Author Topic: 5.9 Temblor in...Virginia!  (Read 2105 times)

abnormaltoy

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 714
  • Male Posts: 640
  • Member since Jul '03
  • I'll do the thinnin' around here Baba Looey!
    • View Profile
5.9 Temblor in...Virginia!
« on: Aug 23, 2011, 01:52:47 PM »
Most of the users on this site are from out west in general and California in particular...most are pretty familiar with quakes.

With the reported epicenter near a little ville named Mineral, Va. , this is an odd occurrence. I've got people all over Virginia (the land of my birth) with many in the area of the quake...Henrico and Locust Grove.

I think Topar is located not too far from that area also. No reports of major damage...just a little unease. I have a niece in Baltimore that felt the shaking.

Kind of odd...but, not unheard of!
The things that come to those who wait, may be the things left by those who got there first.

I contend that for a nation to try to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle.
-- Winston Churchill

Censorship, that most subtle tool of oppression, the tool of the fearful and small minded. 8/15/2008

"It is interesting that we are asked to NOT judge all Muslims by the actions of a few lunatics. Too bad gun owners can't get same judgment."
Travis Tritt (I know!)

superyota

• Prestige Worldwide
  • Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 71
  • Male Posts: 3,362
  • Member since Oct '05
  • what happened?
    • View Profile
    • Placer County Crawlers
Re: 5.9 Temblor in...Virginia!
« Reply #1 on: Aug 23, 2011, 03:26:28 PM »
interesting thing to me is why is the one in VA all over the news and not one word about the 5.3 in colorado today.  sounds fishy to me.  http://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/recenteqsww/Maps/region/N_America.php
ABD Motorsports

If you can't convince them, confuse them.
Placer County Crawlers - President 2011-2016
www.placercountycrawlers.com

Rubicon Trail Foundation - Property Committee member
Friends of Fordyce - Board Member
KK6QDW

abnormaltoy [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jul '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Aug 23, 2011, 03:33:33 PM »
I heard about the Colorado quake...maybe since the Va quake, made the media and gubmint uncomfortable, it got all the press.
The things that come to those who wait, may be the things left by those who got there first.

I contend that for a nation to try to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle.
-- Winston Churchill

Censorship, that most subtle tool of oppression, the tool of the fearful and small minded. 8/15/2008

"It is interesting that we are asked to NOT judge all Muslims by the actions of a few lunatics. Too bad gun owners can't get same judgment."
Travis Tritt (I know!)

unclejpl4x4

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 348
  • Male Posts: 3,522
  • Member since Apr '05
  • Broke & rusted
    • View Profile
    • myspace
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #3 on: Aug 24, 2011, 06:26:23 PM »
Felt it at work here in So jersey    it sounded like some one was beating on the garage door. I was like what a hole customer is doing that look but no one was there. the boss felt saw things move in his office and the water slushing in the water cooler.   big steel frame buildings act like tuning forks.     
build thread http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=39214.0
CB install http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=45467.0
roundeyes http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=33294.0;highlight=round+eyes
LC exhaust head 2 tip, EB RVstreethead O/S valves,EB  268c/torker cam , .20 over , metal t-chain wear pads
MARLIN clutch 1200, master clutch cly

abnormaltoy [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jul '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Aug 24, 2011, 09:09:32 PM »
In the course of our lives, we inevitably face a choice...how to respond to circumstances beyond our control.
We can choose to take the low road...to find the lowest common denominator. Take post-Katrina New Orleans for example.

Occasionally, an entire people will react as one to horror beyond fathom. Take New York, and the entire nation, in response to the September 11th attacks.

It fills me with pride to see the people of my ancestral home, Virginia, rise as one...to rebuild after the recent quake that struck the area. To show courage in the face of such a daunting task...

« Last Edit: Aug 24, 2011, 09:43:13 PM by abnormaltoy »

-- Winston Churchill

Travis Tritt (I know!)

JanMarie13

• Queen Cookie Monster
  • Rock Ninja
  • Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 924
  • Female Posts: 415
  • Member since Jan '06
  • Mmm....Tacos!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Aug 26, 2011, 01:05:07 PM »
hahaha... I love that pic, Mark!

I felt the earthquake too, here in Central PA!  It was absolutely crazy.  I'd say it lasted about 15 seconds, maybe a little longer, like it kind of came in "waves."  But I was at work and my office is on the 3rd floor of a really old building, and it was shaking and swaying pretty good!!  My secretary and I ran out into the parking lot screaming.  LOL.  I completely expected to see a wrecking ball out in the parking lot!  They keep threatening to tear the building down and I was afraid they started to do it with us in it!  LOL.  When we saw nothing that would indicate what had happened, I called campus law enforcement and they said there had been an earthquake near DC (that's all we knew at the time... this was just minutes after it happened). 

So yeah!  Definitely nothing I ever thought I'd experience in my life!  It was really strange feeling.  And now we're waiting to see what kind of impacts we'll get from this damned Mean Irene!  Poor Joeyson will probably get it a lot worse than I will.
RIP Kyle, we love and miss you man.  :smooch:
thanks for the smooch I miss you too !  :yesnod:

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 730
  • Male Posts: 13,860
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
« Reply #6 on: Aug 27, 2011, 01:53:29 AM »
When they were whooping it up about the earthquake I was like ooooh. When they said it was a 5.8 I fell out of my chair with laughter, normally a 5.8 would not have even got me out of my chair but this one made me fall out of it even though I never felt it.
The Ghost-Rider/Ghost Runner

No matter how far you fall, the ground will always catch you