo Studios
« Reply #11 on: Mar 24, 2005, 02:59:24 PM »
I have two fairly new Panasonic GU87 phones that only work with AT&T. Anybody interested in buying them?

I was told there a hot item on ebay. Anyway, there really cool camera phones with probably the best screen any other phone has ever came with. It actually looks like a computer screen. And actually, I re programed the phones to not have that stupid camera sound when you take pictures.

Make me an offer, or maybe trade for Toyota parts.

mudguts

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 1114
  • Member since Mar '04
  • Meat of the Gods
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Mar 24, 2005, 03:15:15 PM »
I was with AT&T since 01. When Cingular appeared on my screen, it was suddenly long distance to call my house from the front yard. I canceled my service, and  just use the Nextel that work provided me with, an i530. It's seems like a cheap phone but it does good.
:nerv:                                                                                               :turtle: I love T.I.T.S. :turtle:

FATB0Y

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
    • fatboy on my space.com
« Reply #13 on: Mar 24, 2005, 03:41:10 PM »
 :headscratch: I've never had any long distance charges or roaming charges.

UNBREAKABLE

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 372
  • Male Posts: 2,028
  • Member since Aug '04
  • Yeah, I guess you could say I'm a RockStar
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Mar 24, 2005, 07:00:20 PM »
I have Verizon...I like them :circle:
That's how I roll

Loosekannon

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: -26
  • Male Posts: 1,301
  • Member since Feb '05
  • SoCal--ROCKBRAWLERS--
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Mar 24, 2005, 08:11:20 PM »
 Me->:slap:<- AT&T - They were great when I lived in Arizona but suck in California even with full signal.     Verizon :biggthumpup: love them

lilbuddy

• Dried Fruit Warrior
  • Turtle Points: -234
  • Male Posts: 5,720
  • Member since Aug '04
  • Hella....
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Mar 24, 2005, 09:20:49 PM »
Gay-T&T blows so much ass. They screwed me over for a Free phone and my phone bill was over $200 dollars, yet I stayed under my 250 minutes (only used 200) and was charged pretty much $175 for a new phone.

Thanks for the advice though, i do want a new phone but the people in chico are gay and they dont know what they are talking about when ti comes to phones...
RIP Kyota.... you are the man

GET IT!!!

kneedownnate

• Turtle Points: 1128
  • Male Posts: 9,757
  • Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Mar 25, 2005, 10:09:42 PM »
When I first got my phone it was with at&t but the lady said they were joining together with cingular, said some places it would say at&t and others cingular with no extra charges.  So far that has held true and I've never incurred extra charges, but since they merged my coverage has declined.  I now seem to get horrible reception most places where I used to have full bars.  I'm about to throw my phone through their window if the situation doesn't get better.  The other problem I've had that pissed me off was 2 times I've started getting calls for other people, basically my phone was ringing when people would try and leave the other person a voice mail.  At&t was apologetic when it has happened but if it happens a 3rd time I'll do everything in my power to get out of my contract early with no penalties. 
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

guywithuglyyota

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 212
  • Male Posts: 810
  • Member since Jul '04
  • F-22 Crew Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: Mar 29, 2005, 11:37:35 PM »
I have had them all. But it all matters in where you live. All of the providers are capable of screwing you over.  Nextel has billing issues, ATT I likes a lot untill they merged with cingular, now my coverage is mysteriously smaller, and MANY MANY MANY dropped calls or failed attemts. I have used T-mobile as well but I was told they piggyback verizons system, bad customer service. I say throw away your cell phone all together and we can all visit people in real life like the good ol days    :biggthumpup:
Comedy is the last refuge of the nonconformist mind.

dirtbag

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 841
  • Male Posts: 1,303
  • Member since Jun '04
  • flexes like dried doo-doo
    • View Profile
    • I am hot, huh?
« Reply #19 on: Apr 04, 2005, 07:32:19 PM »
I have MetroPCS, it's ok, only had it a week, so not too sure yet

FATB0Y

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
    • fatboy on my space.com
« Reply #20 on: Apr 05, 2005, 12:31:27 AM »
I have MetroPCS, it's ok, only had it a week, so not too sure yet
who?  :headscratch:

BLACKDOG

• 3.0 Killer
  • Turtle Points: 718
  • Male Posts: 7,644
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Apr 05, 2005, 12:38:53 AM »
since they merged my coverage has declined.  I now seem to get horrible reception most places where I used to have full bars. 

Funny that you say that, my coverage actually has gotten bigger.  I now get service at spotter's parent's house, I never did before, and way out in the cuts as well.  Mabye its the phone I have, its an old school nokia, prolly 3 mabye 4 years old.  My sister thought she had unlimited texting so she ran up a $224 text bill, and cingular cut the whole thing off because of a misunderstanding.  So far they seem to have had decent customer service with my  family.
:usa: Its better to die on your feet than live on your knees :usa:

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free. "

"I don't believe in a government that protects us from ourselves."
              -Ronald Reagan

Don't take life too seriously, it isn't permanent

FATB0Y

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
    • fatboy on my space.com
« Reply #22 on: Apr 05, 2005, 12:45:59 AM »
mine has gotten better also :gap:

CTENG in KS

• Turtle Points: -501
  • Male Posts: 4,295
  • Member since Jun '04
  • ^Alfred the Great
    • View Profile
    • CTENG's Eco-Rant
« Reply #23 on: Apr 05, 2005, 05:53:46 AM »
I have Verizon...I like them :circle:

Me too, switched from Sprint...it was a good move.   :thumbs:
IFS is best kept at ambient temperature in a pile of scrap in the backyard.  When kept under a functioning vehicle, it tends to greatly diminish said vehicle's offroad ability.     -reklund5

4Runner: http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=4580.0
Beastmaster: http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=34339.0