Author Topic: 2005 LandCruiser Debut  (Read 3748 times)

TrackVino

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 45
  • Male Posts: 1,038
  • Member since Oct '04
  • Rocking and Rollin with Marlin!!!
    • View Profile
    • DCD Photo Studios
2005 LandCruiser Debut
« on: Feb 22, 2005, 05:11:32 PM »
February 9, 2005 -- Chicago,IL -- Toyota unveiled the all-new FJ Cruiser sport utility vehicle (SUV) at a press conference today at the 2005 Chicago Auto Show. The overwhelmingly positive response to the FJ Cruiser concept, developed two years ago, prompted Toyota to launch a production version of the SUV. The all-new production model retains much of the design details of the original concept.

"The FJ Cruiser effectively fills a gap in the Toyota lineup which was once our core heritage - capable, affordable and durable vehicles that are youthful, fun-to-drive, aggressive and tough," said Don Esmond, senior vice president and general manager, Toyota Division. "The FJ Cruiser will deliver true off-road ruggedness, image and performance at a very low price, making it highly accessible for a large volume of young buyers."

The final production design of the FJ Cruiser was a joint project by Toyota Motor Corporation and Calty Design Research, which developed the original concept vehicle shown at the North American International Auto Show in 2003. Chiseled from nearly a half-century tradition of tough off-road performance provided by the legendary FJ 40, the original 4Runner, and 4x4 compact pickups, the FJ Cruiser was developed as a basic, capable and affordable off-roader aimed specifically at young buyers with active outdoor lifestyles.

The FJ Cruiser takes on an authentic functional form, yet adopts several styling cues from the original FJ 40. Some of these cues are notable on the front end by its wide grille with "Toyota" logo badging, round headlights, and offset combination lamps. Additional inspiration can be found through its upright windshield and white cap roof. Traits are also noticeable in the rear with wrapping rear corner windows. The modern shape of the FJ Cruiser is woven into a compact package set on a wide track, producing enhanced stability and a powerful stance.

Utility features include a two-part rear hatch with flip-up glass, black overfenders with mudguards, and silver painted bumper extenders, mirrors, door handles and skid plate. Easy rear passenger entry into the two-door SUV is achieved with rear access doors.

Power is supplied by a 4.0-liter V6 engine, generating 245 horsepower and 282 lb-ft. of torque. The engine is paired with a five-speed automatic transmission on both 4x2 and 4x4 configurations and an available six-speed manual on 4x4 models.

The five-passenger FJ Cruiser rides on a modified 4Runner platform and features 17-inch steel wheels and four-wheel disc brakes. Just like all of the SUV’s in Toyota's line-up, the FJ Cruiser will be equipped with the Star Safety System which includes Vehicle Stability Control (VSC) and traction control (TRAC), an anti-lock brake system (ABS) with electronic brake-force distribution (EBD) and brake assist as standard. All 4x2 models will come with a standard automatic limited slip differential (ALSD).

The tough and straightforward theme of the FJ Cruiser is extended to the interior with a cabin designed specifically for basic functionality and flexible utility. The instrument panel features an exterior color trim, adding to its sophisticated, handcrafted appearance. The faceplate with round inset instrumentation communicates a mechanical appearance. The steering wheel and center-mounted shifter, and attached-look door panels feature tool-like simplicity. The rear seats fold flat, creating ample cargo space and maximum usability.

The interior will be equipped with an array of standard convenience features including air conditioning, AM/FM CD audio with six speakers, tilt steering wheel, four cupholders, passenger seat back pocket, and an upper dash-mounted map/glove box.

Additional optional equipment includes 17-inch aluminum alloy wheels, rear differential lock, electronic four-wheel traction control (on 4WD models only), running boards, rear sonar backup assist, front seat-mounted side airbags and front- and rear-side curtain airbags, daytime running lights, power outside mirror with image lights, cruise control, AM/FM CD audio with a six-disc changer, equalizer and eight speakers, leather-wrapped steering wheel with audio controls, multi-information display, exterior color door insert panels, privacy glass, and rear wiper.

"Toyota is responding to the needs of a new generation of buyers with a modern interpretation of a Toyota classic, combining Toyota heritage with the safety and refinement requirements of today’s market," said Esmond.

The Toyota FJ Cruiser will reach Toyota dealerships in early 2006.

TOYOTA FJ CRUISER VEHICLE PRELIMINARY SPECIFICATIONS

POWERTRAIN
4.0 Liter V6 – 245 hp /282 torque

5-speed automatic

Available 6-speed manual in 4x4

DIMENSIONS (inches)

Overall Length: 177.6

Overall Width: 74.6

Overall Height: 70.9

Wheelbase: 105.9

Ground Clearance: 9.6

Wheels: 17 inches black steel wheels w/full size spare
Available alloy wheels (5)

Tire Size: 265/70R17

Towing Capacity: 5,000 lbs.

Seating Capacity: 5

TrackVino [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
    • DCD Photo Studios
Re: 2005 LandCruiser Debut
« Reply #1 on: Feb 22, 2005, 05:13:35 PM »
Kind of looks like a futuristic tonka toy to me  :stopit:

brainlessfool

• It's not my problem if you can't hear the voices too.
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 2730
  • Male Posts: 4,207
  • Member since Jun '02
  • drive fast or the devil may get ya
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a cigar
« Reply #2 on: Feb 22, 2005, 06:49:47 PM »
looks like the truck I built out of lego's when I was five.  :smack:

oh yeah, and it's  :stopit:
A good day working, that's just sick :reg:

UNBREAKABLE

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 372
  • Male Posts: 2,028
  • Member since Aug '04
  • Yeah, I guess you could say I'm a RockStar
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Feb 22, 2005, 08:00:42 PM »
looks like the truck I built out of lego's when I was five.  :smack:

I agree

oh yeah, and it's  :stopit:
That's how I roll

waffler

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: -9
  • Male Posts: 99
  • Member since Oct '04
  • Was that necessary?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Feb 22, 2005, 09:17:18 PM »
kinda looks like some toys i used to play with when i was younger.  :ha_ha:  does it come with a key to wind it up  :ha_ha:
There is no cure for stupidity.  Dribble happens.

FATB0Y

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 2,803
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
    • fatboy on my space.com
« Reply #5 on: Feb 23, 2005, 05:43:17 AM »
It Looks Too Fragile  :driving:  :_oops:  oops  :_order: I think I broke it :sad2:

crawlingturtle

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 640
  • Male Posts: 147
  • Member since Dec '04
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Feb 23, 2005, 09:29:32 AM »
Crawlingturtle =  :slap: =Toyota       Ya it looks  :stopit: Toyota needs to go old school with the first gens like Ford has done with the GT's.  :_order:   
The EVIL TURTLES are taking over!!!

BLACKDOG

• 3.0 Killer
  • Turtle Points: 718
  • Male Posts: 7,644
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Feb 23, 2005, 09:34:31 AM »
I think toyota should give us each one, you know, kinda as a test panel. :yesnod:  Then we can really make our judgments.  I think it is unfair for us to judge it before toyota gives us a free chance to thrash it dont you? :rofl:
:usa: Its better to die on your feet than live on your knees :usa:

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free. "

"I don't believe in a government that protects us from ourselves."
              -Ronald Reagan

Don't take life too seriously, it isn't permanent

FATB0Y

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
    • fatboy on my space.com
« Reply #8 on: Feb 23, 2005, 10:42:18 AM »
I think toyota should give us each one, you know, kinda as a test panel. :yesnod: Then we can really make our judgments. I think it is unfair for us to judge it before toyota gives us a free chance to thrash it dont you? :rofl:
Yeah :thumbs: we can beat the fenders off and flop it a few times to see how it holds up. :gap:

BLACKDOG

• 3.0 Killer
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Feb 23, 2005, 10:43:28 AM »
see, now we're on the same page :thumbs:

:beerchug:

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free. "

-Ronald Reagan

FATB0Y

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
    • fatboy on my space.com
« Reply #10 on: Feb 23, 2005, 10:55:25 AM »
see, now we're on the same page :thumbs:

:beerchug:
:idea: wonder how it would do in a crash test  :headscratch: (I'll drive you be the dummy :yupyup: )

mplatzer

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 60
  • Male Posts: 126
  • Member since Jan '05
  • if you aint done jack you dont know :pokinit:
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Feb 23, 2005, 12:57:16 PM »
looks dumb,very disapointing, im upset they put the yota name on it :stopit:  :tantrum:  :maddest:  :reg:  :moon:  :moon:  :moon:  :moon:  :moon:  :moon:  :moon:  :moon:  :moon:  :moon:  :moon:  :moon:  :moon:  :moon:  :moon:  :moon:  :moon:  :moon:  :moon:
HAMMERS THE BEST TRAILS IN THE WORLD

BLACKDOG

• 3.0 Killer
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Feb 23, 2005, 01:37:29 PM »
Looks kinda like what the Jeep folks are trying to put out now.  Also looks kinda like a  :stopit: H2 :down: dont do this to us Toyota  :tantrum:

We coulda had something special, but you one crazy ass pregnant dog!!!

-Ronald Reagan

TrackVino [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
    • DCD Photo Studios
« Reply #13 on: Feb 23, 2005, 03:05:36 PM »
You are correct, it kind of does look like a hummer, I wonder if thats the look most car companies are going for these days, Land Rover is similar.

I think Toyota should team up with Marlin Crawler to for an ultimate, production, off road vehicle.

It can look like this if they want, as long as it kicks butt on the trail. Lots of us have seen pictures of hummers trying to flex, but with the ifs, its not possible, this thing looks like it would also have problems trying to crawl.

A Marlin, Toyota combination will be the ultimate in team ups.

:bowdown:  :bowdown:  :bowdown:  :bowdown:  :bowdown:  :bowdown:  :bowdown:  :bowdown:  :bowdown:  :bowdown:  :bowdown:  :bowdown:  :bowdown:  :bowdown:  :bowdown:  :bowdown:  :bowdown:  :bowdown:  :bowdown:  :bowdown:  :bowdown:  :bowdown:  :bowdown:  :bowdown:  :bowdown:  :bowdown:  :bowdown:  :bowdown:  :bowdown:  :bowdown:  :bowdown:  :bowdown:  :bowdown:  :bowdown:  :bowdown:  :bowdown:  :bowdown:  :bowdown:  :bowdown:  :bowdown:  :bowdown:  :bowdown:  :bowdown:  :bowdown:  :bowdown:  :bowdown:  :bowdown:  :bowdown:  :bowdown:  :bowdown:  :bowdown:  :bowdown:  :bowdown:  :bowdown:  :bowdown:  :bowdown:  :bowdown:  :bowdown:  :bowdown:  :bowdown:  :bowdown:  :bowdown:  :bowdown:  :bowdown:  :bowdown:  :bowdown:  :bowdown:  :bowdown:  :bowdown:  :bowdown:  :bowdown:  :bowdown:  :bowdown:  :bowdown:  :bowdown:  :bowdown:

donkeykong

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: -159
  • Member since Jun '03
  • My truck and a nice trail...that's all I need
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Feb 24, 2005, 11:26:52 AM »
It looks like mix of a old cruiser, land rover and a bit of H2.  shake it together and out comes a fancy piece of crap.  I am sure it will be comfortable to sit in but just like the new 4runners the actuall Off-road ability has become almost non-existant