Author Topic: A question or two  (Read 693 times)

Speed

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -22
  • Male Posts: 127
  • Member since Jun '14
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
A question or two
« on: Jun 16, 2014, 08:32:20 PM »
   Hi all;
   I just posted over in "Engines",and thought I should check in here as well. I'm really not so into rock crawling,but I like the '81 Toyota 4X4 I just got quite a bit. I'm actually planning to make it my Daily Driver,at least while I do repairs on my other projects. ('66 Pontiac Catalina,'84 Bronco II,'76 3/4 ton Power Wagon,'54 GMC 2 Ton flatbed,'57 GMC LCF w/dump flatbed,'76 GMC One Ton duallie flatbed,'52 Chevy 1-1/2 Ton dump truck-so far) Never know,I might keep it on the road.
   I don't know much about these Toyota trucks,but will be getting a repair manual for it on payday. Until then,I'll just have to pester you with questions I SHOULD know the answers to. I guess my biggest,most all-inclusive question is,Does this year/model have any chronic problems I need to expect trouble from? Mine has 156,000 on it,seems to be a good runner but has some noise from the front of the motor (Timing Chain?),and seems to take a long time to drop back to idle when I rev it. Didn't locate any vacuum leaks,I'm figuring everything is connected where it belongs. The whole truck is stock except the muffler (off an '83 Mustang)and it has almost new 7.00X15 Bias Mud-n-Snows on it. If anyone knows a good Power Steering conversion for it (junkyard parts are fine with me) That would be a great help too. On my income,I'm ALL about "Cheap".
   Speed
"HMMmmmm--What can I make outta that??"

"Bash On Regardless"

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 730
  • Male Posts: 13,860
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
Re: A question or two
« Reply #1 on: Jun 16, 2014, 08:35:46 PM »
Yeah sounds like the timing chain tensors are done, that's what the rattling sound from the front is. 
The Ghost-Rider/Ghost Runner

No matter how far you fall, the ground will always catch you

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 730
  • Male Posts: 13,860
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
« Reply #2 on: Jun 16, 2014, 08:36:12 PM »
Oh and :welcome: to Marland
The Ghost-Rider/Ghost Runner

No matter how far you fall, the ground will always catch you

Prismo

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 8403
  • Member since Oct '03
  • Living in the green house
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Jun 16, 2014, 08:41:41 PM »
Get a factory service manual for repairs, 10 times better than Chilton. Pull the valve cover & look down past the cam gear & you can see the timing chain & the guides. Set the valves while you are in there if the chain is good. All it will cost you is a valve cover gasket if it needs one.
Retired Great White Turtle Hunter
Originally posted by fortysixandtwo – sheesh, you should see the transvestites i sell ammo to sometimes

Speed [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -22
  • Male Posts: 127
  • Member since Jun '14
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #4 on: Jun 16, 2014, 10:37:13 PM »
   Thanks,Rocksurfer-it's good to see others that know about this stuff.
      Prismo,Napa will sell me the complete timing set with a new water pump for about $120.00. I can find it about 20 bucks cheaper on ebay,but you never know what quality of parts you're getting there. I've never had any trouble with NAPA parts. 
   Valve adjustment-I think I remember reading to adjust them warm,intake @ .014,exhaust @ .017;does that sound right?
   And NAPA can get me just an accelerator pump for either 8 or 11 dollars,depending on the VIN. So-I can see where the remains of my next check will be going. :yikes:
   Speed
"HMMmmmm--What can I make outta that??"

"Bash On Regardless"