Author Topic: Western WA People - Where to have spring perches replaced?  (Read 3691 times)

Plainview

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 175
  • Member since May '14
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
The front spring perches on my '84 are shot - they're rounded off a bit and inducing a reverse arc in the springs at the U-bolts.  I need to get new, flat perches welded onto that axle.

I don't have a welder or know how to weld.  Anyone in the Seattle area, or anywhere somewhat near it know a good shop that can replace the spring perches for me?

Thanks!
'84 Xtra Cab Project:
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=100651.new#new
Parts Wanted:

- Un-cracked dash pad (do they exist?)

jangelfire

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -1
  • Member since Jan '15
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Hmmmmmmmm.....

jangelfire

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -1
  • Member since Jan '15
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Perhaps new springs are the awnser.perches dont wear out unless..... Well i dunno

toyodaaddict

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 399
  • Male Posts: 1,145
  • Member since Sep '08
    • View Profile
Spring perches can absolutely break down and deform.   As far as shops go, I would recommend  Extreme Options, aka XO-fab in Enumclaw. You may be able to replace the housing cheaper than shop time though.
80 shortbed-22re,w56,Marlin 23 spline dual cases,HighAngle drivelines,RUF/63"chevy's,35''mtr's,30 spline Longfields, Allpro highsteer.87 rear axle,5.29 gears,rear spool,BudBuilt cm, marlin HD clutch,ramsey 8000 winch. 
     https://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=101882.0

blackdiamond

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1174
  • Male Posts: 5,058
  • Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
My shop work has been done at Bayview 4x4 in Bremerton, WA.  They rotated my rear axle for me to correct the driveline angles for duals.
1989 4Runner: Dual Ultimate (Inchworm front & Marlin 4.70 rear), Marlin Twin Stick, 1200-lb clutch, 4.88 R&P, Aussie Front, Detroit rear, 30-spline Longs, Long hub gears, ARP hub and knuckle studs & 35x12.50 Cooper STT PRO tires.  Marlin rear bumper & sliders.  FROR front bumper.  SAS with Alcan springs & Rancho 9000XL shocks.  Budbuilt Bolt-on traction bar.  Custom Interior Cage by Those Guys Rod and Customs.

Moab Tested & Rubicon Approved

Plainview [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since May '14
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Thanks for the suggestions, keep 'em coming if you have them!

It's definitely the perches.  I have brand new OME springs with 0 miles on them at this point and you can clearly see the reverse arc the perches are putting in them right across the perch itself.  I think this is one of the reasons the front end didn't come up as far as the rear when the springs were installed.  The 217K mile OE springs were so shot they had S-bends in them.  If I removed the springs I could lay a flat edge across the perch and I guarantee it wouldn't be touching at both ends.

As for replacing the housing, I'd rather not do that.  The current housing has all new seals and FJ rotors so I'd basically be throwing the seals away and would have to swap the rotors and most likely install a new seal kit plus the time it would take to track down and buy a housing.  I don't mind spending a few dollars more if the hassle factor is reduced to <drop truck off at shop pick up truck when work is done>.  I'm going to be working lots of overtime later this year and have an arm-length list of home improvement projects to tackle so time is more important than saving a few bucks at this point.
'84 Xtra Cab Project:
Parts Wanted:

Willard

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 1608
  • Male Posts: 627
  • Member since Dec '14
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
Do you currently have bump stops? I have never seen perches wear out before, but I haven't seen it all so it may be possible  :gap:. Do you have pics?
90'4runner......lots of goodies.

toyodaaddict

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 399
  • Male Posts: 1,145
  • Member since Sep '08
    • View Profile
If you haven't bought new perches yet, check out RockTactics. Their perches are very low profile and longer than stock. I have been really impressed with all there products so far and they are out of Seattle.
80 shortbed-22re,w56,Marlin 23 spline dual cases,HighAngle drivelines,RUF/63"chevy's,35''mtr's,30 spline Longfields, Allpro highsteer.87 rear axle,5.29 gears,rear spool,BudBuilt cm, marlin HD clutch,ramsey 8000 winch. 
     https://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=101882.0

Plainview [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since May '14
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Willard - I installed new, taller bump stops when I installed the new springs in the last couple of weeks.   Prior to that the truck was 100% stock suspension with 217K miles on it, including the stock bump stops.  Trust me, the perches are not flat.  I didn't realize it before I installed the new springs and you can kind of see the issue in one of the pictures I took of the new springs after installation (attached), but I'm not taking everything back apart right now to take a picture with a straight edge.  The driver's side perch is even worse but with everything installed now it's hard to get a good picture of it.

toyodaaddict - thanks for the recommendation!  I will look into those.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2015, 10:24:24 AM by Plainview »
'84 Xtra Cab Project:
Parts Wanted:

SqWADoosh

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 10966
  • Male Posts: 2,417
  • Member since Oct '14
    • View Profile
The front spring perches on my '84 are shot - they're rounded off a bit and inducing a reverse arc in the springs at the U-bolts.  I need to get new, flat perches welded onto that axle.

I don't have a welder or know how to weld.  Anyone in the Seattle area, or anywhere somewhat near it know a good shop that can replace the spring perches for me?

Thanks!

Give Cody a call at www.badlandbumpers.com He did my entire suspension and steering overhaul.

Willard

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Dec '14
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
Yep I see it.....wow for those being new springs there pretty flat? What size lift are those? My buddy had problems with his OME springs on his FJ and went thru 2 different sets before going with a diff spring. I know its clear that you perches are a problem, but how heavy is your rig? Especially in the front......It just looks like your springs have little up travel before going negative even with new perches......  :willynilly:

Plainview [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since May '14
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Thanks SqWADoosh - I'll definitely talk to them.

Willard - there are a few things going on there; first is that's the passenger side so that spring has less arch than the driver's side because the perch is taller due to the offset differential so the springs come as a left and right spring and the right spring has less arch.  Second, the damaged perch is taking some of the arch out of the spring, making them go negative across the perch.  Third, they are only supposed to give 2" lift.  The stock springs are basically flat (mine were so worn they were negative and had an "S" shape to them).  With these springs and the 5" shackles it lifted the front end by 4" from where it was.  I was expecting about 2.75" - 3" at most (2" spring lift + ~.75" shackle lift) so that tells you how worn the stock springs were.   I expect once the perches are replaced it will go up another 1/4" - 1/2" or so.  My truck shouldn't be any heavier than stock up front, probably even a few lbs. lighter since I removed the AIR pump and all its associated parts & plumbing as well as the EGR and all the other emissions stuff except the evap canisters.

Also, these are the heavy duty OME springs and I removed one leaf from each spring pack to soften them up.  That probably reduced the arch a little when loaded.

Should also note that actual lift over stock ride height is actually right about 3".  I lengthened the swaybar end links by 3" and the sway bar is almost flat. 
« Last Edit: May 31, 2015, 10:08:59 PM by Plainview »
'84 Xtra Cab Project:
Parts Wanted:

Willard

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Dec '14
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
Why buy HD springs just to soften them? Just a question......I don't like the whole diff arch in the springs to accommodate the diff housing. I would have just welded a spacer on there and got some all pro springs. My 82 had AP springs without a spacer or anything and it didn't have a height difference on either side. I am interested to see the diff it makes with new perches. I fully understand the surface area for the springs and it helps. I hope you get it corrected the way you want it  :biggthumpup: