Author Topic: 1000 yard shooting match in Red Bluff, Ca saturday  (Read 1778 times)

kneedownnate

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1128
  • Male Posts: 9,757
  • Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
1000 yard shooting match in Red Bluff, Ca saturday
« on: Feb 20, 2009, 10:14:10 PM »
Anybody going?  My friend and I are headed down to check it out.  It'll be neat to see people shoot at that distance in person, but more than anything I'm looking forward to checking out the various setups being utilized.  I'm also really curious to see how the range is set up.

So is anybody else planning to go?
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

abnormaltoy

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 714
  • Male Posts: 640
  • Member since Jul '03
  • I'll do the thinnin' around here Baba Looey!
    • View Profile
Obviously...I'm not going, just a little too far. I would be interested in hearing what the hot setups are.
The things that come to those who wait, may be the things left by those who got there first.

I contend that for a nation to try to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle.
-- Winston Churchill

Censorship, that most subtle tool of oppression, the tool of the fearful and small minded. 8/15/2008

"It is interesting that we are asked to NOT judge all Muslims by the actions of a few lunatics. Too bad gun owners can't get same judgment."
Travis Tritt (I know!)

kneedownnate [OP]

• Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
Well, I'm back.  It was pretty cool, but it would have been cooler if they'd had a sign up and we hadn't gone 10 miles past, then stopped two places in bfe to get directions  :shake: 

Hot setups... an older gentleman came up and started talking to us just after we got there and said most people were using 6mm in one variant or another.  He went over a lot of the calibers people used, and I can tell you most of them ended in "ackley"  :gap:  He said they no longer allowed the .416 higby... rigby... :headscratch: whichever one is a necked down 50bmg.  They use a solid copper bullet, and there are guys in bunkers behind the targets and they can get showered with hot little copper bits  :ack:

I was kinda stoked that there was a guy there who has some remington 788's set up with bull barrels, but I couldn't remember who he said it was, and I didn't know where he got off to when we were ready to leave.

I got some pics, lemme see what I can do...
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

Duffil

• *lurker*
  • Turtle Points: 138
  • Male Posts: 4,844
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
    • PhotoBucket
    • Buy me a beer
:worthless:

why are there guys in bunkers and how do I get that job?

kneedownnate [OP]

• Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
:haha:  I'm workin on it man!  It's just so much easier to resize the pics for pirate since they can be a lot bigger.  Here you go.

First pic is the guy with a .338 lapua, loudest frickin cannon I've ever heard  :haha:

Second pic is of the 3 year old girl who was walking around behind him, then to the left of the cone there was a tree that she just kept circling singing "la la la la la la" the whole time, and not once did she so much as flinch when he shot that thing  :rofl2:  I couldn't help but chuckle when she just kept singing, seemingly oblivious to the shooting! 

Third pic was a guy to his left, and if you look in the distance you can barely see the 1000 yard targets.  Next pic is of his gun, but he was busy talking to friends so I didn't get to find out what it was.  We ended up talking to the two guys in hoodies in the third pic.  The one on the left was the little girl's dad, and when I mentioned that she hadn't flinched once and that she seemed to have a very good understanding of staying behind the line, he just kinda chuckled about the no flinching and said she was just very well mannered and did what she was told.  It showed, the whole time we sat there talking she just sat right next to him watching the guys shooting, and she only said anything when he asked her a question.

Fourth pic is standing by the bench looking down range toward the 600 and 1000 yard berms.  The small white dot by the little yellow wind sock is the 600 yard berm, and the small series of several white dots toward the ridgeline are the 1000 yard targets.  The next pic is from the same spot but zoomed out.  I've long said I can't judge yardage well at all, which was totally evident when the guy told us the closer berm was only 600 yards, cause I woulda guessed it to be between 300-400 yards!  I guess I really DO need to buy a rangefinder before I go pronghorn antelope hunting!
« Last Edit: Feb 21, 2009, 10:00:37 PM by kneedownnate »
RIP KYOTA

Duffil

• *lurker*
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
    • PhotoBucket
    • Buy me a beer
I just looked on pirate.I want a job in the bunker. resize to 640*480 and you should be golden. that's what I do. what program do you use?

kneedownnate [OP]

• Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
Kodak.  Gives me small, medium or large, but if I click custom it expands the window and gives me a larger option, or I can change the size in the custom option to whatever I want, plus there's another to make them thumbnail size.  I usually just look at the pic size as it comes from the camera and click whatever option I think will give me the largest pic to post, and if there's a big gap between them I customize to get it as close to 100mb as possible.
RIP KYOTA

Duffil

• *lurker*
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
    • PhotoBucket
    • Buy me a beer
you know, I like shooting comps but I think being clamped in a vise don't really mean crap.try shooting 1KYDS in the prone position using a 30-.06 or something and I'll give you props.

you want a copy of Macromedia FireWorks? It's like paint but super powerful. PM me if you want it.

kneedownnate [OP]

• Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
Thanks for the offer, but I'll pass for now.  My computer is so loaded up with programs that I finally had to stop loading any new programs. 

Try shooting a 30-06 from ANY position and I'll give you mad props  :haha:  Here's the last pic I had of the metric range.  From where they were shooting there was a range off to the right that used meters instead of yards, the furthest being 500 meters.
RIP KYOTA

abnormaltoy

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 714
  • Male Posts: 640
  • Member since Jul '03
  • I'll do the thinnin' around here Baba Looey!
    • View Profile
I like the little man targets. I can't make up my mind if they're Yosemite Sam or the Hamburglar.

Looks like it would've been a good way to kill an afternoon...I need to hit one down here someday.
The things that come to those who wait, may be the things left by those who got there first.

I contend that for a nation to try to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle.
-- Winston Churchill

Censorship, that most subtle tool of oppression, the tool of the fearful and small minded. 8/15/2008

"It is interesting that we are asked to NOT judge all Muslims by the actions of a few lunatics. Too bad gun owners can't get same judgment."
Travis Tritt (I know!)

mudguts

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 1114
  • Member since Mar '04
  • Meat of the Gods
    • View Profile
SWEET!!! We have a thousand yard range here in Coalinga. I've been to some matches and seen some really awesome shooting. The guys behind the bunkers here, set the silhouettes back up after being hit and spray paint the hit marks black. The black paint makes target aquisition much easier against the tan dirt background   8)
:nerv:                                                                                               :turtle: I love T.I.T.S. :turtle: