Author Topic: 89 22re oil pressure gauge  (Read 6747 times)

strateshooter1

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since Jan '12
    • View Profile
89 22re oil pressure gauge
« on: Jan 14, 2012, 11:33:48 PM »
I swapped engines in my 89 pickup, has the 22re.  (cam broke in half in old engine, 190k +)  The oil pressure guage was working fine before the swap, now it's not.  I forgot to change the sender, old engine was a switch for an idiot light.  Changed the sender, still no workee.  I grounded out the wire to the sender and gauge fully deflected.  So I bought a new sender.  Installed the new sender and the gauge still doesn't work.  I traced the wiring all the way back to the gauge making sure it was in the same place in the connectors and then pulled the guage cluster out, or combination meter, as Toyota calls it.  Check the printed circuits on the cluster, voltage and ground to guage at cluster, I hooked up jumpers wires directly to the guage on the cluster from the battery and the gauge deflected fully.  I then hooked up jumpers directly to the guage from the battery and the sending unit and nothing happens at all with the truck running.  I know I have oil pressure, no question there.  I have checked resistance on the sender with regulated air hooked up to the pressure sender, both old and new sender act the same, I dont' think it's the sender.  Any ideas????  Seems like the gauge is bad to me, but it sure is odd that it would have went bad during an engine swap.  Anybody have this problem before or has anyone had an oil pressure gauge fail on them?  It looks like I can probably get the gauge out of the cluster, but I haven't checked to see if Toyota sells the gauge separately from the cluster.  Otherwise I'll probably go with an aftermarket gauge.  Thanks for the time.

strateshooter1 [OP]

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Member since Jan '12
    • View Profile
Re: 89 22re oil pressure gauge
« Reply #1 on: Jan 14, 2012, 11:37:09 PM »
Clarification,  The donor engine was out of another 89 toyota of mine with 80K miles.  It had an oil pressure switch with an idiot light.  The truck I'm driving now has the guage in it and not an idiot light.

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 730
  • Male Posts: 13,860
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
« Reply #2 on: Jan 15, 2012, 01:57:29 AM »
I think you answered your own question without knowing it, idiot light senders and gauges don't like each other and usually burn each other out.
The Ghost-Rider/Ghost Runner

No matter how far you fall, the ground will always catch you

UndefinedTaco

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -4
  • Member since Aug '11
  • Built by trial and mostly error
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Jan 17, 2012, 08:14:01 AM »
just like when you put in a tach gauge in a truck that came with a non-tach gauge...if you don't change the sender, it burns it out and sometimes burns the cluster out too.
happened to me in my 99 taco..
83' Pickup "ShitBox" - more parts
92' Pickup "Doomed" - some parts

dirtybird

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 3
  • Male Posts: 166
  • Member since Aug '11
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Jan 18, 2012, 03:43:08 PM »
What they said is probably what happened. I had the same problem only difference is I never hooked it up to a dummy light sender. What I did was when I took the cluster out to clean it and replace the bulbs I put spare bulbs in it to fill all the open option holes that are left on the rear of the cluster thinking it would keep dirt out and found out this causes a circuit to complete and my oil pressure and coolant temp wouldn't work. So I removed those bulbs and now they work fine

strateshooter1 [OP]

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Member since Jan '12
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Jan 29, 2012, 03:12:36 AM »
Thanks for the input fellas...I appreciate it.  Have a good one

torynich

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Member since Aug '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sep 17, 2013, 09:47:33 AM »
One question, if you hooked up the sender for the idiot light to a gauge cluster that has a oil pressure gauge, and it fried the gauge, is it fixable or does it have to be replaced?