Author Topic: '82 Toy Ignitor upgrade how to?  (Read 2552 times)

Lonestar Honcho

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since Feb '06
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
'82 Toy Ignitor upgrade how to?
« on: Jul 08, 2010, 10:26:04 AM »
Hey all, I'm finally going to tackle my ignition problem with a upgrade I was told about here on Marlin.

"The Rock", who also owns a Hilux PM'd me a way to use a '77 GM HEI style ignition module in place of the ignitor that sits under the coil.
I recently PM'd The Rock back to ask a couple more questions and am waiting for his response.
I'm doing this because I recently have gone through one other good ignitor in place of the original. It lasted a couple of months with no problems.

Has anyone else thought or heard about doing this?

My questions to The Rock are basically wiring related. The new module has only four spaded locations for wires whereas I have six wires. Maybe it would be better explained if I posted The Rock's PM to me...

"1st the module - I am using a "Niehoff"p/n DR 400CS for a 77 camaro 350 HEI distributor. The module has to be mounted on a aluminum heat sink w/ a coating of dielectric grease between the module and heat sink( for heat dissapation) the block of aluminum will mount to the inner fender of the truck near where the igniter used to live.The aluminum block needs to be slightly larger than the new module.
 There are 4 terminals on the GM Module   "B, C,G,W"
B terminal goes to 12 volt    (pos side of coil )
C terminal goes to ign power( neg side of coil)
G terminal-TO DISTRIBUTOR
W terminal-TO DISTRIBUTOR
The G and the W terminals will attach to the pink/white wires from the distributor .These used to go to the igniter. You will need some zip ties, 4 female spade connectors, some butt connectors(2) and some 12 g wire. It is VERY IMPORTANT that the wires from the distributor( pink/ white) going to the GM module (G,W) are INSULATED AND ROUTED AWAY FROM THE EXHAUST!!.."---The Rock

My question is do I double the wires on each of the spade connectors for the B terminal (12 volt and pos side of coil)? And double the wires for the spade connector for the C terminal (ign and neg side of the coil)?

Thanks for reading and helping a Toy fan out! :beerchug:
DD '82 Toyota 4WD LWB, L-52HD, 31" BFG's, 3" Skyjacker, Orig. Blue paint with AC.

jimbo74

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 2872
  • Male Posts: 8,707
  • Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
Re: '82 Toy Ignitor upgrade how to?
« Reply #1 on: Jul 08, 2010, 11:14:35 AM »

for a 1973 chevy truck 350 v8 (or any round coil with negative/positive terminals on it) (11.99 autozone) and a "ignition module" from a 1985 chevy k10 350 v8 truck (14.99 autozone)

your igntion hot wire (or any hot wire if you wanna have a toggle switch hidden some where) goes to the b terminal on the gm ign modu then from term b run a wire to the positive term on the gm coil. then run a wire from the c term on the gm ign mod to the negative term on the gm coil. then the g and w term on the ign mod go to the two wires coming out of the distributor cap. just use trial and error hooking them up, if you hook em wrong it will idle real high and fast rough, if you hook em up right itll run perfect. theres only two wires so its 50/50 not too hard.

soldering would be best on all the new connections along with grease, also on the bottom side of the gm ignition module is metal that is your ground to bolt it or wire that to your old ground on the fender
:usa:

The cost of freedom is always high, but Americans have always paid it. And one path we shall never choose, and that is the path of surrender, or submission.

~ John F. Kennedy ~

motormouth559

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Male Posts: 917
  • Member since Oct '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Jul 08, 2010, 11:33:51 AM »
wen you do this upgrade post some pics of your process I'm looking at doing the same thing but electrical scares the :pokinit: out of me i like to keep it as simple as possible anyways good luck

Lonestar Honcho [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Feb '06
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Jul 08, 2010, 01:53:03 PM »
Thanks for replying Jimbo  :biggthumpup:

I promise to get some pics up...later today.

I hooked everything up as yall have suggested and I can get it to run but it's real sluggish and doesn't want to idle. I tried to rev it up to see if it would smooth out but its a dog! I mean it doesn't sound like it has any power. I've changed out the wires to the coil both ways because I don't know which side of the coil is positive and which side is negative. I've left the distributor wires alone because I'm assuming it just provides a loop and doesn't matter which way their plugged in as long as their going to the "G" and "W" posts.

Any advice or help? This is my DD and I might be looking for a ride tomorrow to work! :smack:
DD '82 Toyota 4WD LWB, L-52HD, 31" BFG's, 3" Skyjacker, Orig. Blue paint with AC.

Lonestar Honcho [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Feb '06
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Jul 08, 2010, 05:24:45 PM »

Here's the pics of the install... :help:

***Edit*** Guess it would help if I grounded the setup! :hammer:
« Last Edit: Jul 08, 2010, 05:30:32 PM by Lonestar Honcho »

Lonestar Honcho [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Feb '06
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Jul 10, 2010, 10:42:22 AM »
***Edit***

I think I finally found the place to go...thanks guys.

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=179253&highlight=gm+toy_ignitor
http://bbs.zuwharrie.com/content/topic,85514.0.html

My pink/white distributor wires were crossed...and they do make a difference!
« Last Edit: Jul 10, 2010, 11:45:52 AM by Lonestar Honcho »