Author Topic: rides terrible, on tons and RUF with 63 out back  (Read 18661 times)

19psi

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since Apr '15
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Well, they suggested that i use their long travel front springs which he told me are teh same length as stock 2nd gen rears. Hopefully that's correct! that way the only issue would bve the center pin which may or may not turn out to be an issue.
94 extended cab, 14B rear w/Detroit, D60 fr with E-locker, dual cases, 42" IROK's

84Flatbed

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: -196
  • Member since Jun '13
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Well, they suggested that i use their long travel front springs which he told me are teh same length as stock 2nd gen rears. Hopefully that's correct! that way the only issue would bve the center pin which may or may not turn out to be an issue.

I think the "long travel" springs are the only springs they sell for these trucks. When you do get the springs take a quick measurement along the arch, center to center of spring eyes and post up :thumbs:.

MRHilux87

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: -306
  • Male Posts: 424
  • Member since Apr '11
    • View Profile
Ive got some allpro front springs on my runner. They are the longest lasting springs ive used.   A little taller than RUF, but you can pull a leaf or add some weight with a heavy winch or bumper.  If you want the best shocks valved specifically for your rig, look at the 4wunderground site under radflo shocks. 
1987 4Runner.   3RZ.  SAS Duals 5.29 Elocker Rear Detroit front 35s... Hydro assist
2007 Cummins 6.7 DRW g56.  deleted EFI live.
2013 Ninja 1000
SOLD:
2006 Mitsibishi EVO 9.  347WHP runs 12.2s - Wifes daily driver.  Ducati 916 - track bike.

19psi [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Apr '15
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
All pro front springs are on, fit perfectly.
However, my rear springs are weird.  I was under the assumption they were 63s, but they're not. Much shorter. Anybody know what they are?
« Last Edit: Apr 18, 2015, 04:33:25 PM by 19psi »
94 extended cab, 14B rear w/Detroit, D60 fr with E-locker, dual cases, 42" IROK's

blackdiamond

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1174
  • Male Posts: 5,057
  • Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
Newer Jeeps with coil springs do ride a lot better in almost every case compared to leaf springs. With 42 inch tires you should pretty much be able to run 0 psi and be ok, right?

What shocks are you running?  It sounds like you are getting an empty flatbed truck type of ride and not flopping around from having uncontrolled springs.
1989 4Runner: Dual Ultimate (Inchworm front & Marlin 4.70 rear), Marlin Twin Stick, 1200-lb clutch, 4.88 R&P, Aussie Front, Detroit rear, 30-spline Longs, Long hub gears, ARP hub and knuckle studs & 35x12.50 Cooper STT PRO tires.  Marlin rear bumper & sliders.  FROR front bumper.  SAS with Alcan springs & Rancho 9000XL shocks.  Budbuilt Bolt-on traction bar.  Custom Interior Cage by Those Guys Rod and Customs.

Moab Tested & Rubicon Approved

84Flatbed

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jun '13
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
All pro front springs are on, fit perfectly.
However, my rear springs are weird.  I was under the assumption they were 63s, but they're not. Much shorter. Anybody know what they are?

63's are chevy. The toyota rears from all pro and tg are 56" or 57".

19psi [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Apr '15
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
63's are chevy. The toyota rears from all pro and tg are 56" or 57".

Hmmm, so what would be right under 55"? mine are obviously flattened out so with a right arch, they'd be even shorter eye to eye.

84Flatbed

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jun '13
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Hmmm, so what would be right under 55"? mine are obviously flattened out so with a right arch, they'd be even shorter eye to eye.

Springs are measured along/following the arch eye to eye, not straight across. So flat or arched the measurements would be the same. What is the width of those springs?

Could be f-150's, you should  be able to find the specs on the Ford springs and compare to yours. I think the f-150 springs are about the same length as allpros and tg rears if you wanted to get away from using them. Not sure how the center pin placement compares.
« Last Edit: Apr 19, 2015, 07:49:29 AM by 84Flatbed »

spuds015

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 123
  • Male Posts: 216
  • Member since May '10
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
F150's have a long and a short side between 57 and 54 inches total depending on model year. That spring clamp looks the same as my f150s and they are 54 eye to eye with 9 inches of arch lol
'81 pickup 5vzfe, r150f, 35's, welded 5.29's, f150 rear springs, Rears up front, TG dual adapter w/ 2.28's

19psi [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Apr '15
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Thanks for the info. Measured correctly and they are about 56 5/8" which seems to be trail gears springs. 

19psi [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Apr '15
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Newer Jeeps with coil springs do ride a lot better in almost every case compared to leaf springs. With 42 inch tires you should pretty much be able to run 0 psi and be ok, right?

What shocks are you running?  It sounds like you are getting an empty flatbed truck type of ride and not flopping around from having uncontrolled springs.
Well, the shocks are some long Monroe jobs... I think we narrowed it down to my springs being worn out.

84Flatbed

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jun '13
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Thanks for the info. Measured correctly and they are about 56 5/8" which seems to be trail gears springs.

I don't think there Tg springs, Trail Gears have a military wrap, yours don't, the clamp on tg springs are closer to the eye and have a anti wrap leaf under it (half leaf), yours don't.
Im still leaning toward those being f-150's. How wide are they? Tg springs are 2 3/8", most of the domestic trucks (ford,chevy etc) are 2 1/2".