Author Topic: This is going to far!  (Read 2269 times)

junya92toy

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: -64
  • Male Posts: 1,500
  • Member since Nov '04
  • Drinking me beer
    • View Profile
This is going to far!
« on: Feb 25, 2011, 04:30:28 PM »
When will people be held responsible for their own actions?
http://ehub.journalism.ku.edu/utsler-512-sp11/2011/02/14/texting-and-listening-to-your-ipod-while-walking-will-be-illegal/

Texting and Listening to your iPod while Walking will be Illegal
Posted on February 14, 2011 by ngambhir@ku.edu
How many times have you run into something as you were walking and texting or even messing with your iPod? In the state of Arkansas and New York it has been a common issue when a person is either checking their email, replying back to a ‘where are you’ text or skipping a track on your iPod and then end up running into something or even something running into them.

According to the New York and Arkansas State Senators, they are considering banning texting while walking and listening to your iPod.  Senators Carl Kruger and Jimmy Jeffress believe that texting while walking and cranked up music through your iPod is a distraction that causes disaster. In Arkansas, the proposal would include forbidding the use of “headphones in both ears while on, parallel or adjacent to a street, road, intersection or highway. The measure also applies to runners and cyclists and would allow pedestrians to wear headphones in one ear” (Associated Press 2011).   Both senators have different solutions for the violators. Jeffress says his legislation would not penalize violators by a fine or anything but rather, it is just an “increasing awareness than punishing pedestrians.”   On the other hand, New York’s Sen.  Carl Kruger has been trying to put this proposal since 2007 to where if somebody was to violate it, they would receive a $100 civil fine.

“It’s not just distracted drivers. We focus a lot on distracted drivers, but we also need to focus on distracted walkers and joggers,” said Jonathan Adkins, a spokesman for the Governors Highway Safety Association.  It was first thought to be that only texting while driving was disastrous but now being engaged in your mobile device and blaring music in your ears is dangerous as well.

Starting from the top, we had a law passed in some states where people could no talk and drive unless they had a Bluetooth. Next we had the no texting and driving law pass. Now we have a proposed law saying no texting or listening to music while walking or jogging. This legislation is projected to decrease the number of traffic fatalities. “Nationally, pedestrians make up about 12 percent of traffic fatalities,” according to The Governors Highway Safety Association. 

Although this legislation is only a way to make pedestrians more attentive to avoid accidents, most people consider their cell phones and iPods as their cup of coffee. In other words, if and when this proposal is to pass, it would be a long time if even at all for it to actually be effective.
Dr.Maxwe001 – well i have a 15 gal compressor now and if I gett he 60  and then use the 15 as a reserve that wil give me 75 gal  thats close to 80 isnt it ?

abnormaltoy

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 714
  • Male Posts: 640
  • Member since Jul '03
  • I'll do the thinnin' around here Baba Looey!
    • View Profile
Re: This is going to far!
« Reply #1 on: Feb 25, 2011, 04:51:13 PM »
People get tired of idiots. Then they have a knee-jerk reaction and try to legislate commonsense.
The things that come to those who wait, may be the things left by those who got there first.

I contend that for a nation to try to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle.
-- Winston Churchill

Censorship, that most subtle tool of oppression, the tool of the fearful and small minded. 8/15/2008

"It is interesting that we are asked to NOT judge all Muslims by the actions of a few lunatics. Too bad gun owners can't get same judgment."
Travis Tritt (I know!)

jrock

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 77
  • Male Posts: 3,395
  • Member since Oct '06
  • Oodelally
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Feb 25, 2011, 04:57:24 PM »
World is being idiot proofed. I does need to stop. I say, let them learn!

Tofudude

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -31
  • Member since Jun '10
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Feb 25, 2011, 05:05:00 PM »
yeah we need to stop getting in the way of darwnism

83 Crawler

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: -13
  • Male Posts: 2,779
  • Member since Jun '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Feb 25, 2011, 05:06:40 PM »
it is pretty stupid

junya92toy [OP]

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Member since Nov '04
  • Drinking me beer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Feb 25, 2011, 05:15:18 PM »
Small steps to communisum. Whats next laws telling us how to eat so we dont choke, how long to take a bath so we dont freeze, when to talk in person, etc.
Dr.Maxwe001 – well i have a 15 gal compressor now and if I gett he 60  and then use the 15 as a reserve that wil give me 75 gal  thats close to 80 isnt it ?

abnormaltoy

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jul '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Feb 25, 2011, 05:29:55 PM »
Small steps to communisum. Whats next laws telling us how to eat so we dont choke, how long to take a bath so we dont freeze, when to talk in person, etc.

Got news for you bubba...some of those laws are already here. 

The problem is many fold. Stupid kids grow up get jobs in government. Government, almost by it's very nature, excels at being stupid. Stupid people don't die off fast enough to negate their existence...so their effect grows like the mold in a Norleans shanty. As long as stupid people are...stupid, they'll keep electing other stupid people who will try to protect stupid people from society (instead of the other way around). I could go on...
The things that come to those who wait, may be the things left by those who got there first.

I contend that for a nation to try to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle.
-- Winston Churchill

Censorship, that most subtle tool of oppression, the tool of the fearful and small minded. 8/15/2008

"It is interesting that we are asked to NOT judge all Muslims by the actions of a few lunatics. Too bad gun owners can't get same judgment."
Travis Tritt (I know!)

junya92toy [OP]

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Member since Nov '04
  • Drinking me beer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Feb 25, 2011, 05:31:36 PM »
O trust me I know there already laws there, but we need to fight every one we can.

emsvitil

• Turtle Points: 7571
  • Male Posts: 3,561
  • Member since May '07
    • View Profile
    • emsvitil's album
    • Buy me a soda
« Reply #8 on: Feb 25, 2011, 05:32:33 PM »
Just make it so the stupid people can't sue anyone for their own stupidity...............
Ed
SoCal
86 SR5 XtraCab
22RE  W56B
31x10.50R15

abnormaltoy

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jul '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Feb 25, 2011, 05:43:19 PM »
Just make it so the stupid people can't sue anyone for their own stupidity...............

Stupid people made those laws  :dunno:

-- Winston Churchill

Travis Tritt (I know!)

junya92toy [OP]

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Member since Nov '04
  • Drinking me beer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Feb 25, 2011, 07:00:16 PM »

Stupid people made those laws  :dunno:

Winner, winner, chicken dinner!

yoshaleng

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 134
  • Male Posts: 1,258
  • Member since Jul '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Feb 25, 2011, 07:04:59 PM »

X2  :clap2:

abnormaltoy

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jul '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Feb 25, 2011, 07:35:59 PM »
Winner, winner, chicken dinner!

I know which show you watch!

-- Winston Churchill

Travis Tritt (I know!)

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 730
  • Male Posts: 13,860
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
« Reply #13 on: Feb 25, 2011, 08:18:34 PM »
I can see it now, one day the bubble law will come to be so that way we can't even stub a toe. Everyone will have to remain in their plastic bubble so as not to hurt themselves.
The Ghost-Rider/Ghost Runner

No matter how far you fall, the ground will always catch you

abnormaltoy

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jul '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Feb 25, 2011, 08:23:50 PM »
I can see it now, one day the bubble law will come to be so that way we can't even stub a toe. Everyone will have to remain in their plastic bubble so as not to hurt themselves.

It might be Matrix-ish, all of us just layin' about in our Jello pod imagining we have a life but...

-- Winston Churchill

Travis Tritt (I know!)

junya92toy [OP]

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Member since Nov '04
  • Drinking me beer
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Feb 25, 2011, 08:37:32 PM »
 So if IM imagining it, why arent i getting laid?

abnormaltoy

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jul '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Feb 25, 2011, 08:39:22 PM »
So if IM imagining it, why arent i getting laid?

Don't know...you break your hand?

-- Winston Churchill

Travis Tritt (I know!)

junya92toy [OP]

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Member since Nov '04
  • Drinking me beer
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Feb 25, 2011, 08:45:23 PM »
Pretty much.

abnormaltoy

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jul '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: Feb 25, 2011, 08:47:41 PM »

-- Winston Churchill

Travis Tritt (I know!)

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Turtle Points: 730
  • Male Posts: 13,860
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
« Reply #19 on: Feb 25, 2011, 09:15:06 PM »
So now there'll be a law about using your hand and breaking it too?! You must slow down, so what will be the stroke limit?
The Ghost-Rider/Ghost Runner

No matter how far you fall, the ground will always catch you

Stocker

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 962
  • Male Posts: 173
  • Member since Oct '05
  • Since 1977
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Feb 25, 2011, 09:47:35 PM »
All this talk of well-meaning but sadly misguided fools trying to protect everyone from everything reminded me of the OSHA cowboy, which has been around quite a long time. In other words, this ain't nuthin new, folks...

My goal in life is to be as a good a person as my dog already thinks I am.

If you don't learn something every day, you're not paying attention.

wakkjobb

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: -18
  • Male Posts: 1,590
  • Member since Dec '08
  • Back at it after 5 years!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Feb 25, 2011, 09:57:45 PM »
^^ Gotta love that roll bar...  :disturbed:
ASE certified shadetree mechanic and spoon operator
IronClad: If I wanted to hold hands and be nice I'd become a hippie.
85 4Runner, duals, 38s, 5.29s, locked, 3.4 swapped, GranVille Edition

83 Crawler

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: -13
  • Male Posts: 2,779
  • Member since Jun '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Feb 26, 2011, 08:18:54 AM »
All this talk of well-meaning but sadly misguided fools trying to protect everyone from everything reminded me of the OSHA cowboy, which has been around quite a long time. In other words, this ain't nuthin new, folks...

:funny:

Muddytazz

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -10
  • Male Posts: 396
  • Member since Jan '11
  • I hear voices in my head!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Feb 26, 2011, 08:33:22 AM »
That is funnier than hell
Build it right or get off the trail

unclejpl4x4

• Turtle Points: 348
  • Male Posts: 3,522
  • Member since Apr '05
  • Broke & rusted
    • View Profile
    • myspace
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #24 on: Feb 26, 2011, 08:40:53 AM »
this planet is overpopulated   we need the Idiots to kill them self off. survival of the fittest  
build thread http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=39214.0
CB install http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=45467.0
roundeyes http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=33294.0;highlight=round+eyes
LC exhaust head 2 tip, EB RVstreethead O/S valves,EB  268c/torker cam , .20 over , metal t-chain wear pads
MARLIN clutch 1200, master clutch cly

blackdiamond

• Turtle Points: 1174
  • Male Posts: 5,057
  • Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Feb 26, 2011, 08:52:42 AM »
yeah we need to stop getting in the way of Darwinism

Here's what I find funny.  Why is it that the vast majority of tree hugger's and conservationists are evolutionists?  Why are they constantly trying to get in the way of evolution?  What good is an evolutionist if they don't believe in survival of the fittest?  It seems that if they really wanted to save the world that would advocate solving the human overpopulation problem since we're really the reason everything is so messed up.

I work for the government and I can assure you that we're not out to help ourselves by being safe.  We're starting to regulate safety at work to the level that we might as well stay home, we'd get more work done.  Somebody trips on a ripple in the street and we remove all speed bumps from the road until someone get hurt while driving too fast and then we put twice as many speed bumps in as were originally there.  Somebody gets shocked and we request an Amish consult to see if we can eliminate electricity all together.
1989 4Runner: Dual Ultimate (Inchworm front & Marlin 4.70 rear), Marlin Twin Stick, 1200-lb clutch, 4.88 R&P, Aussie Front, Detroit rear, 30-spline Longs, Long hub gears, ARP hub and knuckle studs & 35x12.50 Cooper STT PRO tires.  Marlin rear bumper & sliders.  FROR front bumper.  SAS with Alcan springs & Rancho 9000XL shocks.  Budbuilt Bolt-on traction bar.  Custom Interior Cage by Those Guys Rod and Customs.

Moab Tested & Rubicon Approved