Author Topic: 22r to 5VZ  (Read 1749 times)

PLyota84

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 1
  • Male Posts: 21
  • Member since Feb '11
    • View Profile
22r to 5VZ
« on: Nov 30, 2012, 04:22:46 PM »
Long story short, I blew up my 22R driving my rig 800 miles back to skool in Arcata from San Diego. So instead of rebuilding the little 4 banger now and swapping it out in the future i figure its time to bite the bullet.

I found a rolled 2001 4runner v6 4x4 5 speed as a a donor (what more could i ask for right?). my plan is to swap as much from the 4runner as possible to avoid wiring confusion(i have NO previous experience) Now my question to all the engine gurus out there is what parts will i need to buy aftermarket or fab to complete this swap that i wont be able to pull off the donor truck?(tranny mounts, crossmember,driveshafts, etc...) Is there anything major  i should be aware of before jumping into this conversion? and am i biting off more than i can chew by doing this swap?

I am willing to put in the work and hours to get it done just want to make sure i dont get halfway done only to have a major speed bump get in the way. I am a college student, so budget is tight and this is all depending on if i can get help from the local 4x4 shop as i have No fab tools up here yet.
Heres the beast in question
STOLEN!!! 84 SR5 XtraCab, 22r, stock cases:(, 5.29s ARB F&R HP/V6, 35" MTRs w/ Kevlar, 15x8 black steelies, Caged and Armored

tgmaul88

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 30
  • Male Posts: 985
  • Member since Feb '12
  • Im still alive
    • View Profile
Re: 22r to 5VZ
« Reply #1 on: Nov 30, 2012, 07:44:42 PM »
dude Sweet Rig!!!!!!!!!! freakin awesome!  yeah thats to nice to be half way into a swap and not be able to get it done, there are some heavy duty build threads on pirate but a lot here that know the info

H8PVMNT

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 452
  • Male Posts: 3,554
  • Member since May '07
  • I'LL NEVER MAKE IT...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Nov 30, 2012, 09:28:59 PM »
I would buy tools...

I did a 3RZ swap in an '89 4runner and basically used the most of the 3RZ harness, guages, column etc and spliced in the wireing to the rear.  If I were you I would just pull as much of the doner vehicle as you possibly can.  Some guys even use the late model dash.  After everything I probably spent just under $2,000 on my swap including rebuilding the 3RZ. Most of that was the little bits and pieces.
“I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth.”
– Steve McQueen

"Except for maybe Seattle."  -H8PVMNT

"I plan to hit 300k in this truck"  :)bestgen4runner

"I'm jealous of your shop. It has concrete and doesn't smell like pickles like the old shop  "  300K

jrock

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 77
  • Male Posts: 3,395
  • Member since Oct '06
  • Oodelally
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Dec 01, 2012, 10:38:52 AM »
:eye: Clean truck. Heads up, the 5vz has a tall intake so youll need a body lift or a hood scoop. Im not sure how low you can position the motor.

PLyota84 [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Feb '11
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Dec 01, 2012, 06:05:53 PM »
I would like to pull the whole dash but the way i built my cage, its a little tight around the dash... Im just hoping to be able to get the new instrument cluster in. As far as hood clearances go, im not afraid to start cutting sheet metal and throw some kind of custom hood scoop in there. I cant body lift this rig as it would put the cage even closer to my head...
STOLEN!!! 84 SR5 XtraCab, 22r, stock cases:(, 5.29s ARB F&R HP/V6, 35" MTRs w/ Kevlar, 15x8 black steelies, Caged and Armored

toyyota

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 5
  • Member since Apr '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Dec 01, 2012, 07:36:26 PM »
Just a heads up, Smog laws in Calif. are tuff. I think its worth the time to check with local smog referee before you go too far. People do this swap all the time, and when your done you wont look back. (tip...make new engine mounts on the frame, so you can clear ALT. on driver side and exhaust manifold on the passenger side.) An added bonus to making new frame mounts is you dont have to cut a hole in your hood because you can lower the engine.

PLyota84 [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Feb '11
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Dec 09, 2012, 05:10:03 PM »
As eager as i was to pull off this swap, the project was dead before it ever left the ground... Donor turned out to be a dud, the whole truck was full of water and in worse shape than i was told.
 :thumbdown:
Looks like my 22R will see life again with a modest rebuild to keep the truck running and provide a reliable starting point for my future buggy plans:smokin:.....

as for CA nazi smog laws knowing the right people up here in humboldt county can help with that problem. I still plan to swap a different motor into this rig but need to have a vehicle to wheel asap so that will be put on the back burner.