Author Topic: Upgrading the stock alternator  (Read 2741 times)

guywithuglyyota

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 212
  • Male Posts: 810
  • Member since Jul '04
  • F-22 Crew Chief
    • View Profile
Upgrading the stock alternator
« on: Jan 09, 2005, 04:52:10 PM »
I know this has been discussed a few times, however I havent seen anyone who has had there factory alternator upgraded to put out more current. I know its possible with some other trucks. I would rather keep things as simple as possible. I suppose they add more copper wire????

Luke
Comedy is the last refuge of the nonconformist mind.

ol yeller

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 76
  • Male Posts: 66
  • Member since Jan '04
  • whoops
    • View Profile
Re: Upgrading the stock alternator
« Reply #1 on: Jan 10, 2005, 04:53:52 PM »
I contacted mobi-arc(sorry, I dont know how to put the web site up).  They sell a different stator that will up your amperage to 90-100.  They claim that you don't have to make any other mods, just put the new stator in the alt case.  My wonderful wife got me the stator for xmas, so I have not put it in yet.  There was someone else on the net that has done this also, but I dont remember where I saw it.  Hope this helps.
One Day...DUAL TRANSFER!!!      Go hard or go home.

guywithuglyyota [OP]

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Member since Jul '04
  • F-22 Crew Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Jan 10, 2005, 05:32:17 PM »
Yeller,  I appreciate your help. I have been reading into this for a while, I think im going to try and install a gm cs-144. It is used on all heavy duty applications such as police interceptors, ambulances tow trucks etc. It puts out 200 amps and something like 160 @ idle. My only concearn is if it will fit in the stock location. I can odrer a one wire setup or a three wire. I like the idea of one wire however I will have to wire up an aux voltage meter since this will bypass the idiotlight on the dash.    :beer:

Skinny_Pedal

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 89
  • Male Posts: 2,833
  • Member since Apr '04
  • work so I can support my lifestyle
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #3 on: Jan 10, 2005, 05:35:55 PM »
i think this is what your looking for
http://www.4x4wire.com/toyota/tech/alternator/
Im an OG

ol yeller

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 76
  • Male Posts: 66
  • Member since Jan '04
  • whoops
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Jan 10, 2005, 06:39:52 PM »
That's it... Ihope it works as good as I think it will
One Day...DUAL TRANSFER!!!      Go hard or go home.

90slvpup

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 135
  • Member since Feb '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Feb 07, 2005, 08:15:32 PM »
I have the MOBI Arc Stator and it is an awesome unit they also pre set it up for their welding system (waiting to get more money for toys like that) but it is a simple stup and not alot of cash to spend

alwayzbroken

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: 603
  • Male Posts: 1,905
  • Member since Feb '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Feb 13, 2005, 06:20:17 PM »
ca
Yeller, I appreciate your help. I have been reading into this for a while, I think im going to try and install a gm cs-144. It is used on all heavy duty applications such as police interceptors, ambulances tow trucks etc. It puts out 200 amps and something like 160 @ idle. My only concearn is if it will fit in the stock location. I can odrer a one wire setup or a three wire. I like the idea of one wire however I will have to wire up an aux voltage meter since this will bypass the idiotlight on the dash. :beer:

Where can these cs-144 alts be purchased at? Auto parts store? If so do have a part number?
If you still have control you aren't going fast enough

guywithuglyyota [OP]

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Member since Jul '04
  • F-22 Crew Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Feb 13, 2005, 08:16:46 PM »
right now my truck is having the charging system re-wired by a shop, as soon as it gets back I will tell you how well it works. I can tell you that it will not fit in the stock location. I mounted mine where my ac compressor used to be (the smog pump bracket had an angle to it for some reason) Go to your local parts store ( I used napa) and ask for a 96 buick roadmaster alternator. The pigtail does not come with it, I had a hard time scrounging one up but ended up finding one at a car quest, a dealer will have it im sure if all else fails. The unit I have puts out 140 amps, the 200 amp units are from this website and there customer service is very helpful www.alternatorparts.com  I simply removed the v belt pulley from the old alt and installed on the new buick unit. As Im sure you know you must upgrade your battery charge wire using car stereo 4 gauge or 8 gauge wire to prevent a fried wire. It was not cheap! I paid 120 bucks for this beast! I did not have a core, but if your up to it you can scrounge a junk yard core. I chose the cs-144 over the cs-130 because the smaller cs-130 does not make nearly as much current at low rpm's and has cooling problems.

Good luck! I will post pics as soon as I get the truck back!

Luke
« Last Edit: Feb 16, 2005, 08:38:03 PM by guywithuglyyota »