Author Topic: 1st gen 4.37  (Read 5641 times)

DFryou22

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since Jan '11
    • View Profile
1st gen 4.37
« on: Feb 16, 2011, 11:06:26 PM »
I want to know what you guys are running on ur 1st gen toyota pickups with stock 4.37 gears. What is the biggest tire you guys are running and what speed u are able to get on the road. I want mine to be a dd but I don't have the money to regear. I am thinking about running 33 or 35 in tires. Please help thank you

Sparkplug

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: -130
  • Male Posts: 2,046
  • Member since Jan '08
  • Doin it Standing Up
    • View Profile
Re: 1st gen 4.37
« Reply #1 on: Feb 16, 2011, 11:08:06 PM »
i run 410s, on 36s, and can pull 70mph fine, 88 4runner  stock 300k 22re 5speed
2008 TRD 4x4 Double Cab Tacoma
1994 12 valve 5 speed 4x4 single cab dodge 2500
1986 22re 5speed 3link 4runner (the beater)
1982 3rz swapped pickup (in progress)

zembalayan

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 254
  • Male Posts: 486
  • Member since Feb '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Feb 16, 2011, 11:19:08 PM »
In my 1980 4x4, I am running 33 x 10.5 x 15R BFG Mud Terrains with 4.37 diffs currently open / open.  I like the way it drives in city, on and off highway.  It's got a pretty healthy 20R and Marlin's 5spd L52HD and dual ultimates.  I have never been spoiled with any power in my life so I feel it's adequate.  On trips to and from Phoenix and the SF Bay Area it has a hard time with the hlls.  It may be in my head but when I run 91 Octane in it on such trips I can actually get up into 5th gear and hold a good speed on the flats.

kneedownnate

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1128
  • Male Posts: 9,757
  • Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Feb 17, 2011, 12:42:42 AM »
I know you're a newb, but the absolute best things you can do is use the search function when you have a question, then when that fails, manually look through the various threads in each section to find the info you need .  I can guarentee you the answers you seek have been answered many times over, and there's rarely an original question on these boards.  

The answers you seek are out there, and board members will respect you more if you've exhausted the available search avenues.  I'm not talking a couple minutes of looking, but hours, if not days.  I'm not picking on you, and there will always be members who'll chime in, but similar questions are frequently asked.  This thread was started over 5 years ago by Kyota (rip) for this very reason:  http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=16818.0

And I will throw you a bone, in good faith that you'll do your own leg work in the future.  As I've said in recents threads of the same nature, I have 4.37 and 33's.  It does fine around town and on reasonably level ground, but throw a little hill in on the highway or freeway and it falls on it's face.
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

Peterbuilt84

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 12
  • Male Posts: 1,049
  • Member since Sep '09
    • View Profile
    • Poly Goats
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #4 on: Feb 17, 2011, 01:21:24 AM »
Another good tip is to use google, if you put in site:board.marlincrawler.com and then what you are searching for you'll get a lot of good results. The search function on the forum kind of sucks sometimes.

H8PVMNT

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 452
  • Male Posts: 3,554
  • Member since May '07
  • I'LL NEVER MAKE IT...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Feb 17, 2011, 10:19:19 AM »
I ran 33s for about a year with the 4.37s and it was doable but not ideal. I just put on 31s and I think it is just right.  With 235/15s on I could do smokey burn outs all day. So in summary, 33s are doable but the hills will kick your butt, with 31s you have full command of traffic as well as can be expected from an early Toyota.  

I think 35s would be a total loss.

It has been my experience that modest tires with the proper gearing will do more for you off road than big ol' tires with lousey gearing.  With 31s and 3.37s I can spank my buddies with 35s and 37s who have stock gears on most trails.  You can out think clearance issues but you can't out think gearing.  If you are willing to regear you can have the best of both worlds, but that's not exactly free.
“I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth.”
– Steve McQueen

"Except for maybe Seattle."  -H8PVMNT

"I plan to hit 300k in this truck"  :)bestgen4runner

"I'm jealous of your shop. It has concrete and doesn't smell like pickles like the old shop  "  300K

zembalayan

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Feb '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Feb 17, 2011, 12:23:30 PM »
Another good tip is to use google, if you put in site:board.marlincrawler.com and then what you are searching for you'll get a lot of good results. The search function on the forum kind of sucks sometimes.
Learning to search effectively will help you so much with whatever you are trying to learn or build in the future.  

Peterbuilt84 makes a great point.  To amplify some of his advice, you can also modify Google searches such as “site:board.marlincrawler.com” to omit specific information from your search results by using "-keyword" formatting or even omit certain date ranges of postings by using Google's "Advanced Search" option for dates and time.  A lot of the board members are familiar with advanced Google search methods, but I will give you an example to illustrate the point.  

Let’s say you really want to build a unique Toyota 4x4, and your idea starts with obtaining a smog exempt, TRUE first generation 2WD Toyota truck, such as one of those manufactured from 1969 through 1972.  

Well, you could begin an advanced Google search of craigslist.org for all Toyotas for sale with the model years of 1969 through 1972, by typing “Toyota 1969 OR 1970 OR 1971 OR 1972 site:craigslist.org”  By typing “OR” in upper case between keywords, you allow your search to pull all postings that include either OR of the two or more keywords.  Once, you do this search, you will find that your search may turn up ads for Corollas, Landcruisers, Carinas, Starlets, Tercels, and other models that you may want omitted from your results; therefore, you can type “-Corolla -Corona -Carina -Tercel -Starlet -Celica -Landcruiser -Land -Cruiser Toyota 1969 OR 1970 OR 1971 OR 1972 site:craigslist.org” and any keyword which is directly preceded by a minus/“-“ will omit results with those words.  

You may ask why not just search for Toyota Hilux, which you surely can do, but as you will see, a lot of people out there who are advertising such vehicles do not know some of the specialized names and may just advertise the vehicle as a Toyota truck.  Or on the other hand, you may find that some people only use specialized terms in their ads such as “Toyota 4x4 with 2LT for sale” and nowhere in the ad is the term “diesel” used.  

Finally, when you search craigslist you will need to limit your date range of your search by selecting the “Advanced Search” option on the Google search page and choose to search for web posts that are only a month, a week, or a day old.  If you do not limit the date range of your searches, you will also pull a bunch of expired or deleted posts.  

However, when you search for info on building your truck here or on pirate4x4.com for example, you will not want to limit your search date range because, as KneedownNate mentioned, a lot of the more basic questions that you have may have been answered in threads from around 2002.  

I know you're a newb, but the absolute best things you can do is use the search function when you have a question, then when that fails, manually look through the various threads in each section to find the info you need .  I can guarentee you the answers you seek have been answered many times over, and there's rarely an original question on these boards.  

The answers you seek are out there, and board members will respect you more if you've exhausted the available search avenues.  I'm not talking a couple minutes of looking, but hours, if not days.  I'm not picking on you, and there will always be members who'll chime in, but similar questions are frequently asked.  This thread was started over 5 years ago by Kyota (rip) for this very reason:  http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=16818.0

And I will throw you a bone, in good faith that you'll do your own leg work in the future.  As I've said in recents threads of the same nature, I have 4.37 and 33's.  It does fine around town and on reasonably level ground, but throw a little hill in on the highway or freeway and it falls on it's face.

Take KneedownNate’s advice above, you will learn a lot more in general by finding answers yourself through searching rather than asking.  

It’s a bit of an art form when it comes to searching, and some searches are just not easy.  For instance, try searching for a rust free 2nd generation Toyota long bed pick up box as a replacement for a rusty one that you might have on your current truck.  Because the words “long bed” are often used to describe the entire truck rather than just a bed box, you may have to sift through a ton of posts before you find what you want if you find it at all.  Also, there is a question of spelling the word or words "long bed" or "longbed," which causes problems as well, and when it comes to finding what you want, you may have to search for keywords with the idea in mind that internet posters do make errors when they type, and they may disagree with how a term should be spelled or identified.  For example, is it spelled Extra Cab or Xtra Cab or King Cab?  The guy who is writing about it may not know himself.

Because searching can take a ton of time, and a lot of the senior members on these types of boards have spend a ton of time finding what they need, they can get pretty frustrated when new members don't take the time to do what the senior members have done, and instead the new members clutter up the boards with questions that have been asked and answered.  Having said that, I really appreciate veterans such as OOPS who take the time to help the less knowledgeable out, rather than simply exhorting the newb to "SEARCH!!!!" but that's just me.

For better or worse, I don’t ask many questions in forum posts, but I read a ton, and I also consider my searching skills to be pretty decent.  I personally search all over the place, too, including the Marlin board, IH8MUD.com, Pirate4x4.com (as a Red Star member), toyotadiesel.com, toyotaminis.com.

Good luck! :welcome:
« Last Edit: Feb 17, 2011, 12:36:53 PM by zembalayan »

Peterbuilt84

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Male Posts: 1,049
  • Member since Sep '09
    • View Profile
    • Poly Goats
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #7 on: Feb 17, 2011, 01:55:00 PM »
Turtle point for you zembalayan, great info  :biggthumpup:

zembalayan

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Feb '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Feb 17, 2011, 06:05:12 PM »
Turtle point for you zembalayan, great info  :biggthumpup:

Back at you for your initial suggestion on search advice! :gap:

DFryou22 [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since Jan '11
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Feb 17, 2011, 06:54:32 PM »
Thank you very much.

H8PVMNT

• Member since May '07
  • I'LL NEVER MAKE IT...
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Feb 18, 2011, 07:44:31 AM »
Learning to search effectively will help you so much with whatever you are trying to learn or build in the future. 

Peterbuilt84 makes a great point.  To amplify some of his advice, you can also modify Google searches such as “site:board.marlincrawler.com” to omit specific information from your search results by using "-keyword" formatting or even omit certain date ranges of postings by using Google's "Advanced Search" option for dates and time.  A lot of the board members are familiar with advanced Google search methods, but I will give you an example to illustrate the point. 

Let’s say you really want to build a unique Toyota 4x4, and your idea starts with obtaining a smog exempt, TRUE first generation 2WD Toyota truck, such as one of those manufactured from 1969 through 1972. 

Well, you could begin an advanced Google search of craigslist.org for all Toyotas for sale with the model years of 1969 through 1972, by typing “Toyota 1969 OR 1970 OR 1971 OR 1972 site:craigslist.org”  By typing “OR” in upper case between keywords, you allow your search to pull all postings that include either OR of the two or more keywords.  Once, you do this search, you will find that your search may turn up ads for Corollas, Landcruisers, Carinas, Starlets, Tercels, and other models that you may want omitted from your results; therefore, you can type “-Corolla -Corona -Carina -Tercel -Starlet -Celica -Landcruiser -Land -Cruiser Toyota 1969 OR 1970 OR 1971 OR 1972 site:craigslist.org” and any keyword which is directly preceded by a minus/“-“ will omit results with those words. 

You may ask why not just search for Toyota Hilux, which you surely can do, but as you will see, a lot of people out there who are advertising such vehicles do not know some of the specialized names and may just advertise the vehicle as a Toyota truck.  Or on the other hand, you may find that some people only use specialized terms in their ads such as “Toyota 4x4 with 2LT for sale” and nowhere in the ad is the term “diesel” used. 

Finally, when you search craigslist you will need to limit your date range of your search by selecting the “Advanced Search” option on the Google search page and choose to search for web posts that are only a month, a week, or a day old.  If you do not limit the date range of your searches, you will also pull a bunch of expired or deleted posts. 

However, when you search for info on building your truck here or on pirate4x4.com for example, you will not want to limit your search date range because, as KneedownNate mentioned, a lot of the more basic questions that you have may have been answered in threads from around 2002. 

Take KneedownNate’s advice above, you will learn a lot more in general by finding answers yourself through searching rather than asking. 

It’s a bit of an art form when it comes to searching, and some searches are just not easy.  For instance, try searching for a rust free 2nd generation Toyota long bed pick up box as a replacement for a rusty one that you might have on your current truck.  Because the words “long bed” are often used to describe the entire truck rather than just a bed box, you may have to sift through a ton of posts before you find what you want if you find it at all.  Also, there is a question of spelling the word or words "long bed" or "longbed," which causes problems as well, and when it comes to finding what you want, you may have to search for keywords with the idea in mind that internet posters do make errors when they type, and they may disagree with how a term should be spelled or identified.  For example, is it spelled Extra Cab or Xtra Cab or King Cab?  The guy who is writing about it may not know himself.

Because searching can take a ton of time, and a lot of the senior members on these types of boards have spend a ton of time finding what they need, they can get pretty frustrated when new members don't take the time to do what the senior members have done, and instead the new members clutter up the boards with questions that have been asked and answered.  Having said that, I really appreciate veterans such as OOPS who take the time to help the less knowledgeable out, rather than simply exhorting the newb to "SEARCH!!!!" but that's just me.

For better or worse, I don’t ask many questions in forum posts, but I read a ton, and I also consider my searching skills to be pretty decent.  I personally search all over the place, too, including the Marlin board, IH8MUD.com, Pirate4x4.com (as a Red Star member), toyotadiesel.com, toyotaminis.com.

Good luck! :welcome:

Very good info...

Now I mean absolutley no offense but good grief wouldn't it have taken less time just to answer the guys question?  :)
– Steve McQueen

"I'm jealous of your shop. It has concrete and doesn't smell like pickles like the old shop  "  300K

zembalayan

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Feb '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Feb 18, 2011, 04:58:31 PM »
Very good info...

Now I mean absolutley no offense but good grief wouldn't it have taken less time just to answer the guys question?  :)

I thought I did answer him in my first post in this thread above the post you quoted, right?
Here is my original response posted again below:
In my 1980 4x4, I am running 33 x 10.5 x 15R BFG Mud Terrains with 4.37 diffs currently open / open.  I like the way it drives in city, on and off highway.  It's got a pretty healthy 20R and Marlin's 5spd L52HD and dual ultimates.  I have never been spoiled with any power in my life so I feel it's adequate.  On trips to and from Phoenix and the SF Bay Area it has a hard time with the hlls.  It may be in my head but when I run 91 Octane in it on such trips I can actually get up into 5th gear and hold a good speed on the flats.

H8PVMNT

• Member since May '07
  • I'LL NEVER MAKE IT...
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Feb 18, 2011, 06:35:34 PM »
Right never mind....

By the way I think mine does better on higher octane too so there must be something to that.
– Steve McQueen

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Turtle Points: 730
  • Male Posts: 13,860
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
« Reply #13 on: Feb 19, 2011, 04:39:09 AM »
When I had mine I ran the 4.37's with 33's but had swapped the 20r for a 22r/20r and a turbo trans. Was OK but on long steep up hills it was lacking a little.
The Ghost-Rider/Ghost Runner

No matter how far you fall, the ground will always catch you

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
« Reply #14 on: Feb 19, 2011, 04:42:42 AM »

By the way I think mine does better on higher octane too so there must be something to that.

It's all in your mind, the higher octane burns slower and smoother than the more volitale quicker burning low octane fuel. As long as you are not pinging then low octane is no different. I run 87 in my Ford truck with a 460 no issues.

H8PVMNT

• Member since May '07
  • I'LL NEVER MAKE IT...
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Feb 19, 2011, 10:41:46 AM »
Maybe I have my timing advanced to much because I can notice a difference. Out here we have 85 octane for our regular and it really sucks for some vehicles.

I have a '91 Celica that pings like crazy on anything but 91 octane regardless of how I set the timing.  The truck should run on anything though so I think I'll mess with the timing. 
– Steve McQueen

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
« Reply #16 on: Feb 20, 2011, 01:12:03 AM »
I ran 85 octane in Utah, you can do that due to the altitude, can't run it in the lowlands or they ping. Even though a higher rated octane is used in higher hp engines it actually will reduce the amount of power you have with the higher rated octane. The lower the octane the more power it will produce but the lower the octane is the higher chance of engine knock occurs. That is the only reason you need a higher octane to reduce engine knock or pre-detonation. If you can get a vehicle to run on the lower octane without knock or pre-detonation you are just throwing away good money for no reason by running the higher octane. My 460 runs on 87 octane with no pings or detonation so that what I have always run in it. Even with my camper on it and towing I've never even had a hint of ping or I'd step up to mid-grade. My truck has 150,000 miles of 87 octane.

gnarrkill

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 9
  • Male Posts: 484
  • Member since Jul '09
  • in your neighbors tree's with binoculars
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Mar 06, 2011, 07:37:00 PM »
 running 40 mtrs with my 4.37s.. 3rd gear winner. 4th once i get to speed but if i have to speed up at all its 3rd gear to the floor
79 toyota duals,caged,40 mtrs

the build thread i dont update
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=65367.0

Gear Jammin-Dog Chasin-Yota Man

• Offline Rock Master
  • Male Posts: 180
  • Member since Feb '11
  • Man is saved by grace, through faith, not by works
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: Mar 07, 2011, 01:19:31 PM »
I drove a truck with those gears and 33's, they werent super good for throttle response, kinda bogged down.  about 55 mph on the highway was tops.
To be exact, 31's and your gears are PERFECT. 
A little bigger and you sacrifice power and mileage. 
1975 FJ-55 Landcruiser: pretty much stock with 31 x9.50x15 TSL's
1992 Extended Cab Pickup: 22r, weber carb, 51" RUF, F-150 rears, Aussie Front, Welded Rear, etc.
Build: http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=78730