Author Topic: truninon/knuckle bearing  (Read 1731 times)

RyenMiller408

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since Jul '13
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
truninon/knuckle bearing
« on: Jul 17, 2013, 03:40:55 PM »
i have a 81 pickup and im going to replace the knuckle bearings. when i got it it had some no name bearings in it.. i wanted to put the oem or better ones in there. does anyone know the part numbers for the oem bearing or a heavy duty version. thanks.

OOPS

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 1304
  • Male Posts: 2,561
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
Re: truninon/knuckle bearing
« Reply #1 on: Jul 17, 2013, 04:38:25 PM »
Do you have high-steer? Whose arms?

If it is stock, no high-steer, buy the rebuild kit from Marlin. It comes with everything you will need, including new, strong bearings.

If you have high-steer and the arms are not TG's get the 25mm bearing kit, if you have TG's high-steer they have to be machined for the trunion pins. TG's are .750 while most others are 1.0.
David & Theresa Fritzsche, 1990 Ex-Cab with a few mods!!!!!!!!! Roseville, CA Sobriety =Serenity

RyenMiller408 [OP]

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Member since Jul '13
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Jul 17, 2013, 05:04:42 PM »
well i got it with high steer, i think its a TG kit, it has TG springs and TG knuckle bearings, tg axle truss and armor., i already ordered the knuckle sandwich from tg and they sent the same no name , im assuming chinese bearings i already had in it, so i wasnt sure if those would be strong enough, im on 38" swampers. if anyone had just the stock oem bearing number i could probably go to a bearing place. also i heard theres a heavy duty timken bearing instead.

so if this is a TG steering arm then i have to run TG bearings? where can i measure the steering arms?

i was going to have the knuckles and arms machined for 9/16 studs and cone washers. can i also machine it to fit oem bearings?

im still new and learning , i know this is a marlin board but thanks for the help.

NorCalPR

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 2
  • Male Posts: 223
  • Member since Dec '08
  • NorCal TTORA Prez
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #3 on: Jul 17, 2013, 05:56:50 PM »
You can run Any stock bearing in there. The pin that goes into the bearing is the same. The pin that goes into the ARM however, is smaller on the TG's than the rest, and are known to break right there. In true TG fashion, they did not solve this problem when they went to the Trunnion Eliminators.

You will have trunnion issues with any brand bearing you go. It seems the Timkens and Koyo's seem to hold up the best. The only real solution is the 25mm upgrade.
"W6FTW"

OOPS

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 1304
  • Male Posts: 2,561
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Jul 17, 2013, 07:37:21 PM »
I would not run the TG no name bearings, I had an upper and lower break on me and it screwed up a 30-spline Long, and this happened on the street.

I called TG and their answer was "oh sorry". Next time I saw Matt, I gave him an ear full!!!!!
David & Theresa Fritzsche, 1990 Ex-Cab with a few mods!!!!!!!!! Roseville, CA Sobriety =Serenity

RyenMiller408 [OP]

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Member since Jul '13
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Jul 24, 2013, 01:36:45 PM »
well, i just got the heavy duty timkens from davez so ill start putting it back together.