Author Topic: Which steering box mount to use? Marlin, All Pro, Front Range or Trail Gear.  (Read 16001 times)

Volcom

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 269
  • Male Posts: 2,418
  • Member since Sep '04
  • Colorado Rocks!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.rockfrogs.org
I am moving the axle forward and was wondering if the steering box mounting plates would get in the way as I am going to move the steering box as far forward as possible.

I had to trim the front of my mounting plates when I installed my steering box.  I also had to cut a hole in the front radiator support to get the box as forward as I could.
84 4Runner
Swapped EFI and a rebuilt 22RE
Marlin Dual Ultimate crawler
Marlin high steer
TG springs
5.29's, Aussie locked front and rear
39.5" Iroks on 15x10 2.5" backspaced wheels
109" wheelbase
Addicted Off Road 8 point cage
Addicted Off Road front bumper

Addicted Off Road

Colorado Marlin members, check out the Colorado section!!!

yotarunner85 [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 6
  • Male Posts: 166
  • Member since Nov '09
  • San Diego, CA
    • View Profile
I was wondering if using the stock front spring hanger vs a weld in lower front spring hanger makes a difference in where I mount the steering box? If so I am going to have to decide if I am going to use the weld in spring hanger before mounting the box. If not than I will mount the box now and worry about mounting a front spring hanger later, also thinking about doing RUF and F-150 springs in the back.  :turtle:
1985 Toyota 4Runner, BFG 35" MTs, 4" lift, Detroits lockers front & rear,5.29, V6 rear, rebuilt 22RE.

81yotalove

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 1
  • Male Posts: 310
  • Member since Nov '09
    • View Profile
i have that spring combination. i might had a drop hanger later to correct caster and pinion angles but if your going to run a drop pitman arm and move your axle forward you pretty much need a drop hanger. search some build threads such as jake's budget build, jacky's build up, my lwb first gen, and also look up hysteer and no lift thread on here it will have a lot of info for you.
81 swb 22re 35's

H8PVMNT

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 452
  • Male Posts: 3,554
  • Member since May '07
  • I'LL NEVER MAKE IT...
    • View Profile
Build it!  If you can weld on someone elses you can make one.
“I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth.”
– Steve McQueen

"Except for maybe Seattle."  -H8PVMNT

"I plan to hit 300k in this truck"  :)bestgen4runner

"I'm jealous of your shop. It has concrete and doesn't smell like pickles like the old shop  "  300K

yotarunner85 [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Nov '09
  • San Diego, CA
    • View Profile
i have that spring combination. i might had a drop hanger later to correct caster and pinion angles but if your going to run a drop pitman arm and move your axle forward you pretty much need a drop hanger. search some build threads such as jake's budget build, jacky's build up, my lwb first gen, and also look up hysteer and no lift thread on here it will have a lot of info for you.

Thanks. I have been searching and have found little bits and pieces here and there. I think once I get it in the garage and pull it apart and set all the parts in place I'll have a better idea of what I need to do to set it up the way I want.
1985 Toyota 4Runner, BFG 35" MTs, 4" lift, Detroits lockers front & rear,5.29, V6 rear, rebuilt 22RE.

HIvoltgeToy

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 2
  • Male Posts: 127
  • Member since Jul '10
    • View Profile
If your going to buy one get the Marlin. I bought my lift from Marlin right before they got out of the suspension business. Everything but the high steer came from allpro. The allpro kit was a pita! I had to make my own frame bracing and modify the top piece.
IBEW Local 1116

8D3TOY

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 5
  • Member since May '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Is there an issue with the Marlin mount and a flat piman arm??  I am rolling on 3" Downeys and think I need a flat arm.

My big issue is welding, can the mount and box be bolted on and then driven a short distance to my welder?  Or is that just not a good idea.

Nimyad

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: -1
  • Male Posts: 1,138
  • Member since Sep '10
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a cigar
Umm you could do that, if it's bolted it's not like it's going to fall off. Just make sure to not put to big of a load on it, don't drive very far and make sure there's not much traffic incase it does let go. Or just trailer it...

Sparkplug

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: -130
  • Male Posts: 2,046
  • Member since Jan '08
  • Doin it Standing Up
    • View Profile
totoally fine to just bolt in to the frame, thats how it is stock. Could even wheel it. Long as all the bolts are in and tight, you will be fine.
2008 TRD 4x4 Double Cab Tacoma
1994 12 valve 5 speed 4x4 single cab dodge 2500
1986 22re 5speed 3link 4runner (the beater)
1982 3rz swapped pickup (in progress)

81yotalove

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 1
  • Male Posts: 310
  • Member since Nov '09
    • View Profile
the marlin mount will work with a flat pitman arm, just just have to modify it. it works better with a drop arm though.
81 swb 22re 35's

yotarunner85 [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Nov '09
  • San Diego, CA
    • View Profile
Yea, the Marlin Mount seam the way to go. Thanks for all the advise guys.