Author Topic: 4runner pulls to the left after driving over rail road tracks  (Read 3874 times)

4Runner_guy

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since Jan '11
    • View Profile
Hey guys, I was leaving class and came across a rail road track that I drive over every other day. I was driving around 30-35 mph when I drove over it and as soon as I drove past the rail road track, my truck all of the sudden pulled to the left. I felt the change and immediately slowed down to regain control. I stopped the truck and checked things out but could not see anything wrong. I drove it again and it drove fine, no noise, no pulsation, and nothing I can see physically to the truck but still pulls to the left. Could it be an alignment issue? Stabilizer bar? Idler arm?
I had the truck for almost a year now and still finding new things about the truck so if you guys have any suggestions, that would be great. Thanks in advance guys.

sirhc0306

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -7
  • Male Posts: 142
  • Member since Apr '09
  • beer is good
    • View Profile
Sounds like an alignment issue. I would have the alignment checked because if it is off then you could start wearing the tires out way faster than you will like to. Let us know what happens
92 SAS truggy, Dana 44 Detroit 5.38's, 3 link with 14in Kings, Rear 9in Spool 5.42's, 3 link with 14in Kings, 22RE, SM465, 23 spline 2.28 and 4.70. 39.5 Iroks on OMF beadlocks. Warn 9000

4Runner_guy [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Jan '11
    • View Profile
Upon further inspections, when I drive the truck up to speeds of 35-40 mph, the steering wheel shakes a bit, kinda like it is pulsating and when it pulsates, it mildly jerks the steering wheel a bit and still pulls to the left.

toyyota

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 5
  • Member since Apr '08
    • View Profile
You could try backing over the RR tracks, or double check tire pressures. I would probably check with a wheel alignment shop, for a second opinion.
Bob.

Bigredwelder

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: -20
  • Male Posts: 67
  • Member since Apr '11
    • View Profile
Definitely check your alignment (including checking all adjuster bolts and tie rod ends) and make sure your steering box bolts are tight.  You have something loose in your steering system if all it takes is going over railroad tracks to knock it out of whack.  I wouldn't be driving it until I found the source of the problem.  Sounds like your whole front end could use to be gone through and given a good look-over.
Tungsten isn't filler material!  Quit dippin' it!

Some people are like a slinky....not really good for anything, but they sure can make you smile when you shove them down the stairs!

sirhc0306

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Apr '09
  • beer is good
    • View Profile
Also check your balljoints and if you have a steering stabilizer check that as well. talk it off and move it in and out. if there are any spots where it drops or pulls real easy then replace that to. Just do a shake down of the whole front end. anything that moves check it.
92 SAS truggy, Dana 44 Detroit 5.38's, 3 link with 14in Kings, Rear 9in Spool 5.42's, 3 link with 14in Kings, 22RE, SM465, 23 spline 2.28 and 4.70. 39.5 Iroks on OMF beadlocks. Warn 9000

toyotech

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 2
  • Male Posts: 509
  • Member since Feb '10
    • View Profile
IFS and less backspacing will cause the truck to wonder more when driving on uneven roads. 
seeing as it is driving fine now and hearing that the steering wheel moving back and forth at certain speeds is mostly likely a tire balance issue.  balancing off road tires can be a challenge.  i would rec looking into those beads you can pour into the tire so they auto balance at all times.  im looking into doing this for both my trucks. kinda pricey but imo worth it, since you never have to balance ever again it it will always auto correct.  up to you but without actually having me test drive it, i can only go off what you post. i would start with a tire balance if the truck drives good now

Dyna Beads
http://www.innovativebalancing.com/?gclid=CKS27LTbj6gCFRFOgwodD2KDDQ

jimbo74

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 2872
  • Male Posts: 8,707
  • Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
another thing to check..... make sure the suspension is tight...... doesn't say what year your runner is, but if it is a solid axle, check the spring center pins, check the u-bolts, things like that.. as well as other nuts/bolts in the front end.....

if it is ifs, also check things like the balljoints, and control arm bushings

how hard did you jump the railroad tracks?!
:usa:

The cost of freedom is always high, but Americans have always paid it. And one path we shall never choose, and that is the path of surrender, or submission.

~ John F. Kennedy ~

4Runner_guy [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Jan '11
    • View Profile
Thanks for the reply everyone. I was about to replace both of my ball joints to my 88' 4Runner but the prices of the ball joints from the dealer is horrendous! So I ordered a set of Moog ball joints along with 1.5 BJ spacers.
I fixed the problem with my truck. The crossing of the railroad tracks jarred the crap out of my truck, I mean, it wasn't even a hard bump too. Anyways, I had a donor cv axel and installed that to the truck. The broken axel I pulled was really bad, the joints immediately popped off the second I pulled it, which explains the pulling and the steering wheel jerking. I replaced it and took it for a drive for 10 mins and everything checks out. Thanks everyone for the input on getting my truck back on the pavement!

toyotech

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 2
  • Male Posts: 509
  • Member since Feb '10
    • View Profile
good to hear. how did the cv axles cause the jerking? dont you have manual hubs which disables them. i guess they still turn... hmm

Bigredwelder

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: -20
  • Male Posts: 67
  • Member since Apr '11
    • View Profile
Awesome.  Glad to hear you got it figured out!
Tungsten isn't filler material!  Quit dippin' it!

Some people are like a slinky....not really good for anything, but they sure can make you smile when you shove them down the stairs!

4Runner_guy [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Jan '11
    • View Profile
good to hear. how did the cv axles cause the jerking? dont you have manual hubs which disables them. i guess they still turn... hmm

I really had it pin down to the BJs but I guess it wasn't. Just came back from Oakhurst picking up some parts and the truck did great, no issues.

Awesome.  Glad to hear you got it figured out!

Thanks man.

sirhc0306

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Apr '09
  • beer is good
    • View Profile
Glad everything turned out good.  :clap: