Author Topic: toyota pick-up for daily driver duties  (Read 1358 times)

cgbemis

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 560
  • Male Posts: 568
  • Member since May '02
  • I love Marlin Crawler!
    • View Profile
toyota pick-up for daily driver duties
« on: Oct 12, 2010, 10:30:15 AM »
I'm looking for a toyota pick-up between 89-95 for a daily driver. It needs to be in decent shape, and can be 2wd or 4wd, and preferably under $3,500. I'm located in San Diego. Let me know what you have, details, and how much you're looking to get.

Thanks.

kneedownnate

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1128
  • Male Posts: 9,757
  • Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
Re: toyota pick-up for daily driver duties
« Reply #1 on: Oct 12, 2010, 11:54:03 AM »
Not totally sure if I wanna sell it, but I've thrown around the idea of selling my 91 sb 2wd.  Pic makes it look cleaner, but it has extensive clear coat peeling on the hood, roof and upper doors, and is starting at the top of the bed rails.  Has a matching snug top shell (replaced the struts about 3 years ago) in excellent shape.  I've owned it several years and the only mechanical issue I've had was when the alternator stopped charging, at which point I installed new brushes from Toyota.  

I bought it from the orginal owner, an older lady who kept it in great shape.  Had the typical breaking down bench seat which I covered and ran for years, then recently began installing celica buckets but stopped at the driver seat since they're uncomfortable.  I have another cover for the bottom of the bench and will be putting it back in soon.

Steering has always felt a little loose to me, but friends who've driven it thought it was tight so  :dunno:  Has always had a slight intermittent vibration from the rear, kinda like a tire is out of balance, but I've balanced them all myself and run 3 different sets of wheels and tires and it's always remained so I think it may have pitched a weight on the driveline.  It's never been bad enough for me to worry about.

Only current issue I can think of is it recently began puffing a little on startup, then the other day I noticed it would smoke if revved after putting along dirt roads at a slow speed, so I know it needs valve stem seals.  I'll replace these myself soon, I'll have to before I smog it anyway.  Body is straight with the exception of a handfull of small dings or door dents.  Bed was immaculate before I bought it, then I had 2 third members roll from one side to the other, denting the fender wells.  I also made a full length add-a-leaf to help with the rear squatting a tiny bit with the shell.
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

cgbemis [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since May '02
  • I love Marlin Crawler!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Oct 12, 2010, 12:12:15 PM »
How much would you want for it, and how many miles are on it? Also, where are you located?

kneedownnate

• Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Oct 12, 2010, 12:31:05 PM »
 :smack:  a shot over 231,000.  Haven't thought a lot about selling it, but I'd probably need $2500 at least.  Forgot to mention the clutch slips a little every once in a while, so if it came down to a sale I'd replace it if needed.  It doesn't affect it as a daily driver, and I've pulled a car trailer without issue, but once in a while when getting on it hard to get on the freeway I can feel a little slip.

I'm headed to work shortly but can get more and better pics in the next couple days if you want.  Dash is in excellent shape and has a matt on it.  Truck is the lowest model and has no goodies, but I did change out the switch assembly so it has intermittent wipers now.
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

cgbemis [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since May '02
  • I love Marlin Crawler!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Oct 12, 2010, 12:37:08 PM »
OK, thanks Nate. I'll probably be looking for something with a little fewer miles on it for now. It needs to last me for the next couple of years at least, and I plan on possibly driving across the country. So i'll probably have to pass on your truck. If you do decide on selling it, I wouldn't think you'd have too many problems for that price. It's a good deal.

kneedownnate

• Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Oct 12, 2010, 12:55:14 PM »
No worries man.  It's opitomized Toyota reliability for me, and I've never hesitated to drive it long distances, and I checked the compression 2 or 3 years back and it was still within a few pounds of new.  I always recant when I consider selling it since I don't know if I can find another that's so reliable  :dunno:

You're probably a bit far to work out a deal too, but I'll let you know if I hear of anything closer  ;)
RIP KYOTA

cgbemis [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since May '02
  • I love Marlin Crawler!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Oct 12, 2010, 01:44:20 PM »
Cool man, I apreciate it  8).