Author Topic: ARB compressor blowing fuses  (Read 3931 times)

Dingman.

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1125
  • Male Posts: 3,448
  • Member since Oct '08
    • View Profile
ARB compressor blowing fuses
« on: May 18, 2010, 08:23:17 AM »
I have a front arb and compressor/wiring i bought from a buddy a while ago and i am having an issue with it.
I have it hooked up correctly according to the ARB directions i looked up, but the problem is it won't stay running long without popping the fuse.
Sometimes it would go a couple cycles and then the fuse would pop, and now it seems like it is happening before the first compressor cycle is done.

Is there anyway to test what is going on with this?  Or is it common when something is not properly installed? 

The only other description i have is that when the compressor is on, the red/black wires coming directly off the compressor itself gets pretty darn warm to the touch.  So i do not know if it is a grounding issue or what. 

I would appreciate it if someone could point me in the proper direction.

YotaNate

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 1
  • Male Posts: 276
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
Re: ARB compressor blowing fuses
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2010, 08:44:05 AM »
If the wire is getting hot I would be willing to bet that your ground is no good and or the wire size is much to small/long for the load it's carrying.  Heat is a byproduct of resistance, IE bad connection (ground) or the wire is just physically to small.  

Nate
« Last Edit: May 18, 2010, 09:02:24 AM by YotaNate »
"A CNN reporter, while interviewing a Marine Sniper asked.  What do you feel when you shoot a terrorist"?
The Marine shrugged and replied, "Recoil."

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1452
  • Male Posts: 22,633
  • Member since May '02
  • Solid axle Toys Rule ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • HotSprings Superlift ORV park
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2010, 09:00:46 AM »
I have a front arb and compressor/wiring i bought from a buddy a while ago and i am having an issue with it.
I have it hooked up correctly according to the ARB directions i looked up, but the problem is it won't stay running long without popping the fuse.
Sometimes it would go a couple cycles and then the fuse would pop, and now it seems like it is happening before the first compressor cycle is done.

Is there anyway to test what is going on with this?  Or is it common when something is not properly installed? 

The only other description i have is that when the compressor is on, the red/black wires coming directly off the compressor itself gets pretty darn warm to the touch. So i do not know if it is a grounding issue or what. 

I would appreciate it if someone could point me in the proper direction.

i'm not familiar with the wireing schematic of the ARB  but it sounds like either  a serious ground issue (or lack there of) or the compressor motor itself is damaged inside causing a much heavier than normal load on the electrical circuit.
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

Dingman. [OP]

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1125
  • Male Posts: 3,448
  • Member since Oct '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2010, 09:04:27 AM »
Well it is the harness that comes with the Arb compressors so I am not sure of the wire size

http://www.offroaders.com/tech/ARB-air-locker-diagrams.htm  That is the diagram i used when wiring it up.
So wouldn't the ground to the battery, and being bolted to the fender be a sufficient ground?

Snowtoy

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 1403
  • Male Posts: 2,583
  • Member since Sep '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2010, 07:40:51 PM »
Popped fuses is usually a sign of insufficient ground, or to much amperage draw by the unit, undersized fuse etc.  I would ground wire down to the frame, that should resolve the external ground issue.  If that doesn't resolve the issue, then you have an internal problem w/the ARB comp, it may be worn out and drawing to much current, or has an internal short. 

'90 black X-cab mod'd 3.0, 33's/4.88's, rear ARB, custom bumpers, sliders, safari rack, etc.
'91 Blue X-cab 22re, 35's/5.29's,Truetrac front, ARB rear, dual cases, and custom Safari flatbed, bumper, interior.
The money pit '87 Supra resto/mod