Author Topic: Shifter popping out of first gear!  (Read 3805 times)

Evrgrnmtnman

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since Dec '04
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Shifter popping out of first gear!
« on: Jun 08, 2013, 04:58:31 PM »
Okay, some history first on my 88 Pickup 22re/w56.. I had the transmission totally rebuilt by a reputable toyotat mechanic 47K ago, spending $1,600.00. Few months ago it started poping out of first gear at low speeds or slowing down, now it will rarely pop out of 4th gear, but not much.
I have replaced the shifter bushing and seat, but that did not fix the problem. There is no grinding no noise, ride and drives good going down the road. When my hand is on the shifter and I'm slowing or torqueing down I can feel the shifter wanting to pop out. What am I missing or was this just a lousy rebuild?
Thanks?
CJ

daniresch

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 930
  • Male Posts: 761
  • Member since Apr '11
    • View Profile
Re: Shifter popping out of first gear!
« Reply #1 on: Jun 08, 2013, 07:20:21 PM »
Sounds like synchros are wearing out. 1st and 4th are only going to get worse. pretty soon you'll have to hold it in first gear at low speed and at slowing down all the time. and 4th gear you will loose completely. was there any warranty on the work done?
1988 Blue Std Cab: SAS, Longs, HP/ARB/5.29 Front, ARB/5.29 Rear, Marlin Dual Ultimate w/ 23 Spline MC07XD-R10, Marlin 30 Spline Front & Rear Output Shafts, Dave's Triple shifter, FROR crossmember, Bilstein 12" f+r, RUF w/ 63s, 7in bob, 40x13.5x17 MTR's on Racelines Monster Beadlocks 17x9.5

build: http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=80954.510

Evrgrnmtnman [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Dec '04
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Jun 08, 2013, 08:00:35 PM »
Sounds like synchros are wearing out. 1st and 4th are only going to get worse. pretty soon you'll have to hold it in first gear at low speed and at slowing down all the time. and 4th gear you will loose completely. was there any warranty on the work done?

The warranty was only a 4k or 3 month.....not good for someone that is in our 4x4 club.......he wants $350 just to take it down and look at it........should have bought a Marlin like I was going too........live and learn

emsvitil

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 7571
  • Male Posts: 3,561
  • Member since May '07
    • View Profile
    • emsvitil's album
    • Buy me a soda
« Reply #3 on: Jun 09, 2013, 12:48:32 AM »
You can try replacing the detent springs for the shifter.
Ed
SoCal
86 SR5 XtraCab
22RE  W56B
31x10.50R15

Evrgrnmtnman [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Dec '04
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Jun 10, 2013, 02:18:02 PM »
You can try replacing the detent springs for the shifter.

Detent Springs??? More info please?

BigMike

• Administrator
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 2243
  • Male Posts: 18,292
  • Member since Apr '02
  • 511:1 Club
    • View Profile
    • Bone-Stock Plane-Jane 1981 Shortbed Pickup
« Reply #5 on: Jun 10, 2013, 05:43:10 PM »
Detent Springs??? More info please?

Clicky: http://www.marlincrawler.com/hardware-tools/hardware/heavy-duty-shift-spring

EDIT: Sorry just read the opening post. The spring above is for a transfer case, but the same applies.

Popping out of first gear is most likely the sign of a worn out center bearing retainer plate. I don't believe the retainer is a serviceable item and therefore I think most rebuild shops just slap it on and reinstall it without shimming or replacing it with a heavier duty unit (like we would since we manufacture them). It could also be a worn shift hub or a wasted counter shaft bearing but you'd certainly have hoped those to have been properly inspected & serviced by a rebuilder. None of these can be fixed with external repairs such as our HD seat/socket and HD springs. They can help, but are more like a band-aid for a problem that will only get worse.

Have you checked for anything more obvious such as interference between the shifter and the boot, or the boot and the cab? How about a broken motor or transfer case mount that is allowing the drive train to rock so much that it pushes the shifter up against the boot or body thereby popping it out of gear? I've also seen a rusted rear drive line slip joint cause a transmission to pop out of gear by pushing or pulling the drivetrain forward or rearward based on power or coast conditions. I've also seen a broken shift handle spring, the spring that is concentric with the handle and preloads the handle ball into the transmission seat. Without this the handle could flop around and provide means for the transmission to come out of gear. How about a 3" or 4" body lift placing the bend of the handle at an unnatural position too close to the interior boot and/or body.

When you say you've replaced the seat and socket, were these just OEM pieces or our Heavy Duty ones? (see here)

The first thing I'd do it remove your interior boot so all you see is the shift handle and its small shift handle base boot (keep the base boot on so ya won't have gear oil splashing all over the place). Then watch the handle closely to see what is causing it to pop out: Is the handle moving directly into the body? Does it no longer pop out with the interior boot removed? Is the transmission itself moving all over the place and causing the handle to jam up against the body?

Good luck!
BigMike
« Last Edit: Jun 10, 2013, 05:59:34 PM by BigMike »
Check out our new Rock Crawling Videos!
2016 56-speed 580:1 Tacoma Rock Crawler   
1981 36-speed 511:1 3RZ-FE Rock Crawler
1987 6-speed Supercharged 4A-GZE MR2
Instagram: @SlowestTacoma
Things are only impossible until they are not.
"The worst of both worlds, the best of neither." -abnormaltoy
"An informed question. But difficult to answer. I am what you see." -Nanaki

Evrgrnmtnman [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Dec '04
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Jun 10, 2013, 08:40:26 PM »
Mike,
Thanks for that information I'll try all this. I replaced the bushing and seat from parts I got at a Toyota Dealership...This all started after a very cold winter night here in the mtns of Colorado, the next morning I was having a hard time getting it out of gear that I had left it in overnight. Maybe I forced something to break doing that?
Cj

Wainiha

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 743
  • Male Posts: 1,170
  • Member since Jan '12
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Jun 11, 2013, 12:10:51 AM »
Regarding syncros as daniresch suggested...... Has anyone ever heard that GL5 gear has sulfur in it for lubrication properties? 

If it contacts water the sulfur will turn to sulfuric acid and eat the brass syncros.

Read this on TTORA.  Teryx started a thread discussing gear oils.  The thought was Redline MT90, a GL4(no sulfur) was the way to go.

I bought in, and that is what I run in the tranny.

2000 3.4L xtra-cab Tacoma.
Icon C/Os
Marlin 1200lb. clutch
Marlin short shifter
FLOODED...GONE

2005 4.0L xtra-cab Tacoma
King Resi C/Os and Total Chaos UCAs
Waiting on Marlin for the RA60 Short throw shifter...Hint Hint
FLOODED...GONE

2012 4.0L xtra-cab 4x4 Tacoma
Automatic...Don't shoot...
 King resi C/O
and Total Chaos UCAs

^ Who let Wainiha into the mainland?? :yikes: - Big Mike

emsvitil

• Member since May '07
    • View Profile
    • emsvitil's album
    • Buy me a soda
« Reply #8 on: Jun 11, 2013, 01:11:27 AM »

Popping out of first gear is most likely the sign of a worn out center bearing retainer plate. I don't believe the retainer is a serviceable item and therefore I think most rebuild shops just slap it on and reinstall it without shimming or replacing it with a heavier duty unit (like we would since we manufacture them). It could also be a worn shift hub or a wasted counter shaft bearing but you'd certainly have hoped those to have been properly inspected & serviced by a rebuilder. None of these can be fixed with external repairs such as our HD seat/socket and HD springs. They can help, but are more like a band-aid for a problem that will only get worse.

The stock center bearing retaining plate on a W56 should be fine.   My W56b was a nice machined iron plate...........
Ed
SoCal
86 SR5 XtraCab
22RE  W56B
31x10.50R15

BigMike

• Administrator
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 2243
  • Male Posts: 18,292
  • Member since Apr '02
  • 511:1 Club
    • View Profile
    • Bone-Stock Plane-Jane 1981 Shortbed Pickup
« Reply #9 on: Jun 11, 2013, 09:19:38 AM »
The stock center bearing retaining plate on a W56 should be fine.   My W56b was a nice machined iron plate...........
I will wager to say that every single W56 and W59 that has come through our doors has had a worn our center bearing retainer plate. We mic and immediately discard any piece that fails inspection. It's this very reason which prompted us to manufacture our own plates (see here and here) but we haven't released a W-series plate yet but do have plans to eventually.

Part of the problem is with the main and counter shaft bearings and is why Toyota redesigned the bearings in the later model W59 Tacoma transmissions with a higher axial load rating. Needless to say the Maximum Capacity bearings we use in our Heavy Duty rebuilds far exceed the axial rating of even the upgraded W59 bearings. As the bearing wears it allows more lateral movement.

The other part and larger contributor to the problem is with the center plate wearing out. As the bearings push into the retainer plate for many, many miles, the plate begins to bow and looses contact with the outer race of both bearings (main & counter shafts). Once the plate bows and a gap forms between it and the bearing race, the issue gets worse exponentially with mileage to the point that the main shaft moves laterally in the case. Because the shift forks are mounted to and fixed in place with the case, what happens is the shaft moves without the shift fork and the shaft itself positions the shift collar away from its mated gear thus "popping" it out of gear.

One of the most time consuming facets of our transmission rebuilds revolves around the center bearing retainer plate and the modifications we do to accommodate our stronger bearings. A great deal of focus is done here and is a major contributor to why our transmissions last so long. In my opinion if Cj's rebuilder simply slapped the worn out center plate back in place 47k miles ago without performing any supporting modifications to reduce or as we do eliminate free-play, then I believe this would be a very plausible cause to his shifting issues he is experiencing today.

Of course this isn't to say that even a pristine center bearing plate can't last 47k miles as we know stock original units can go 200k+ with only minor caveats. Maybe his plate had a lot of previous wear? Hopefully, however, it is something external like the interior boot bunching up between the shift handle and the body. :hyper:

Regards,
BigMike
« Last Edit: Jun 11, 2013, 09:26:06 AM by BigMike »
Check out our new Rock Crawling Videos!
2016 56-speed 580:1 Tacoma Rock Crawler   
1981 36-speed 511:1 3RZ-FE Rock Crawler
1987 6-speed Supercharged 4A-GZE MR2
Instagram: @SlowestTacoma
Things are only impossible until they are not.
"The worst of both worlds, the best of neither." -abnormaltoy
"An informed question. But difficult to answer. I am what you see." -Nanaki

emsvitil

• Member since May '07
    • View Profile
    • emsvitil's album
    • Buy me a soda
« Reply #10 on: Jun 11, 2013, 04:00:19 PM »
I will wager to say that every single W56 and W59 that has come through our doors has had a worn our center bearing retainer plate. We mic and immediately discard any piece that fails inspection. It's this very reason which prompted us to manufacture our own plates (see here and here) but we haven't released a W-series plate yet but do have plans to eventually.

Interesting, my center plate didn't show any signs of wear when I rebuilt my transmission at 160k miles.   

The bearings were definitely worn out.

BTW, I used your HD W56b kit............

Ed
SoCal
86 SR5 XtraCab
22RE  W56B
31x10.50R15