Author Topic: Customer service??.....  (Read 1737 times)

81 Toyo

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since Apr '13
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Customer service??.....
« on: Jul 30, 2014, 04:36:54 PM »
After waiting 10 weeks for my rebuilt L52 to arrive from Marlin I was anxious to get my 83 back on the road......after spending the day installing the rebuilt it was off for a test ride.    Well I was totally disappointed to see gear oil running down the clutch fork and out the boot. So I tried calling Marlin all day Monday and no answer......pulled the trans yesterday to find the input shaft cover area soaked in gear oil...wtf!.......several more calls on Tues all went unanswered.......more calls today along with emails have all gone unanswered.......Is this customer service?????  I can't even get in touch with somebody over this defective rebuild, I'm very disappointed and frustrated with this whole experience.......Anybody know what's going on at this Company......not answering phones is a insane way to do business!

3rzrunner

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Turtle Points: -2
  • Member since Jul '14
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Re: Customer service??.....
« Reply #1 on: Jul 30, 2014, 06:58:25 PM »
This is EXACTLY how I feel..... I have no idea how they do business!
 read my thread.
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=97205.0

BigMike

• Administrator
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 2159
  • Male Posts: 18,292
  • Member since Apr '02
  • 511:1 Club
    • View Profile
    • Bone-Stock Plane-Jane 1981 Shortbed Pickup
« Reply #2 on: Aug 01, 2014, 11:10:59 AM »
Hello 81 Toyo,

Thank you for posting up and sorry for the trouble you've had with your transmission. Our transmissions should never leak any gear oil and we have a warranty specifically for this on our terms page. As for our customer service, we have 1 person trying to take care of everything (web orders, phone orders, tech calls, core returns, responding to two different email inboxes, faxes, and walk-in orders) and as mentioned a few times in other threads, we have a new sales employee that is beginning work with us next Monday which will be a welcoming addition to our team. Baring in mind that we have had a sales staff of three full time employees since I believe 2002, in the last two months we've seen two of our 3 sales employees switch careers entirely so it has been quite the scramble for our 1 remaining sales person :willynilly:

Fortunately this is happening during our down season but yes I am aware that we need to rebuild our sales staff. Regardless, we value every product and every customer equally and desire to see your transmission working properly for you for many, many thousands of miles to come!

So if you would please send me a PM by clicking here with your order #, I will have someone get in contact with you early next week :thumbs: :beerchug:

After a few days of this new sales employee getting used to our system, we should have much improved phone and email coverage hopefully by mid-next week!

This is EXACTLY how I feel..... I have no idea how they do business!
3rzrunner, I have been out of the office since last week but managed to get someone to look into this. I will reply to your thread but since you are posting here I'd like to let everyone know that you are not our customer and as per our Distributor agreement with the company you purchased our product through, they are the ones who need to handle your order. Please see my detailed reply to your thread for more information.

Regards,
BigMike
Check out our new Rock Crawling Videos!
2016 56-speed 580:1 Tacoma Rock Crawler   
1981 36-speed 511:1 3RZ-FE Rock Crawler
1987 6-speed Supercharged 4A-GZE MR2
Instagram: @SlowestTacoma
Things are only impossible until they are not.
"The worst of both worlds, the best of neither." -abnormaltoy
"An informed question. But difficult to answer. I am what you see." -Nanaki

81 Toyo [OP]

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since Apr '13
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sep 22, 2014, 11:21:00 AM »
So here it is Sept 22 and still no calls or communication from Marlin.....unreal......sent out my core for a refund back in July and still no refund???....tried calling today and still all I get is their stupid answering message about experiencing "high call volumn".....yeah right....this is by far the worst company I've ever dealt with in my 57 years on this planet....

BigMike

• Administrator
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 2159
  • Male Posts: 18,292
  • Member since Apr '02
  • 511:1 Club
    • View Profile
    • Bone-Stock Plane-Jane 1981 Shortbed Pickup
« Reply #4 on: Sep 29, 2014, 11:15:23 AM »
Hello 81 Toyo,

I haven't been on the forums in a while and looked into this just now. I did receive your private messages and am sorry for not replying to them. I just spoke to Christine and she sent your refund last week. I did not ask with the sales guys or the transmission department as to what took so long. As mentioned over the summer we only had 1 sales guy and had to trim back to 1 phone line, but we now have 2 sales guys and another part-time sales guy with 3 phone lines open, so please give us a call to discuss warranty info, if needed.

I'd like to address the issue you experienced. You for sure should not have had any leaks and definitely should not have had to fix it yourself. This is why we guarantee our transmissions for a generous unlimited mileage & 12 months. I see in your PM that you installed a paper gasket on the nose cone to address the leak.
We do not use paper gaskets for two reasons:

1) We blue print every transmission and depend on the minimal thickness of the genuine Toyota FIPG silicone we use to control the end-play of the input gear (to maximize the life of the input and input bearing). In fact on our Heavy Duty builds we machine the nose cones to preload the bearing making a thin silicone seal all that more important, and

2) Paper gaskets do a horrible job at sealing transmission housings and as a result beginning in 1988 Toyota stopped using them on all truck transmissions and upgraded to silicone instead. We follow suit by upgrading pre-1988 transmissions such as yours to this superior sealing method that Toyota uses on modern transmissions.

Both standard and HD builds are blueprinted and by switching to a paper gasket at the nose cone you have introduced end-play to the input gear as well as a paper seal that is less reliable than silicone. I cannot say that the paper gasket is detrimental in the immediate sense, and I don't want to scare you as after all the earlier transmissions did indeed use a paper gasket by default, but Marlin has invested an enormous amount of time into improving Toyota transmissions and my advice would be that someday down the road if you ever pull out the transmission for any reason you should remove that paper gasket and replace it with genuine Toyota silicone to ensure maximum life from your input gear and input bearing. :thumbs:

I am going to lock this thread because we do not use the forums for Customer Service anymore and this specific board is for newbie Rock Crawling questions only. Now that we have multiple sales personnel, we are focusing our customer service support through the phone lines and have been receiving very positive response from people as a result. So if you couldn't get through earlier this summer, I encourage you to try calling us Monday-Thursday toll free at 888-942-7295 or locally at 559-252-7295.

Additional info I'd like to include regarding our customer service is that in the past we had leveraged technology into 9 avenues for customer support: Phone, Forum Customer Support, Forum Product Support, four Private Message accounts, eight Personal Email accounts, one main Sales Email account, Webmaster contact account, Live Chat monitored by 3 technicians, and Walk-In service and support. This was by far and wide the most coverage in our industry but as you can imagine it became overwhelming so we have removed most of this and are encouraging everyone to please contact us direct by phone. :phone: :wave:

Regards,
BigMike
Check out our new Rock Crawling Videos!
2016 56-speed 580:1 Tacoma Rock Crawler   
1981 36-speed 511:1 3RZ-FE Rock Crawler
1987 6-speed Supercharged 4A-GZE MR2
Instagram: @SlowestTacoma
Things are only impossible until they are not.
"The worst of both worlds, the best of neither." -abnormaltoy
"An informed question. But difficult to answer. I am what you see." -Nanaki