Author Topic: 95 Tacoma sas w/ toyota axle  (Read 4612 times)

damascusyota

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: -39
  • Male Posts: 19
  • Member since Apr '14
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
95 Tacoma sas w/ toyota axle
« on: Oct 01, 2014, 09:27:36 PM »
So I didn't follow through with the last build thread I started up here but intend to with this build.

Now I did follow through with most intentions for my 1980 suspension wise but did not build the axles with chromos, regear, add lockers etc. All I did was add high steer, ruf, rangers rear etc. My 20r started to take a poop on me, it currently runs on 3cyls, leaks oil like a sive, burns oil, possibly coolant, and has low compression in all other cyls. lol not to mention the cab leaks water, and electrical issues have been arising one after another. Most people would just rebuild the motor or swap it out for something with efi which were my plans but didn't seem logical having bought said Tacoma. I'd rather downsize and upgrade all at once. With the money I put into my 80 toy I'd rather not piss it away by buying a dana 44 or 60 and having to get a whole new steering setup etc. I'd also really like to keep it as toyota as possible, I think that has a coolness factor too it plus I haven't seen any build threads online where people start out with a 4x4 taco with a 5vz and go pass. side drop.

Plans:
Get the inchworm adaptor to get rid of the drivers side drop chain driven t-case, so I can use my gear driven t-case along with my axle and high steer setup. Get a second case to run duals, 5.29s front/rear, lockers front/rear, and keep the truck as low as possible to avoid a top heavy taco like most appear to be after sas. I believe in trimming to fit rather then lifting to fit. LCOG will be important to me as it's better in everyway aside from ground clearance I might lose but hopefully minimal at best.

Specs on taco:
1995 Toyota Tacoma 3.4 5spd ext. cab 4x4
312k miles (uncle daily-ed the truck for 19 years he was the second owner and bought it with only 20k miles on it and drove a lot of highway for work)
Suuuuuper clean (hopefully future armor will keep it that way)

Pics of taco and my first gen after suspension stuff was completed

damascusyota [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Apr '14
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Re: 95 Tacoma sas w/ toyota axle
« Reply #1 on: Apr 03, 2015, 10:16:19 PM »
Didn't get around to starting the solid axle swap on my Tacoma until 3-1-2015.

Drivetrain:
-5vz (doing t-belt kit as well)
-r150f
-lce stage 2 clutch masters clutch kit
-dual gear driven cases (2.70:1)
-trail gear adaptors

Front Axle:
-5.29s
-stock birfs/axles  :yikes:
-open (gonna put in a detroit this summer along with 30 spline longs)
-fresh rebuild
-high steer
-tg 4" springs
-12" bilsteins
-tg frenched shackles

Rear Axle:
-5.29s
-detroit
-tg 3" springs
-boomerang shackles (anyone run these or not run these for certain reasons?)
-12" bilsteins

Taking everything over to my buddies shop at his house. He lives 5 minutes from me  :clap: lol

All my :pokinit: and my buddies Factory 5 818 kit car (~450whp fully built moderate boost RWD Subaru powered 1800lbs race car lol its on hold until we get my truck done)

Threw the truck on some ~3ft tall stands used little furniture pads to pick up any inconsistencies in length; we used scrap steel he had from previous construction jobs

Torched this junk out; pulled the wheels and started torching lol

damascusyota [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Apr '14
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Apr 03, 2015, 10:29:50 PM »
Even dustier and dirty now lol poor taco

Pulled my trans. gonna throw it back in once the front axle is hung

My buddies grandpas truck that he is gonna buy from him and were gonna do a full truggy linked front/rear build.
Specs:
454 (550hp built motor but needs some love)
th400 (shift kit)
dana 60 (needs love)
14b drw (needs 2 less wheels)

Got my rear frame reinforcement plates welded on (my welds lack but are getting better)

Having bought this kind of postponed my SAS a little bit but its so sexy :love:

damascusyota [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Apr '14
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Apr 03, 2015, 10:52:07 PM »
I post much more often on Instagram if anyone on here has one mine is: simmonzz

Got the new firewall plate and steering shaft installed

I wanted to keep the rear axle centerline in the same location so I'm not cutting the bed up more then needed and because I don't have a tube bender yet to back halve it and link it

Welded in the spring mount and set the angle of the boomerang shackles at 90* when I later reassembled everything minus the bed and put it on the ground my angle was roughly 50* so with the bed it might drop to 45* which should be good for break in etc.

Cleaned up and called it a night

These are my seqouia wheels I'll be running until I can afford method 105 beadlocks. Since my buddy just bought a super bad ass Snap-On sandblaster I think I'm gonna sandblast my wheels, prime them, and spray em gloss white and just keep painting them different colors whene they start gettin beat up or tired of em lol tires are 37x12.50x17 BFG KM2 with ~50% tread on all 4 with a brand new spare, couldnt pass em up considering I needed tires. They'll last until I can afford 40s

damascusyota [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Apr '14
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Apr 06, 2015, 09:57:45 PM »

I like my approach angle but I don't like how tall this truck is.. frame height is currently 28.5" I'd be satisfied with 24"

tyes

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -10
  • Male Posts: 238
  • Member since May '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Nov 18, 2015, 07:22:35 AM »
hows the progress?? what cross-member are u using for the dual gear driven cases and what are u gonna do with the exhaust piping that rides on the passenger side of the truck where ur gear driven drop case may hit...
86 T4R V8 1UZ-Fe