Author Topic: For those who need dual batt's  (Read 3367 times)

guywithuglyyota

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 212
  • Male Posts: 810
  • Member since Jul '04
  • F-22 Crew Chief
    • View Profile
For those who need dual batt's
« on: Feb 03, 2005, 03:00:17 AM »
http://www.odysseybatteries.com/battery/pc1700mjt.htm

We use a similar design in the Air Force fighter/tankers etc... only seven inches high. batterymart.com has em for $190.00 Might be a good alternative to duals. This is what im gonna run, I will keep ya up to date on how it goes. I have not had good luck with Optimas, I know a lot of you have but they just dont seem to handle the cold, or repeated discharges as well as a true dry cell battery can (the odyssey is a true drycell). Shipping this 60lb beast might be a negative however, and its 13 inches long, but pretty short, Im sure it will clear the hood on a yota in the stock location since its shorter than the one I have now, and check out there billet hold down brackets!
« Last Edit: Feb 03, 2005, 05:30:36 PM by guywithuglyyota »
Comedy is the last refuge of the nonconformist mind.

WHITE_TRASH

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 679
  • Member since Feb '03
  • Don't blame me, I didn't vote for this crap.
    • View Profile
Re: For those who need dual batt's
« Reply #1 on: Feb 03, 2005, 03:19:07 AM »
Odyssy's are bad ass!  I totally agree with you on optima's well red tops at least, Ive got 3 wasted red tops sitting in my garage.  They all worked great for about a year then nothing, they were total junk.  I bought all of them new but was unable to do any warrenty related beings the builsness's I bought them from all closed before they went bad.  Not sure why I havent chucked them.  Maybe its the fact I cant see actually throwing something that cost so much away. 
Full hydro, 186:1 with an auto and 44's what could go wrong??

donkeykong

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: -159
  • Member since Jun '03
  • My truck and a nice trail...that's all I need
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Feb 03, 2005, 02:07:59 PM »
That looks like sweet battery, I have been thinking of upgrading my cheapo battery. I have the premier welder and several lights so I know I have more draw than the battery was designed for.  But I am running out of space under the hood for dual batteries, maybe I should suck it up and spend the cash on one of these

FATB0Y

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 2,803
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
    • fatboy on my space.com
« Reply #3 on: Feb 03, 2005, 02:29:19 PM »
Dude that is a badd azz batt.

Northern Runner

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 144
  • Male Posts: 155
  • Member since Aug '03
  • The Heart Beat of Japan!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Feb 03, 2005, 07:45:44 PM »
I am surprised you guys are having probs with the optimas... a few friends and myself run red tops for a few years now with no problems. And were in Canada (we know cold starts) LOL....
But that Odessey looks sweet.

Rockhoppa

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 52
  • Member since Mar '04
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Feb 03, 2005, 08:38:04 PM »
I use odyssey and optima batteries all the time for marine applications. I have seen alot of optima batts. come back to be replaced, and have yet to see an odyssey come back. I have a blue top optima but havent installed it cause I am going with the odyssey. I have never used either on the trail (yet),but for marine use they seem to be the way to go.

kneedownnate

• Turtle Points: 1128
  • Male Posts: 9,757
  • Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Feb 04, 2005, 09:56:22 PM »
I use odyssey and optima batteries all the time for marine applications. I have seen alot of optima batts. come back to be replaced, and have yet to see an odyssey come back. I have a blue top optima but havent installed it cause I am going with the odyssey. I have never used either on the trail (yet),but for marine use they seem to be the way to go.

That's funny, I work in a similar environment and see just the opposite.  We are just now having problems with the last of our optimas after several years of abuse, while we've had a lot more probs with odysseys.  I would highly recommend stayin away from the red top napa gel cells, we regularly pull new ones off the shelf only to find out they're bad.  2 years ago a customer wanted to replace his 3 year old yellow top optimas with new 88s and gave me his old optimas to get rid of.....I got rid of em to my house, charged em up and they all charged well and load tested well, and I use one or two in my truck(rotate them), and after hooking up a battery isolator will run 2 or 3 on the truck,     Nate
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

FATB0Y

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
    • fatboy on my space.com
« Reply #7 on: Feb 05, 2005, 03:37:16 AM »
2 years ago a customer wanted to replace his 3 year old yellow top optimas with new 88s and gave me his old optimas to get rid of.....I got rid of em to my house, charged em up and they all charged well and load tested well, and I use one or two in my truck(rotate them), and after hooking up a battery isolator will run 2 or 3 on the truck, Nate
Hey can I borrow your horse shoe? :rofl:

mr4x42u

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 700
  • Member since Sep '02
  • LOCKED AND LOADED
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Feb 05, 2005, 05:48:38 AM »
My optima is going bad in my runner after 5 years..No issues at all..
Forgiveness is between them and god..
Its my job to arrange the meeting!

kneedownnate

• Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Feb 05, 2005, 07:21:39 PM »
2 years ago a customer wanted to replace his 3 year old yellow top optimas with new 88s and gave me his old optimas to get rid of.....I got rid of em to my house, charged em up and they all charged well and load tested well, and I use one or two in my truck(rotate them), and after hooking up a battery isolator will run 2 or 3 on the truck, Nate

??????
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

FATB0Y

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
    • fatboy on my space.com
« Reply #10 on: Feb 06, 2005, 11:42:04 AM »

??????
The one ya got up your :moon: If ya don't understand your too young and I'm sorry for confusing you.

kneedownnate

• Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Feb 06, 2005, 07:20:38 PM »
Judgin from the pic of you on that bike(in "a women") you don't look much older than me,  I just look young cause I'm smaller than most second graders!  If you see my hair in the sunlight you won't think I'm young,  and besides that's not why I don't know,  I'm just a dumb inbred hick,     Nate

plus I haven't heard anyone use that expression in quite a while,  and I work with some old timers too
RIP KYOTA

FATB0Y

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
    • fatboy on my space.com
« Reply #12 on: Feb 07, 2005, 03:25:27 AM »

??????
HorseShoe=Luck :duh: 

Around here older folks say ya gotta horseshoe up your :moon: if you have good luck  :yupyup:
« Last Edit: Feb 07, 2005, 03:35:05 AM by 03HDFATBOY »

NUb

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 135
  • Male Posts: 164
  • Member since Apr '04
  • Represent the 805
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Feb 08, 2005, 09:46:59 PM »
I have hear from a few people that you need a special charger to charge gellcell batteries. you need a pulse charger? That is why the Red tops stop working when you drain them down and  charge them back up. The yellow and blue tops(deep cycles) are less affected by this. so if you had a few dead Red tops you might be able to bring them into a good shop and they might have the charger to charge them.
« Last Edit: Feb 08, 2005, 09:51:53 PM by NUb »
I would Take my truck offroad but then it would get dirty

94 exta cab 84 frame
4.88 electrics w/duals and 35's
Tacoma bed?

guywithuglyyota [OP]

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 212
  • Male Posts: 810
  • Member since Jul '04
  • F-22 Crew Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Feb 09, 2005, 02:13:07 AM »
thats definatley good advice. I have two dead optimas I will look inot this    :thumbs:
Comedy is the last refuge of the nonconformist mind.

alwayzbroken

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: 603
  • Male Posts: 1,905
  • Member since Feb '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Feb 13, 2005, 06:13:32 PM »
I love my optima yellow tops. They have never disappointed me in three years, even after my truck sits in a barn during the frigid minnesota winter with temps routinely getting below zero dergrees and not starting the truck. I am sure odyssey is great, but i will stick with the yellows until they fail. Then buy new ones.
If you still have control you aren't going fast enough

Prismo

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 8452
  • Member since Oct '03
  • Living in the green house
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Feb 13, 2005, 06:23:56 PM »
I was looking at Black Panther batteries a while back. Looked as though 2 would fit in the stock tray. I was given a red top so I didn't continue to investigate.
Retired Great White Turtle Hunter
Originally posted by fortysixandtwo – sheesh, you should see the transvestites i sell ammo to sometimes