Author Topic: new to me but old yota  (Read 2349 times)

mud37

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since May '14
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
new to me but old yota
« on: May 22, 2014, 08:17:55 PM »
OK so i have wheeled for a while and have had other yotas in the past  :therethere: ... this one takes the cake...  :shocking: its an "81" yota dunno manufacture date for sure cant read the door tag due to 4 different paint jobs....was told it has a 22r in it but upon further review it has a20r head... I've heard alot of the hybrid mod and like the idea of it...its got a pre85 block...wiring is a cluster funk...  :flamer:I've had the truck 2 months now and broke a connecting rod lastweek...the oil pan looks like a chip catch pan for a lathe or mill from the bearings... the crank is gouged about 3/8ths an inch if not more... piston skirt is broken....  :attention: how do i know if the block is a22r or 20r block? and is the block worth getting checked to be rebuilt?  :help: or should i look for a 22r block and stroke it with a cam i want a power gain while remaining reliable for a daily driver occasional offroad ripper... i just don't like down shifting to 2 or 3rd to pull a hill... also any clutch recommendations? if not the rebuild any suggestions for an Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde transplant? :bowdown: id like for it to pull up to a stop light and the evo next to me think im running a v8 after i spank the doors off his matchbox weedeater :driving:

zippo

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: 550
  • Male Posts: 1,556
  • Member since Nov '08
    • View Profile
    • oppiz.net
Re: new to me but old yota
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2014, 10:52:44 PM »
Bore size

20R = 88.5mm
22R = 92mm

You might also look at http://www.22reperformance.com/22RE_Performance_-_Identification.html
If you see it, its for sale.

Snowtoy

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 1403
  • Male Posts: 2,583
  • Member since Sep '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2014, 12:44:09 AM »
how do i know if the block is a22r or 20r block? and is the block worth getting checked to be rebuilt?
The block should be stamped on the drivers side, at least the '84 I just rebuilt was.  If it is a 22r block and it isn';t cracked or there is no unrepairable damage to the cylinders, it should be rebuildable.  If the crank can't be turned, you can buy new cranks with bearings for a couple of hundred and your core.

should i look for a 22r block and stroke it with a cam i want a power gain while remaining reliable for a daily driver occasional offroad ripper... i just don't like down shifting to 2 or 3rd to pull a hill... also any clutch recommendations? if not the rebuild any suggestions for an Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde transplant? :bowdown: id like for it to pull up to a stop light and the evo next to me think im running a v8 after i spank the doors off his matchbox weedeater :driving:

Generally speaking, a 22r series motor can pretty much only be built to about 145hp and still maintain its stock turn key reliability, while one built this way is an improvement, it isn't going to blow the doors off any evo at a light.  If you want a reliable "sleeper" you will have to do an engine swap.
'90 black X-cab mod'd 3.0, 33's/4.88's, rear ARB, custom bumpers, sliders, safari rack, etc.
'91 Blue X-cab 22re, 35's/5.29's,Truetrac front, ARB rear, dual cases, and custom Safari flatbed, bumper, interior.
The money pit '87 Supra resto/mod

mud37 [OP]

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Member since May '14
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2014, 01:25:40 PM »
ok so suggestions on the transplant? id like to keep most of the drive train i want to run dual tcases and i know that they make all kinds of adaptors for engines to bolt up to the drive line and keep it simple something carburated but light weight and not a gm product not a fan of gm at all... a guy at work suggested i small block it...he wants to sell me his 302 thats factory specs on a rebuild.... but i feel that would be alot of fab work to the frame to hold the motor... any suggestions on a diesel transplant? and if anyone has done one of these whats the price im looking at and how long did it take to get everything right? also my block is the pre84 block looks just like the pic of the first one... doesnt seem like the block is harmed but i feel i should get it checked for sure before i decide to rebuild it or not...

mud37 [OP]

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Member since May '14
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2014, 02:14:58 PM »
say i were to rebuild this thing whats a good place to get quality but not so expensive parts?

mud37 [OP]

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Member since May '14
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2014, 06:52:13 PM »
building a small block yoda now im getting a a 5 speed trans out of a 93 4 runner tomorrow morning found it on craigslist for $300 since my 81 4 speed wont work with a v8 due to the non removable bell housing now looking for a 302.... anyone near southwest mo got a 302 for less than 650 on a complete rebuild with an RV cam? found one on CL for 650 only thing missing is the carb dunno if the exhaust manifolds will work yet or not was told i need the stang manifolds and motor mounts... i think she will come together quite nicely

helipilot77

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: 1018
  • Male Posts: 1,728
  • Member since Jul '12
  • Seattle, WA
    • View Profile
    • My build thread
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2014, 04:13:35 PM »
I spent 2 years and $7000 doing my 1KZ-te turbo diesel swap. I like it mare than the 350 swap I did in my 85'. but that is more of a personal preference thing. A V8 swap will net you more HP with fewer $$$, but it is certainly no sleeper.
-1987 SR5 4runner, 1KZ-t turbo diesel with mech. pump
 & custom 3" S.S. dump pipe, R-151f transmission, marlin dual ultimate transfer cases w/ triple shifter, SAS, 35's https://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=98969.0
-1984 SR5 Tercel 4wd wagon bone stock - given to my nephew https://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=100547.0
-1:10 scale RC 4wd crawler w/yota axles, R2 2 speed enclosed dig tranny and 1st gen 4Runner body by BigBird
-My front axle service write-up http://board.marlincrawler.com/i

Snowtoy

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Sep '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2014, 12:13:59 AM »
say i were to rebuild this thing whats a good place to get quality but not so expensive parts?

If it is a 22r, http://www.engnbldr.com is pretty good with prices, http://www.22reperformance.com is another builder with fair prices.  Rockauto.com(you just have to filter through the cheap stuff) and partsdinasaur.com also has good prices.  I just rebuilt the bottom end of an '84 and it ran me $244 for parts(except water pump and gaskets), labor to turn the crank and rebuild/align the rods ran $275.  I had enough gaskets from other sets to put together a set, but figure about $120 for a quality gasket, and another $65-100+ to rebuild the head depending on what you need other than machining and pressure checking the head.
'90 black X-cab mod'd 3.0, 33's/4.88's, rear ARB, custom bumpers, sliders, safari rack, etc.
'91 Blue X-cab 22re, 35's/5.29's,Truetrac front, ARB rear, dual cases, and custom Safari flatbed, bumper, interior.

Snowtoy

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Sep '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2014, 01:01:58 AM »
building a small block yoda now im getting a a 5 speed trans out of a 93 4 runner tomorrow morning found it on craigslist for $300 since my 81 4 speed wont work with a v8 due to the non removable bell housing now looking for a 302.... anyone near southwest mo got a 302 for less than 650 on a complete rebuild with an RV cam? found one on CL for 650 only thing missing is the carb dunno if the exhaust manifolds will work yet or not was told i need the stang manifolds and motor mounts... i think she will come together quite nicely

Before accumulating anymore parts, you should do some more research on the v8 swaps, they seem to have a high rate of failure compared to the V6 or straight six swaps.  If Mustang parts are what you need, you might consider buying a cheep fox body Mustang, so you get everything you need in one lot.  It will save time/money by not having to source individual pieces, and often you can find donor cars for the cost of the an engine alone.

If you aren't dead set on a V8 or carb, you might consider the 3.4, 7mge or 7mgte(turbo) I6, or the 2jze I6.  These engines will put you in the 200-240hp range, they are Toyota engines.  The 7mgte can be bumped to about 300hp with just some intercooler/exhaust mods, 450hp with injector/MAS/ turbo upgrades/metal HG.  The 3.4 and 7mgte use an R series trans, while the other two use W series, however the 5spd(r series) trans you just bought will work with all of them.

If you wanted a real sleeper that would smoke just about anything you rolled up next to at a light, including most of the new Detroit muscle cars, I would swap in the 2jzgte I6.  The 2jzgte is good for 320hp stock. intake/chip mods bump it to 400hp, from there you are only limited to how deep you pockets are, members in the Supra community run mid 600's with stop and go traffic reliability.

mud37 [OP]

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Member since May '14
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2014, 06:03:22 PM »
I spent 2 years and $7000 doing my 1KZ-te turbo diesel swap. I like it mare than the 350 swap I did in my 85'. but that is more of a personal preference thing. A V8 swap will net you more HP with fewer $$$, but it is certainly no sleeper.

i like the idea of a diesel... im a diesel fanatic  actually... the smell of unburnt diesel fuel in the morning is better than coffee... i have two 7.3L... had an 03 5.9 cummins but wrecked it... bad winter storm.... idiot in a car slid and hit me... making me slide off the road and down a 6 ft embankment rolling 3 times...

ive done quite a bit of research on them and i was contemplating a straight 6 but i feel that the 81 just wont have the height unless i do a body lift and i feel it'd be to long... my ideal swap would be the cummins 4 bt due to the 6bt parts interchange... i know id have to do a 3 inch body lift if i did that... but i want readily available parts  finding some yoda parts are like finding a hair in a hay stack 302s are like finding hay in a hay stack... i really just dont want to richard with the wiring im pretty good at it but i dont want to spend the time on it...

i measured the bore on the block its a 20r and it needs a new crank a connecting rod and a piston... dont get me wrong id love to keep it all toyota and keep it super reliable... but in the midwest there just arent many "import sports cars" in salvage yards... biggest city close to me is springfield mo and its still tiny... you see more full sized trucks and old muscle cars then sports cars... out here... ill do some digging and see what i can find toyota donor motor wise in the area but i havent found much mainly trans and tcase combos that people pulled from wrecked or rolled runners or pick ups... most of the motors ive found are blown up... alot of farmers use yota truck to feed in the winter/spring months due to snow melting rapidly and rain making mud everywhere and toyotas floating threw the  fields and not rutting them up...

i havent got the motor yet but i do have the r150f trans and chain driven case and still have the stock 4speed and gear driven tcase im picking up a second gear driven tcase this weekend as my donor for the crawl box... and im ordering the v6 adaptor and the 23spline input and output this week for both tcases... the motor is my downfall... i need to make a decision and so far just for availability its the 302