Author Topic: 1996 Tacoma V6 Planned Build Cost Reality Check  (Read 1444 times)

rtaylor777

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 15
  • Member since Apr '12
    • View Profile
    • Javacrypt.com
1996 Tacoma V6 Planned Build Cost Reality Check
« on: Apr 04, 2012, 01:37:07 PM »
Hi,
I'm new to the forums. I have been dreaming for a while about some major modifications for my 1996 Toyota Tacoma 3.4 V6 Extra Cab 4x4.
I have been trying to plan out what I want the end result to be and I am hoping to avoid too many wasted interim modifications and expenses.

So here is my concern. If I plan to spend 20,000 max on this project initially, is it unrealistic to hope to do these modifications.

I want to put Unimog portal axles on this rig, and I would like to have the marlin crawler dual transfer case.

I understand this will require a new suspension, I would like something with long travel springs and shocks. This will require
steering and brake work, possibly disk brakes front and back. This will probably require new drive shafts front and back. It will
also require shortening the Unimog axles. I will want the speedometer to be relatively accurate, so this may require some gearing changes.
I understand there is some gear reduction in the portal hubs already. I will need to put some rubber on this rig that will relatively match
the increased diameter I would like to end up with so that I can get it home from whichever shop I get the work done at. Is it reasonable to
consider 39" tires or should I balance the whole thing for 35"s?

I'm not a mechanic so while I am willing to do a lot I may not be able to do much of this.

The end result is I would like this machine to still be able to transport me to and from work, and out to the off road spots.

Is there a shop that can do this kind of thing? Shop rates are? Time required might be?

I suppose ultimately it would be nice to know if I'm dreaming beyond my means and need to tone it down a bit.

Thanks,
Rob

DRTYLUVN

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -19
  • Member since Oct '11
    • View Profile
good luck buddy :thumbs:
my 85 has cost me $6500 so far and that just parts alone im anticipating $10k+ for the price of the truck, parts and misc. items such as welding material, harbor tools, etc.
this is also no labor charges, my buddies doin trade work for me, i also am not a mechanic
my cousin did his tacoma and i think it ran $12k or so and he did work himself

not being negative just saying your off to a good start by planning, im new to this too
looking forward to your build :beer:

nisota

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 5
  • Male Posts: 608
  • Member since Feb '12
  • Wonsyld/Leard Built Fab
    • View Profile
Lookin forward to seein this build.  :beer: :thumbs:

tlcbtv1

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 0