Author Topic: Rear shock placement  (Read 2240 times)

Jared88

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: -1
  • Male Posts: 57
  • Member since Jun '10
    • View Profile
Rear shock placement
« on: Oct 21, 2010, 07:47:47 AM »
Pretty simple question, with a pretty simple answer im sure but here goes. Which is the best way to mount rear shocks? in the standard offroad toyota /\ formation, or in the factory way. IE: one facing forward and facing the rear. Granted youd be fabbing new mounts either way, im just wondering which one is a better deal. My truck sees some trail time, but honestly sees way more road than trail.

Any input would be appreciated.  :beerchug:
1988 standard cab, SAS, 5.29's....and a few other things  **SOLD**

1958 Volkswagen Bug, 2276cc, close ratio gearbox, quite a handfull.

SJyota

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 104
  • Member since Jul '08
    • View Profile
Re: Rear shock placement
« Reply #1 on: Oct 21, 2010, 08:05:05 AM »
on my 82 I /\ mine with this u will have to weld on new mounts for top and bottom. here a pic. and they are 14" shocks. only pic I could found. hop it helps.  

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 730
  • Male Posts: 13,860
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
« Reply #2 on: Oct 22, 2010, 04:11:26 AM »
 The angled shocks allow for longer shocks and more travel, the semi straight up and down configuration will limit travel unless you cut the bed.
The Ghost-Rider/Ghost Runner

No matter how far you fall, the ground will always catch you

H8PVMNT

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 452
  • Male Posts: 3,554
  • Member since May '07
  • I'LL NEVER MAKE IT...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Oct 22, 2010, 08:32:13 AM »
I took a slightly different approach that the standard A configuration with the top of the shocks nearly touching like everybody does because I haul alot of camping equipment and tools on the way to and on the trail and that configuration doesn't do much in the way of roll out, cornering ect.  I'm sure there's nothing wrong with it for most trail rigs, have tried it and it just didn't work well for me and what I expect from my Toyota. I found a configuration that guys use on prerunners and added my own twist to help with articilation...

I scooted the shock placement inboard a few inches to help the articulation issue, put both shocks to the rear of the axle and welded a tube inline with the stock rear mount on the frame with the top shock tabs on it.  Looking from the rear of the truck they are vertical  ll  ll, but they are layed back // if you look from the side.  I have found this setup to handle better for load damping and body roll, but since they are inboard a bit they aren't my limiting factor for travel either. You end up using a slightly shorter shock with this setup ( I think mine are 10 or 11 inch stroke) so you don't have them through the bed, but it still doesn't hinder articilation because the shocks are closer together on the axle.

As an added bonus the two to the rear configuration really helps out with axle wrap since it fights the kick back/unloading effect of the axle wrap.  This is also something I found out by trying different configurations over the years, not just my opinion.

Here is a tiny pic if you can make out the rear shocks you can see what I mean...

« Last Edit: Oct 22, 2010, 08:42:10 AM by H8PVMNT »
“I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth.”
– Steve McQueen

"Except for maybe Seattle."  -H8PVMNT

"I plan to hit 300k in this truck"  :)bestgen4runner

"I'm jealous of your shop. It has concrete and doesn't smell like pickles like the old shop  "  300K