Author Topic: I want to fix this gaping hole in my transmission tunnel  (Read 3670 times)

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 3744
  • Male Posts: 623
  • Member since Jun '15
  • GREEN NAME MAN BAD!
    • View Profile
    • Please ban me!
          OK!
      I am banned!
I want to fix this gaping hole in my transmission tunnel
« on: Jun 28, 2015, 10:27:58 AM »
backstory:

So I have this gaping hole in my transmission tunnel, and this seems like the best place to post about it. I bought this truck about a year ago, and for most of the time, it has been broken with electrical gremlins or a dead battery. It appears I fixed the battery leak via a new starter, and I'm really starting to dig this truck. It's rusty, gross, and has ghetto drilled holes all over it. And what do you do with something you like? fix it! First thing is this huge hole.

What I plan to buy:

The gear stick has like 6 inches of play in 3rd gear, but I'm guessing the marlin ball seat will fix that?
I'm also going to buy a boot with that metal ring that goes around the tunnel.

Questions:

I was wondering what the best action to take was? I was thinking hammering it as flat as possible, then taking a piece of metal and welding it on top and cutting a hole in it for the gear sticks, and then slapping the boot on top. The problem is I don't want my whole cab to smell like exhaust, would it happen if I did this? I'm guessing some people are going to suggest to cut the whole tunnel out of there and reweld a new one...

Extra info:

The previous owner took like some kind of tarp and stuffed it in there, and threw a piece of leather over it  :smack:
This truck is more of a hunting truck rather than a crawling truck. I just wanted something that could get me far out to some good hunting spots, the bonus is I get to do some wheeling through great scenery.
I think when I get this truck in better shape, I will go rock crawling because it does look like A LOT of fun.

Also I can't figure out how to add pictures, so here you go from imgur... http://imgur.com/7Jm9JRT,Pc5itUz,P3L1Gll,gbzJZuD,chCy3Fh,nDhZfe5,ubxhKhl#6 It's multiple pictures, so be sure to check em all out! :)

THANK YOU FOR READING!
« Last Edit: Jun 28, 2015, 10:42:04 AM by 300,000 »
:)bestgen4runner [12:45 PM]:   I am so stupid.

Truer words have never been spoken...

84Flatbed

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: -196
  • Member since Jun '13
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Maybe I'm looking at it wrong but wouldn't the shifter boot with metal ring cover the opening?

84Flatbed

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: -196
  • Member since Jun '13
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Took another look, it does look like it was cut up a little. Does it have a tall body lift? Trying to understand why it needed clearancing for the shifter.

OVRAROK

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 26778
  • Male Posts: 3,527
  • Member since Dec '10
    • View Profile
I would get a piece of 18 gauge sheet metal,use a piece of cardboard as template, cut out metal beat it with a hammer until it shaped right, either weld on, if you have welder, or drill some holes and rivet it on, go down to Lowe's and get some peel and seal, cover with that, it will seal any fumes out
Even the most primitive society, has an intimate respect for the insane.

300k [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jun '15
  • GREEN NAME MAN BAD!
    • View Profile
    • Please ban me!
          OK!
      I am banned!
Does it have a tall body lift?

Glad you asked! The previous owner took a piece of square tubing and used that as a spacer!  :mad: Also, can anyone tell me what trans that is? I want to order some parts. My guess is the white shifter heavy duty seat, and the round shift handle boot.

Trying to understand why it needed clearancing for the shifter.

It's like that because that's where 5th gear goes. the left and right shots are the amount of play 3rd gear has.
« Last Edit: Jun 28, 2015, 05:17:52 PM by 300,000 »

OOPS

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 1304
  • Male Posts: 2,561
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
If it were me I would go to P-N-P with a battery powered sawzall and cut that part of the floor pan out of a pu or runner. Cut the damaged part out and trim the piece to fit. Weld in in place or pop rivet. Get some body seam sealer and seal it up, and paint it top and bottom to stop it from rusting. That way you can run the stock 3-piece boot with the metal ring and not worry about it leaking fumes.
David & Theresa Fritzsche, 1990 Ex-Cab with a few mods!!!!!!!!! Roseville, CA Sobriety =Serenity

300k [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jun '15
  • GREEN NAME MAN BAD!
    • View Profile
    • Please ban me!
          OK!
      I am banned!
If it were me I would go to P-N-P with a battery powered sawzall and cut that part of the floor pan out of a pu or runner. Cut the damaged part out and trim the piece to fit. Weld in in place or pop rivet. Get some body seam sealer and seal it up, and paint it top and bottom to stop it from rusting. That way you can run the stock 3-piece boot with the metal ring and not worry about it leaking fumes.

!!!!!  :hammerhead: Genius! Executive action will start sometime this week!  :clap:  :biggthumpup:

kjchubby

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 531
  • Male Posts: 34
  • Member since Jun '15
  • Crawlin PNW
    • View Profile
Or an old street sign or license plates. :therethere:
Tow Pig: 1995 Dodge Cummins 12v, 4' MBRP turbo back exhaust, GlowShift A-Piller Gauges, Adjustable Boost Elbow, 2.5" leveling kit, 35" BFG AT KO's, BHAF

Trail Rig(The Smurf): 1982 Toyota Pickup, 22r, Red top Optima, 63's/RUF's, 38's, 5.29's, open front, spool rear

Slabzilla

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 1355
  • Male Posts: 539
  • Member since Dec '13
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
You want to take that shifter out as you want to put a Marlin seat and socket in there an most important, get a new bot for the shifter tower after youv'e cleaned it out.  the trans you have depends on the year of your truck. On Marlin"s site there are two Kinds a round one like yours and a square one for the
W Type trans, just get the round on you'll be fine.
'85 Xtra-cab, 4.5" Downey Off-Road lift, 12-15 KM2's on American Racing Baja's, Marlin's-4.88's & 4.7's, Downey Off-Road CAI, Marlin rear bumper & sliders

TheeMikeB

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: -19
  • Member since Aug '13
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Check out this thread...
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=95156.0

nice way to fix the hole while leaving access.. this guy has duals but you could still do something similar.