Author Topic: has anyone done the 1jz engine swap to a first gen  (Read 3235 times)

crazymoritz97

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 298
  • Member since Jun '04
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
has anyone done the 1jz engine swap to a first gen
« on: Nov 17, 2013, 06:09:21 PM »
hey guys . i'm been looking in the a 22re or the new 4cly 2.7 . what about the 1jz engine ? i like to see some info on it ? but what's is good over . i have a first gen truck 4x4 short bed
Chris g Moritz

tyes

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -10
  • Male Posts: 238
  • Member since May '09
    • View Profile
I've researched this before and there is lots of info when doing this swap. You just need to search. You'll find a lot of info in yota tech in the swap sections. From my research, since I've thought about this swap before, it is a long in-line 6 motor and you will scrafice possible AC and possibly need a BL. But overall it has been done before and it does fit.
86 T4R V8 1UZ-Fe

BigMike

• Administrator
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 2205
  • Male Posts: 18,292
  • Member since Apr '02
  • 511:1 Club
    • View Profile
    • Bone-Stock Plane-Jane 1981 Shortbed Pickup
Make sure you consider what you need the extra power for. If you're looking for top end output then this is a good choice, but you will loose a considerable amount of bottom end torque by using a passenger car engine. I searched and searched for a 1JZ-GE dyno sheet and I can't find one to help illustrate this point... The good thing helping it build torque is that the engine is both inline and has two extra cylinders, but each cylinder has a 17.4mm shorter stroke than that of your 22R which robs it of a lot of torque ... and overall it's only 21cc larger (... 33.5cc smaller per cylinder and 23.5mm shorter stroke than the 3RZ!).

I do like small displacement, high revving engines however, just look at my daily driver. The 1JZ would be equivalent to a 1661cc 4cylinder which is just 18.5cc more per cylinder than my little 4A-GZE :D

EDIT: Wait, did we even get the 1JZ-GE in the states?? What did it come in?

Regards,
BigMike
« Last Edit: Nov 20, 2013, 08:31:17 AM by BigMike »
Check out our new Rock Crawling Videos!
2016 56-speed 580:1 Tacoma Rock Crawler   
1981 36-speed 511:1 3RZ-FE Rock Crawler
1987 6-speed Supercharged 4A-GZE MR2
Instagram: @SlowestTacoma
Things are only impossible until they are not.
"The worst of both worlds, the best of neither." -abnormaltoy
"An informed question. But difficult to answer. I am what you see." -Nanaki

Vang530

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 1
  • Member since May '12
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
the 1jz has never came to the us and no you cannot get it bar'd legally.
Oroville, CA

crazymoritz97 [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 298
  • Member since Jun '04
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
hey bigmike how much do i get with ur swap ? from 22r to the 3rz
Chris g Moritz

BigMike

• Administrator
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 2205
  • Male Posts: 18,292
  • Member since Apr '02
  • 511:1 Club
    • View Profile
    • Bone-Stock Plane-Jane 1981 Shortbed Pickup
3RZ-FE is +54 horsepower and +48 ft-lbs torque over the 22R. Also expect to make 5~7 MPG more. I make 20-21 highway MPG on 37" MTRs w/5.29s

There are better options for more power, such as a 3.4 Toy 6cyl (about +95 HP & +90 TQ) or a 4.3 GM 6cyl (about +60 HP & +100 TQ) but neither will net 20/21 MPG at 65/70 MPH on 37s.

It comes down to personal preferences so here are mine:
  • I prefer how inline 4cylinders lug down and idle while Crawling without stalling. I'm talking 200 to 300 RPM without stopping. You own a 22R so you know how good it is at this. The 3RZ is just as dependable under 500 RPM. Every 6cyl I've wheeled (only experienced V-arranged 6cyls) seems to cutout around 500 RPM but I am no 6cyl expert on this, it's just that every Toyota 4cyl I've Rock Crawled doesn't mind lugging waay down.
  • I prefer the lighter weight of a 4 cyl engine and transmission
  • I didn't have to upgrade to a heavier rated front suspension
  • I didn't have to upgrade to bigger brakes (optional but more advisable for a 6cyl swap)
  • I have enough torque but not so much that I am blowing up parts every weekend
  • 4cyl provides more free space under the hood for auxiliaries like on-board-air, welder, while retaining A/C, etc
  • Less heat generated so you don't have to run a larger radiator
  • Only one header instead of two, more free space encourages air flow
  • Lighter exhaust system
  • Cheaper tune-ups:
    • Fewer spark plugs/wires
    • Less engine oil
    • Less transmission gear oil
    • Half price valve jobs
    • Less injectors to get cleaned
    • Less expensive clutch kits
    • Aftermarket headers, header powder coating services are cheaper
    • et cetera...
  • 3RZ uses a timing chain instead of a timing belt like the 3.4 6cyl (heavier, nosier but more dependable)
  • Hmmmm.......
  • Tires will last longer (less weight, less likely to be doing burnouts at every green light)
  • Suspension will last longer
  • Motor and transfer case mounts will last longer
  • Less likely for the frame to develop cracks (big issue with 8cyl swaps)
  • The 3.4 is much taller than the 2.7, and will require hood modifications or a body lift
  • Easier to remove / reinstall engine - lighter, less things going on, less to disconnect/reconnect
  • Hmmmmmmmmm......................
  • Less things to go wrong when you're at 10,000 feet elevation in the middle of nowhere
  • If you are on an extreme side-hill angle then you won't have a bank of cylinders swimming in and cooking engine oil (V6 vs inline arrangement, however the RZ-family does have a slight tilt to them)
  • Less moving parts... Fewer things to wear out... Ok now I'm reaching pretty far

Downside is that the 50% power increase won't be the kind of blow-your-socks-off power that a 3.4 or 4.3 6cyl will provide. If you are "really" looking for more power then you will be disappointed with another 4cylinder unless its boosted.

Which brings me to the "Middle Ground" which would be to Supercharge the 3RZ but the smog legal electronic solutions available leave much to be desired. As do the associated costs of the S/C, higher grade fuel requirements and reduced fuel mileage. I was S/C but it never ran right so I sold it. I regret this. Next year I plan to start looking for another S/C and will go Mega or Micro-squirt and finally do it right with a dyno-tune.

Preference. Some can live with *having* to pull steep grades in 4th gear (= 2.7 owners with 37" tires) while others desire to stay in 5th to show off (= 3.4 owners with 37" tires). I discussed S/C'ing my 3RZ-FE again which means the following: When there is sand, mud, or snow I do wish I had just that little bit more torque. Fortunately for me I am not into sand or mud but I do enjoy snow. Others want more. They should go with a 6cyl :beerchug: and leave the how-did-you-do-that-so-smoothly finesse Rock Crawling ability to us 4cyl guys :king:

Regards,
BigMike
« Last Edit: Nov 20, 2013, 06:40:18 PM by BigMike »
Check out our new Rock Crawling Videos!
2016 56-speed 580:1 Tacoma Rock Crawler   
1981 36-speed 511:1 3RZ-FE Rock Crawler
1987 6-speed Supercharged 4A-GZE MR2
Instagram: @SlowestTacoma
Things are only impossible until they are not.
"The worst of both worlds, the best of neither." -abnormaltoy
"An informed question. But difficult to answer. I am what you see." -Nanaki