Author Topic: arb ?????????????  (Read 1834 times)

marleyoffroad

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 2
  • Male Posts: 115
  • Member since Dec '04
    • View Profile
arb ?????????????
« on: Mar 08, 2005, 10:41:30 PM »
anyone know if humidity and moisture are factors in running arb 3rds. ive talk to so people locally and they told me that it wasnt a good choice for reliability. if anyones anything about this hook me up with your experience.and where your from. i am from guam. theres basicly on to seasons on guam. rainy season and summer.and even during rainy season its still hot.
95 toy,marlin sas,5.29aussie locker(f)/5.29detriot(r),30 spline longs/4140 superior axle (r),custom 6" alcan spring(f),dual triangulated 4link(r),hysteer,68"diamond axles,bilstein 7100s at all 4 corners, duel ultimate,fror x-member,

JackKnife

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 94
  • Male Posts: 20
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
Re: arb ?????????????
« Reply #1 on: Mar 09, 2005, 04:44:09 AM »
I live in the desert, so I don't know what moisture is. :dunno:  However, I could throw a few thoughts at you.

Running a compressor will pull moisture from the air.  But, the ARB compressor only needs to run for a very short interval to build up enough pressure.  So, very little moisture should be introduced into the system.  When the locker is disengaged, the pressure is vented to the outside and moisture will tend to leave with it.

If I really had a concern, I would put in a water separator and oiler like one would use with air tools.

fritz

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 369
  • Member since Nov '04
  • snow Crawlin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Mar 09, 2005, 08:51:32 AM »
i would go with a factory locker high pinon diff. you can order them from marlin or a toyota dealer, or you might be able to pull one off a landcruser down there. not much more $ than an arb, and it seems to me, a lot less to go wrong, especially with a cable actuater. i would be a little nervous of deep water crossings, whitch i'm sure you have alot of, with the electric actuated factory locker. with a high pinon , you also get more clearence on the 3rd member and better driveline angle and clearance. just some thoughts. fritz   

BLUCRUZ

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 241
  • Male Posts: 470
  • Member since Mar '04
  • CA4WD LIFE MEMBER
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Mar 09, 2005, 09:58:40 AM »
There is nothing wrong with an arb as long they are set up correctly and you don't put massive ammounts of air pressure to them. I beleive the arb compressor turns on at 85 and off at 105psi. But the arb itself will actuate and hold with as little as 30 to 40 or so psi. I would use the least amount of pressure possible to do the job and prolong the life of the o-rings. Constant bashing of 85-105 psi just puts unnecessary strain on the o-rings IMO. Make sure your axle housing stays clean too. Make sure your breather is up where it can't suck in water. Or go e-locker high pinion...whatever :twocents:
72 FJ40. 350 Multiport EFI, turbo 400, ORION T-case, 35 Procomp's  disk brakes front & rear, ARB's F&R and an onboard shower for the ladies!
86 sr-5 4runner SAS conversion. E-lockers F&R, 5.29's 4.7 Marlin case.

BigMike

• Administrator
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 2159
  • Male Posts: 18,292
  • Member since Apr '02
  • 511:1 Club
    • View Profile
    • Bone-Stock Plane-Jane 1981 Shortbed Pickup
« Reply #4 on: Mar 09, 2005, 10:35:24 AM »
I've seen so many ARBs stop working in the snow. Go Electric, its the only way
Check out our new Rock Crawling Videos!
2016 56-speed 580:1 Tacoma Rock Crawler   
1981 36-speed 511:1 3RZ-FE Rock Crawler
1987 6-speed Supercharged 4A-GZE MR2
Instagram: @SlowestTacoma
Things are only impossible until they are not.
"The worst of both worlds, the best of neither." -abnormaltoy
"An informed question. But difficult to answer. I am what you see." -Nanaki

robinhood4x4

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -180
  • Member since Jun '04
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Mar 09, 2005, 11:41:40 AM »
From researching this, everything I've read said it's all about the installation.  If it's been installed right nothing goes wrong.  I've only had mine arbs for about 6 months now, but everything seems to be working fine.
Quote from: cruzila
Well, if the ideal of excluding the lesser equipped (stock or otherwise) is accepted... there is no fundamental difference between that and a Sierra CLub ideal of exclusion. If we cannot embrace the 4wheel users as a whole. We are not fighting for access. I cannot be that shortsighted

marleyoffroad [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 2
  • Male Posts: 115
  • Member since Dec '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Mar 09, 2005, 10:31:38 PM »
thanks for the advice. i guess i will have to see for my self. i havent had anyone come out with the problems listed.
95 toy,marlin sas,5.29aussie locker(f)/5.29detriot(r),30 spline longs/4140 superior axle (r),custom 6" alcan spring(f),dual triangulated 4link(r),hysteer,68"diamond axles,bilstein 7100s at all 4 corners, duel ultimate,fror x-member,

BLUCRUZ

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 241
  • Male Posts: 470
  • Member since Mar '04
  • CA4WD LIFE MEMBER
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Mar 10, 2005, 05:57:45 AM »
Humidity & Moisture in the air will not effect the arb. If your Differential is full of water that's anothe story. Good instalation and a water proof housing= :thumbs:
72 FJ40. 350 Multiport EFI, turbo 400, ORION T-case, 35 Procomp's  disk brakes front & rear, ARB's F&R and an onboard shower for the ladies!
86 sr-5 4runner SAS conversion. E-lockers F&R, 5.29's 4.7 Marlin case.

guywithuglyyota

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 212
  • Male Posts: 810
  • Member since Jul '04
  • F-22 Crew Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Mar 12, 2005, 10:13:28 PM »
im having trouble with my rear arb. It will leak, then re-seal itself. But im being told that the new design arb has is really picky on whether or not that copper line touches ANYTHING at all in the housing. So I have been removing/installing/removing/installing my third a few times to no avail. I know the seals are good, cause Marlins shop pulled it apart, I guess this newer design is better    :bull crap:     my front HP works like a champ though!   good luck on whatever decision you make
Comedy is the last refuge of the nonconformist mind.

OOPS

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 1304
  • Male Posts: 2,561
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Mar 12, 2005, 10:33:19 PM »
I have been running ARB's for over seven years. The only problems I have had are, I had a solenoid go south, one set of O-rings due to installer, Wore the pump becaused I used it for OBA, cost thirty dollars for a complete rebuild kit. And I broke the ring gear flange off the housing due to the ring gear bolts coming loose after seven years of bashing, ARB completely rebuilt it for two hundred and fifty dollars. I have ran them in the snow, deep water crossing, rocks, and the desert with out a failure. Even the blue line for the rear one is the same blue line I installed seven years ago.

I have seen more failures with the e-lockers then I have with ARB,s and in my opinion an e-locker does not lock/un-lock as fast as an ARB
David & Theresa Fritzsche, 1990 Ex-Cab with a few mods!!!!!!!!! Roseville, CA Sobriety =Serenity