Author Topic: a340f swap, need some info  (Read 8795 times)

altron32

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 9
  • Member since Mar '13
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
a340f swap, need some info
« on: Jul 03, 2013, 10:33:01 PM »
i got the trans, 1 full tcase, trailgear adapter for trans, and doner trans still in truck for needed parts to put a340f in, what i need is more info/pics/measurements of how to install the reluctor wheel for the rear speed sensor, i have searched and searched but the only thing i have found is this http://www.4x4wire.com/toyota/tech/autocrawler/index.htm that marlin helped do but they are vague on what was done for the speed sensor, not many pics or measurements. and also they say something about a possible kit being made? did this ever happen or can one be made in house if asked? other then this one hurdle i think im ready to tackle this project after the summer.

thanks for any answers!

garrett

oh and this is going into my 93' with a 3.slow, and 35s sas.

R.DesJardin

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 680
  • Male Posts: 489
  • Member since Mar '08
    • View Profile
    • RADesigns Products LLC
Re: a340f swap, need some info
« Reply #1 on: Jul 04, 2013, 04:58:58 AM »
Not really sure what your up to? Are you trying to keep the speed sensor for the TCU or are you wanting the speedo to work? These are two different sensors, one is in the trans and the other is in the t-case. I run duals behind an A340f and all I did was bolt on Marlin adapters and buy a speedo extension cable which connected to the rear case just like stock. Marlin sells the adapter to allow electric speedos to work if needed.
There is a build thread here and on Pirate.
R.DesJardin
"If I didn't live in the middle of nowhere!"

2RZ-A340F-Duals-locked FR/RR-IROK's

altron32 [OP]

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Member since Mar '13
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Jul 04, 2013, 08:25:36 AM »
well i was under the impression that the speed sensor in the extension housing was still needed for the tcm, but in that case screw it, my truck has a electric speed sensor in the tcase ill just re-use in the gear drive tcase.

R.DesJardin

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Mar '08
    • View Profile
    • RADesigns Products LLC
« Reply #3 on: Jul 04, 2013, 09:10:44 AM »
well i was under the impression that the speed sensor in the extension housing was still needed for the tcm, but in that case screw it, my truck has a electric speed sensor in the tcase ill just re-use in the gear drive tcase.

Are you swapping in the entire A340F wiring harness from a donor vehicle, you'll need to, unless you are a wiring genius? Not sure on yours but the extension housing stayed in place on mine. Is this a 4wd trans or a 2wd trans? I'm not picking but this swap is pretty involved if you want full automatic shifting with the TCM and the truck had a manual trans in it before.
This is what I removed-

This is what I bolted the adapter to-

And this bolted up.
R.DesJardin

altron32 [OP]

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Member since Mar '13
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Jul 04, 2013, 09:25:54 AM »
so i have a complete a340f 4wd trans from a 97' 4runner minus the tcase. my truck already has a a340h in it. so my plan was to fallow this build http://www.4x4wire.com/toyota/tech/autocrawler/index.htm . or do i need to just run one of your manual shifter setups and be done with it?

R.DesJardin

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Mar '08
    • View Profile
    • RADesigns Products LLC
« Reply #5 on: Jul 04, 2013, 09:58:29 AM »
Following that article should be the way to go. I didn't know you already had the H model that's why I asked. It's sometimes nice to be able to drive and not have to worry about shifting. I didn't have that option since mine all went in a '82 5spd truck. Just trying to keep you from getting into something you didn't expect. Looks like you've done you homework. Now back to getting my cable triples installed.
R.DesJardin

lucky7

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 303
  • Male Posts: 778
  • Member since Sep '07
  • CAN'T POLISH A TURD!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Jul 04, 2013, 06:57:52 PM »
Not sure what ur asking its basically 3 wires from the h I just pulled mine out..

altron32 [OP]

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Member since Mar '13
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Jul 04, 2013, 10:47:50 PM »
Not sure what ur asking its basically 3 wires from the h I just pulled mine out..

what I got going on is everything swaps over to the F trans but the speed sensor for tcm shift control, they are different sensors, in order to use the old sensor in the new extension housing it must be modified to fit. and also swap out the reluctor ring on the output shaft of the trans.

lucky7

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 303
  • Male Posts: 778
  • Member since Sep '07
  • CAN'T POLISH A TURD!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Jul 05, 2013, 06:32:46 AM »
If you can find a housing from a t100 it's the same I think it's a 95 that's what I have an it's all the same

Ritchie

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 539
  • Male Posts: 267
  • Member since May '13
  • Ritchie
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Jul 12, 2013, 05:23:07 PM »
Not really sure what your up to? Are you trying to keep the speed sensor for the TCU or are you wanting the speedo to work? These are two different sensors, one is in the trans and the other is in the t-case. I run duals behind an A340f and all I did was bolt on Marlin adapters and buy a speedo extension cable which connected to the rear case just like stock. Marlin sells the adapter to allow electric speedos to work if needed.
There is a build thread here and on Pirate.

I am currently gathering parts for the A340F conversion from the A340E in my 2003 Reg cab stepside Pre runner.  So far, I am awaiting shipment on the trans minus bell housing and torque converter.  I will be adding this:  http://www.marlincrawler.com/transfer-case/line-ups/single/gear-drive-left-hand-output-lefty

I have the 2.7 motor and my question is, will I need a different flex plate & starter?

Thanks.
'03 Step side Pre-runner, F/R 4WU 3 linked, F/R Diamond axles, F/R ARB's w/5.29's, F/R Fox 12" CO's, ShrockWorks front bumper, self made rear bumper, WARN M8000S w/ remote, 4.7 Inchworm Lefty, MC sliders that hold air & a bunch of other stuff.

R.DesJardin

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Mar '08
    • View Profile
    • RADesigns Products LLC
« Reply #10 on: Jul 12, 2013, 07:38:11 PM »
I am currently gathering parts for the A340F conversion from the A340E in my 2003 Reg cab stepside Pre runner.  So far, I am awaiting shipment on the trans minus bell housing and torque converter.  I will be adding this:  http://www.marlincrawler.com/transfer-case/line-ups/single/gear-drive-left-hand-output-lefty

I have the 2.7 motor and my question is, will I need a different flex plate & starter?

Thanks.

If the A340F is also from a 2.7 then you should have all you need. I actually used a 3RZ donor trans for the bell housing and flex plate for my swap, I originally had a 22RE trans in my truck that I was swapping the 2RZ into.
R.DesJardin

Ritchie

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 539
  • Male Posts: 267
  • Member since May '13
  • Ritchie
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Jul 13, 2013, 05:06:56 AM »
If the A340F is also from a 2.7 then you should have all you need. I actually used a 3RZ donor trans for the bell housing and flex plate for my swap, I originally had a 22RE trans in my truck that I was swapping the 2RZ into.

Thanks for the reply.
I received my parts this morning.  Does this look like the A340F to anyone?  The tail shaft appears too long.

Later.
« Last Edit: Jul 13, 2013, 04:22:52 PM by Ritchie »
'03 Step side Pre-runner, F/R 4WU 3 linked, F/R Diamond axles, F/R ARB's w/5.29's, F/R Fox 12" CO's, ShrockWorks front bumper, self made rear bumper, WARN M8000S w/ remote, 4.7 Inchworm Lefty, MC sliders that hold air & a bunch of other stuff.

Xxnvrsmrxx

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Member since Jun '12
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Aug 11, 2013, 11:33:33 PM »
I am on the tail end of doing this swap using that same tech page you are refering to. I finally was able to drive it for the first time two days ago. Some background info first; my truck is an '87 xtra cab pickup with a 22re, the stock tranny/transfer is the a340h, 4" suspension lift 3" body lift, 5.29 gears front and rear.

As far as the info on the auto crawler page it is a fantastic write-up but it's dated, and missing some info. For instance, in my case I was using a doner tranny from a 1997 4runner with a v6. Same basic tranny but the bellhousing is different and so is the torque converter. I found out that it is still possible to do you only have to change the tranny input shaft so that you have the correct number of splines for the TC (I will try and get some pics up tomorrow).

He also says to change the solenoids which is not necessary unless the ones in the doner tranny are bad. They use the same solenoids.

Yes you do need it if you want the TCU/ECT to do the shifting. If you want to manually shift it then no you do not. The rear one is for the Speedometer/odometer only. The one in the extension housing on the driver's side with two wires/terminals is for the TCU/ECT. Ask me how I know...I said the same thing "screw it, I have two" but it doesn't work like that.
« Last Edit: Aug 13, 2013, 06:31:44 PM by Xxnvrsmrxx »

R.DesJardin

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Mar '08
    • View Profile
    • RADesigns Products LLC
« Reply #13 on: Aug 18, 2013, 07:03:10 AM »
Notes: I used the 3VZ converter to do my RZ swap, it had the right spline count for the RE trans and the right bolt pattern for the RZ flex plate.
VZ flex plate bolts are larger diameter than the R series, but the same as the RZ's.
This should be obvious but worth mentioning since I see it asked quite a bit. The RE, RZ, VZ and UZ all use different A340  bell housings and have cast in letters designating which, the R/RE has only a R.
R.DesJardin

altron32 [OP]

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Member since Mar '13
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sep 26, 2013, 11:47:16 PM »
everything is ready now for my swap, just need this extension housing machined for the speed sensor "cough" BIGMIKE "cough"